“Spacious and lively”

St Christopher's Gare du Nord Paris
Ranked #7 of 178 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here at the beginning and the end of a 3.5 month trip around Europe and it was a lovely stay both times. Staff where friendly and well organised. There is a fun atmosphere throughout and suitably priced for all travellers.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for St Christopher's Gare du Nord Paris

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

The hostel was brilliant - the staff on the front desk were extremely helpful with recommendations of restaurants and general info - but the staff who managed breakfast looked and acted like it was the worst job imaginable! So unfriendly! The breakfast was the best of the travelling experience though - and free!!
The rooms were super clean and the shared bathrooms were clean and spacious!
Great atmosphere in the bar and cool live music on certain nights too! Cheap drink deals too- brilliant for students, travellers and groups of friends visiting Paris for short or long stay :)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen P
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Beds where extremely comfortable, with curtains, light, little shelf... the room even had its own sink.
Breakfast was very good, bathrooms were clean.

The only bad thing is that, on contrary to what I was told, people who checked in online had to queue with everybody else. Also, I was in a female only dorm, but I saw men wandering around the hall.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hostel was great! The staff was super friendly and helpful. The rooms were large and comfortable. In this location, they give you a duvet cover and towel. Each bed has a curtain with a power strip and light above the head. Nicer than some of the hotels I've stayed at!
There was free WiFi that worked quickly on my iPhone.
The Gare du Nord location is connected to a restaurant where free breakfast is served (cereal, bread, ham, coffee, tea, juice, etc.). The restaurant also has "deals" at night for food and drink, which probably are not that good, but still a great way to get to know other people in the hostel. Indeed, St. Chris' works at creating a social atmosphere to enable travelers to get to know each other. However, I didn't find that this contributed to a noisy location and was able to fall asleep early any night. In addition, they offer a lot of opportunities through various tourist groups to make navigating Paris quite easy.
The location is a bit far from the hub of sight-seeing (about a 45 minute walk from the Lourve), but a short 3 minute walk to the nearest train/metro station. there also was at least 1 (but often up to 3 or 4; I think they were all friends) security guards at the entrance of the building at all times. This definitely made me feel safe, though I didn't feel like the neighborhood needed it.
There were mostly 20-somethings there, but I saw people of all ages including families (who would have private rooms).
I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Paris. I also will consider St. Christopher's locations when travelling to other cities.

Room Tip: I stayed in an all-female dorm which was probably quieter than a mixed dorm.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristyisty
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights while visiting Paris. It is a good location as it is just a little walk from one of the main railway stations, gare du nore. The rooms are also great I love the curtains on the bunks as it gives privacy and there is your own light, USB port and PowerPoint outlet. The breakfast is good in the morning and the down stairs bar has cheap food and drinks for lunch and dinner. The washing is also super cheap, less than 5 euro to wash and dry. Would definitely recommend to any back packers

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely hostel with excellent facilities- the rooms are nice and clean, very close to the station so you can get around Paris, a bar next door linked to the hostel. However the trip was tainted by an unprofessional team of staff. There were several isolated incidents over the course of the four days we stayed there were the staff were just a bit useless.

Upon check in we were told it would take 45 minutes to split the payment by card- even though we had already emailed beforehand asking if this process was possible- they confirmed it was. It appeared to us that the member of staff in question was just trying to decrease his own workload, instead of complying with a simple request.

Another incident occurred when I asked the way to get to Versailles and what the best metro ticket was. The girl on reception, although helpful actually gave us FALSE information- suggesting that buying the ten book of metro tickets would get us to and from the Palace. This was not the case, you have to buy a special type of ticket. This lack of knowledge and divulging of false information is extremely poor from a hostel which gives the impression it can provide accurate information on the city.

The final incident which occurred, which prompted me to write this review was at 9.30am at breakfast. The lower bar was full so we sat in the tables at the top and back of the bar. All these tables come with breakfast menus and a sign saying 'dear guests. Please don't leave dirty plates on the table', so we assumed we could sit there. An extremely rude member of staff told us we were not allowed to sit there. The six of us moved into the main bar area and there was no where to sit. I then asked a different member of the bar staff if we were allowed to sit there and she said yes- appearing quite confused that we had asked such a question! We went back to sit at our original table and the first man came back asking us again what we were doing there- I replied saying there was no where to sit and the other member of staff said we could. He shrugged his shoulders and ordered us to clear our plates after. The area then gradually filled up with others eating breakfast- very strange! It seemed as though he too was trying to decrease his workload rather than accommodating the guests at the establishment.

It is such a shame that this hostel is let down by such rude and unprofessional staff. I would not recommend this hostel or come back again.

Another negative point is that to leave your luggage in the hostel before checking in or after checking out costs FIVE euros!!!

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank missymarsh28293
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed here as part of a Topdeck tour and shared with 3 of my touring companions. The room was fairly small but had an ensuite with a hot shower. The hostel itself is very lively and 'trendy' with a cool bar with live music pretty much every night. Warning, the hostel does this every night and it is incredibly noisy if you intend to go to bed before 2am. However, after 2am it is silent and was really easy to sleep. Breakfast was included and was ok- no toaster though- just basic cereal and juice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo