“Charming hotel with few flaws”
Review of L'Hotel

L'Hotel
Ranked #615 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My fiance and I just had a three-night stay at L'hotel. We were in town visiting friends who live in Paris and then went to Rome to visit family. We were looking for a comfortable, romantic hotel that could provide a nice place for us to sleep but was also close enough to the center of Paris so we could get out and see sites during the day. I wish I could write an outstanding review for L'hotel, but there were a few flaws that stopped our stay there just short of amazing.

Let's start with the good stuff..
The hotel has a lot of history and is in a beautiful location (neighborhood is Saint Germain des Pres, a very artsy district with small streets and lots of art galleries). It is very close to lots of restaurants as well as tourist attractions (Notre Dame, Louvre, etc were all within walking distance).
The bar and restaurant looked very nice, although we did not have a chance to eat or drink in either of them.
The rooms are beautifully decorated (very old school, charming Parisian style) and they have very nice touches to make them comfortable - air conditioning, turn down service, mini bar, nice toiletries, comfy robes and slippers, etc. They even put my bouquet of flowers in a vase for me when they did the turn down service without us asking. Beds were extremely comfortable with nice linens.
The staff was very pleasant and did the best they could to accommodate us when we ran into a bit of an issue..

which brings me to the bad part..

The day that we checked into the hotel, we met our friends in the park in front of the Eiffel Tower for a picnic, where my fiance proposed to me - it was very romantic (albeit a little cheesy) but it was an unforgettable experience that we'll always cherish. We looked forward to going back to the hotel to have some romance, but upon arrival, we noticed that it was a little noisy in the room. There was a lot of banging and music coming from the restaurant downstairs (we were in room 14 on the 1st level which is literally right above the hotel restaurant). We realized we were very tired and went to sleep. We were woken up at 7AM by the sound of the music coming from the restaurant as well as the banging from the kitchen and also from the old elevator, which happened to be right next to our room, as well. Okay, we get it, old hotel - it's going to be noisy, but this was a bit much. My fiance went downstairs to ask if we could switch rooms, to which they replied that they had a room on the 4th floor that we would have to pay 150 more euro for. We said forget it, we only have two more nights here, maybe tomorrow will be better..

But no, we woke up the next day at 6AM with the same (or even worse) level of noise coming from the restaurant, kitchen, and elevator. I also think the fact that the hotel is in a circular shape creates a noise vaccuum, so every time anyone slams a door, it's ten times louder than it normally would be.. I was very upset and could not believe that they would expect anyone to pay 310 euro for this room that we couldn't even sleep it, so I called to complain again. The gentleman we spoke with, Olivier, was very kind and told us he was try to work something out. At this point, we were so jetlagged that we just wanted to sleep in a bit to catch up on sleep. We didn't care about the size of the room, we just wanted some peace and quiet so we could relax.

Olivier called us at 11:30AM to inform us that he had a larger room for us on the 4th floor and we wouldn't have to pay a higher rate. We were so happy to hear this and immediately jumped at the opportunity. We moved up to room 40, which was VERY special - huge bedroom, sitting room, bathroom, two closets, large windows overlooking the street. We definitely felt like we were in the honeymoon suite and we highly recommend it to anyone looking for a special experience in Paris. Even though the room faced the street (room 14 faced a courtyard in the back of the hotel), it still seemed much quieter.
I will say that the elevator was still extremely noisy - it is ancient and any time it moves it makes loud banging noises. I advise requesting a room that is NOT next to the elevator.
We would have had an amazing night of sleep for our last night in Paris, but unfortunately the guests in the room upstairs were up stomping around like maniacs until 5AM. This we cannot blame on the hotel, but again, it is very old and the walls/floors are super thin, so you can hear EVERYTHING.

Unfortunately, since we did not have a restful stay and couldn't get over our jetlag, this made our experience at L'hotel unfavorable. Other than the quality of sleep and noise, everything else about L'hotel was very nice. I would recommend this hotel to an older crowd, I think we were the youngest people staying there. I also want to thank Olivier for stepping up and moving us into a nicer room for our last night, even though it was still pretty loud, but it wasn't their fault for the people upstairs. Next time we're in Paris, we might spring for something a little more modern that might have thicker walls..

Room Tip: Avoid room 14 - it is right above the restaurant/kitchen and it very noisy. Avoid any room right nex...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmajr23

Reviewed 24 August 2013

It was an absolute privilege to stay at this historical boutique hotel. As soon as you enter the tiny lobby you step back in time. The small rooms are expensive but exquisite, decorated in style. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Super cosy, great decoration and service! Absolutely recomend, specialy for couples.
I will absolutely go back.
The hamman pool was another plus, you can book a private time to use the swimming pool and sauna in the basement, remember to bring some champagne!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the "mignon" rooms, that are supposed to be a bit smaller, but it was...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julia A
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

This is a special hotel with a special history. The staff were fantastic and not do enough to make stay special they even went with you to help find the public parking. The restaurant was closed in August but there are good places to eat nearby. The rooms are all different and we had to move rooms because the first one was to difficult for my wife to get into bath to have shower but the staff were very helpfull

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed here for three nights in early August 2013 and absolutely loved it. I thought it was stylish, comfortable and friendly. The bed and pillows in my room were probably the most comfortable of any hotel I've ever stayed in, and the room itself was blissfully quiet. I'd certainly stay there again, given the opportunity, but would probably pay extra for one of the larger rooms next time, as storage space in the Bijou rooms is limited, and we found ourselves having to step over our suitcases. The location is great, with Rive Droite and St Germain des Pres both within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I discovered this beautiful parisian spot thanks to great friends. It's a very confidential place, with great elegance, calm and originality in the middle of the Quartier Latin.
The attention is absolutely superb and the rooms are as great ars novelists can tell...

Room Tip: N° 16 was Oscar Wilde's room. Or anyone with balcony. Tip : Reserve the excellent restaurant o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights on our way home from Bali. Beautiful hotel with great service. Reserve the pool area, its very relaxing, especially after a 13 hour flight! Beautifully appointed rooms, good breakfast, excellent location on the Left Bank for walking around, people watching and having some drinks.

I would not hesitate staying here on our next trip and recommend this hotel for you too!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple