“Best Hotel in Paris!”

Hotel de la Porte Doree
Ranked #257 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 January 2014

After 16 trips to France, with 6 stays in Porte Doree, it's now the only hotel we stay at. My wife is French and we go back at least once a year, typically staying in Paris for few days. We have stayed in about 30 hotels in Paris in the last 18 years, but 5 years ago we discovered Hotel de la Porte Doree, and it is easily the best hotel and value for quality, probably of any hotel we've ever stayed in, anywhere. We don't even bother looking at other hotels or rates, we just book at Porte Doree. Over the last 5 years, I've gotten to know the neighborhood, and unlike hotels in tourist districts, Porte Doree is in a real Parisian neighborhood. This means that you will find nice, courteous, French people at the local shops and restaurants. Within 5 blocks of the hotel you will find: an ATM, a bank, a convenience store, a super-market, a laundry, an award wining bakery, 2 Parisian bar cafes, a pharmacy, at least 8 restaurants, 2 playgrounds, the largest park in Paris, and free street parking. Across the street is a park with a playground, essential when you are travelling with kids who just got off a plane! The hotel even has a basket of toys to lend to little guests. The hotel is like stepping back into a postcard of an old Parisian hotel, but with tasteful modern updates. The library of shared books in the staircase is a favorite - bring a novel from home to trade. A hybrid US/European breakfast is served in the dining room (worth every euro-cent), where you can fill up on a good meal before heading to the tourist sites which are only a metro ride away. The rooms are clean and well furnished, and I've stayed in enough of them to understand how they are all different. Street side rooms allow you to people watch Paris just by opening your window; yes you can hear some city noises, but you also get to see the mounted French Republican guard (look it up) clop up the street to practice in the neighboring forest. Back side rooms are a little quieter, and let you look over Parisian rooftops. I think I actually prefer the street side. The rooms vary in size, but that is part of the charm of being in an old Parisian building. All of the staff are bilingual in French/English, with a few other languages tossed in. My wife raves about the bath products, but I'm more interested in the nice bedding and comfortable beds for jet-lag recovery. Over the last 5 years, we've gotten to know some of the staff. The hotel is owned by an American/French couple, and has at least two Americans on staff; this has resulted in a subtle mix of the cultures which makes for a better experience than any other hotel I've seen. I've sent my doctor, my lawyer, an old friend, a business associate, and a cousin, to stay at Porte Doree, and they have all come back raving about it. I literally carry a card in my wallet to give away when the subject comes up. My doctor still thanks me saying his wife thought it was one of their best vacations. You won't regret staying here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but they vary in size, facing light, and view, so ask at check-in for the on...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Seanfromseattle
ChristinaPorteDoree, Owner at Hotel de la Porte Doree, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

That is amazing, thank you. I'm so happy you found us I promise we will do everything in our power to try to make everyone have the experience you detail. That is very kind of you to write a review like that and to pass on our card.

This year we have so many projects planned, I can't wait for you and your family to come back and let me know what you think. And if you have any ideas on what would make the hotel even better feel free to email us. We even take advice from children so let us know what they think too!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was born in france but since moved to the US and still like to stay in French hotels that are good quality and convenient to any place in Paris.
Hotel de la Porte Doree is the only hotel I have stayed in that meets these requirements: they have a nice old building, but the rooms are very clean and newly renovated while keeping their french charm. The hotel is close to the subway and in a nice neighborhood but is quiet. You also have a typical french market across the street and the hotel is kid friendly. If you need a good breakfast before heading out for a day in Paris, it has a great reasonably priced breakfast every morning. In case you do not speak french, the staff is fluent in English as well.
All in all a great deal in Paris! I would not stay any other place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Isabellek
ChristinaPorteDoree, Owner at Hotel de la Porte Doree, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. Our lives can be so busy that I know it takes an extra special effort to go write reviews and we really appreciate it.

We are equipping all of the rooms right now with DVD players and hopefully by the end of the month we should have a good selection of DVD's for children. That way you can get that first hour calm and quiet to unpack your bags!

Take care and again, thank you very much.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We started staying here in 2002 when the hotel was newly opened. We've gone back and stayed every year since. Christina and Laurent are such warm hosts...actually the whole staff is super-friendly and attentive. This hotel is very reasonably priced and very comfortable and clean. And if you don't know Paris, don't worry about that; the hotel is 20 steps from the Metro station at Porte Doree so you're moments from all the sights you'll want to see. The staff will give you directions and advice in their flawless English or French! I like this hotel so much, I wouldn't stay anywhere else...and I have brought friends and work associates here over and over, reserving multiple rooms on two or three occasions. Never had a problem. Email responsiveness is quick, reservations are handled professionally and efficiently. We've never had a bad room. Some are smaller, but always comfortable. We love room 37 for it's patio, but on our last visit we stayed upstairs and had a cool view of the neighborhood. I love this place!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back and upstairs are bright and sunny, Room 37 has a really cool patio for enjoying co...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank TimDakin

What a wonderful review! Thank you so, so much. It has always been a pleasure to have you stay with us and we are always looking forward to your return. If we were sitting in front of a bottle of wine I would cheers to the years to come

Reviewed 6 January 2014

There was some confusion about a reservation I'd made and cancelled last spring for a Christmastime stay for my daughters and myself. When I emailed and brought the "system glitch" to the attention of the staff and owners, they were professional and comprehensive in their responses - in perfect English (which is sometimes a worry when you're booking and traveling overseas.) If an experience at the hotel is anything like this communication experience, I cannot wait to stay there!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank emcfish
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights from December 30 to January 2nd. The hotel was everything we expected and more! Very friendly and helpful staff, tasteful decor and ideally located.

We stayed on the first floor over looking the street. We were initially concerned about some of the reviews complaining about the metro noise. There was no need to worry. We slept really well and the periodic rumble was distant at best. Our bedroom was great with flat screen tv, free wifi and iPod docking station. The bathroom was beautifully clean with ample towels etc.

The Porte Doree Metro stop is immediately outside the front door of the hotel which is very handy for the short trip in to Paris central.

There was plenty of local eateries, fruit and veg shop and mini supermarket across the road.

We hope to return soon! Thanks again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ourfrank34
ChristinaPorteDoree, Owner at Hotel de la Porte Doree, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy to see you enjoyed the hotel and the area. The receptionists all read our reviews to see what we are doing right and what needs to be improved so I'm sure they will be pleased to read yours. If you have the time we would love to get your feed back on what we could have done to receive the fith star in your review. We have many projects planned this year and we would like to add extras that our clients find important. If you would like to help us out you can email the hotel and address it to the owner, Me :-)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had a great stay at this charming hotel during new years eve. The lady at the reception and the man at the breakfast are very friendly and extremely helpfull, but the guard at night does not provide a lot of information upon arrival.
We had a maintenance problem in our bathroom which was fixed the following day and we were offered free breakfast for the trouble.
The breakfast was plentiful and consisted of very tasteful croissants, tea, coffee or hot chocolat, pains au chocolat, bread with nuts, boiled eggs, charcuterie and fresh fruit juices.
The rooms are charming decorated, there s free Wifi, television, radio, safety box, wardrobe, modern bathroom with bath tub and hairdryer, soft towels, blankets and pillows. There was no minibar, nor shampoo/bathgel/sewing kit.
The hotel has an elevator, which has to be the smallest one i ve ever seen but it does his job. On the 3rd and 4th floor you barely hear the metro. There s a metrostop just in front of the hotel (porte doree, follow exit 2) and which takes you in 15min to the citycenter. The hotel is situated on à busy street, close to a McDonald's, Quick and Subway, but you re in no time in the cosy little streets of paris or at the highlights of the city.
We liked le Marais and place marche saint catherine. Enjoy wine and cheese at cafe de l industrie or cafe pure, nice italian food at caruso and the best macarons are definitely from cafe pouchkin, trust me!

Room Tip: higher floors have almost no noise of the metro, room 44 is very cosy and has a double bed
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. I'm so pleased that Jodie and Gopi were helpful, they will be happy to read this :-) I will check with the night men and see what we can do. It is a bit harder for them as they don't speak English as well as the day staff.

That is great that you enjoyed the breakfast and the decoration in the rooms. I'm surprised to hear you did not have shampoo and shower gel in your room. We have distributors in all of the rooms with organic products, I will verify to see what could have happened. I'm very sorry about that.

Again thank you for taking the time to write and we hope to see you in Paris again!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I was in Paris for business for two nights and booked a room at Porte Doree as recommended by a local colleague. Having heard many horror stories of some small hotels in Paris, I was hesitant to believe the nice pictures on the hotel website, but to my delight, the hotel turned out to be just as lovely as described. I had a simple, small single room - a tiny little place, but with all the basics that I needed, and everything spotlessly clean.

The staff was really helpful and friendly throughout the reservation process and during my stay. The breakfast was delicious; the hotel aims to use as many local and organic products as possible, which I find important. They also have a strong emphasis on eco-friendliness and recycling.

Even though the hotel is bit far from the centre, the connectivity with metro is superb: the closest station (Porte Doree) is just a few metres from the front door. For light sleepers it might be useful to know that you do hear the metros underground in your room. The re are some nice little restaurants nearby, a boulangerie across the street, and a supermarket within walking distance. The area is not touristic but a residential one, which gives a nice feel of being in the real Paris rather than pushing through the tourist crowds in the centre.

I highly recommend this hotel to anybody wishing to get good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank KayHelsinki

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review and for 5 stars! We are so happy to see you had a good stay and that you liked the area. Our single rooms are perfect for one person traveling solo and on a budget. They are our smallest rooms but they have the same amenities as the other rooms, safety boxes large enough for your computer, free wifi, dock iPod (we have adapters for those of you with a iPhone 5), tv and very soon DVD player, hair dryer etc.

Take care and we hope to have you stay with us again!