“Gare de Lyon right across the street”
Review of Hotel Palym

Hotel Palym
Ranked #536 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
london
“Gare de Lyon right across the street”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed here before and stayed again for our second night in Paris, on our way to Nice, and then again 3 weeks later en-route home to London..

Receptionist very friendly and recognised us on our final visit. Extremely helpful and able to answer any questions we posed. Not the smartest hotel in Paris, but the room was large and satisfactory.

Ideal not only for trains to the south but also for its proximity to some good, busy, bistro-type restaurants. A walk to Bastille, either by road or using the Viaduct walkway, takes about 20 mins.
Cannot check in until 1400 but bags can be left.

Having made the trip between Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon on many occasions using both RER and Metro systems - neither to be recommended at most times of the day - we took a taxi, organised by the receptionist. The cost was €22 and worth it for the luxury of not being jostled by thousands of people, The fare would have been cheaper had the taxi not arrived at the hotel following a pavement washing vehicle. The trip to the end of the street (150 yards) cost about €6. Hey ho!

Room Tip: Ask for one when booking and check upon arrival. We had room 38.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent hotel very close to the Gare de Lyon for the TGV. Good price, nice rooms. Just a few minutes' walk away from the station. Plenty of nice restaurants and bars nearby. Have stayed there twice now.

East Northport, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were dazzled by the Palym Hotel which was conveniently located by the Gare Lyon train station / metro. As it was very reasonably priced, we were a little worried coming in but that was silly as it was a great hotel. We had four guests and the room was modestly sized but comfortable. The front desk staff were both courteous and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel. After seeing what it is like to stay in the "heart" of Paris, we recommend you stay off the beaten track at a hotel like the Palym if you truly want to enjoy Paris.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Douglas W
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We needed a place to stay in Paris twice in June (we'd be travelling to London in between) and picked Hotel Palym for its price and location.

LOCATION It was much more convenient than we thought, especially since we used the Les Cars Air France bus shuttle to travel to and from Charles de Gaulle Roissy airport. The bus stop for the shuttle is two minutes away, on flat ground, so it's no problem to drag heavy luggage.

It's also convenient for taking Metro, since the hotel is only two to three minutes from Gare de Lyon by foot.

SURROUNDINGS Around the corner (away from Gare de Lyon) is a small provision store that opens til late. There are also popular restaurants like L'Europeen opposite Gare de Lyon. There are banks, a post office, a pharmacy, dry cleaning, laundromat and bakeries within a five-mile radius of the hotel.

CHECK-IN During check-in, we were given the TV remote control, which we had to return upon check-out.

ROOM ACCESS Our room was on the fourth floor, and there was a lift (not too small by European standards). Our window faced the inner courtyard.

ROOM Our twin bed room was not very large, but not tiny either. There was a writing desk, cupboard with hangers, TV and sufficient lighting. Floor was carpeted. The room was clean, and quiet.

BATHROOM The bathroom was very clean as well. It had a glass-door shower, WC, sink, tiled floor, built-in hairdryer (i.e. cannot unplug from socket). Towels and soap provided.

CLEANING Cleaning was done in late morning or afternoon I suspect -- all I know is that even if we left the room at 11am, we returned to a room that was cleaned.

WI-FI Wi-Fi logins were provided (one per device, all free on charge) but I struggled to get signal. In fact, I had to carry the chair from the desk to the front door of the room so that I could sit and work on my laptop to get a good signal. On my phone, I used my Orange SIM card data instead.

MEALS Breakfast is provided for a fee, but we didn't have breakfast in the hotel.

AMENITIES On the first floor was a small lobby with couches and tables. Copies of Le Figaro and other French newspapers were available for perusal. There was also a stand with lots of touristic brochures and maps, which were very useful.

There was a luggage room for us to store our stuff in between our stays. The hotel also collected mail for us (I was expecting an important business document).

I wanted to borrow an international travel adapter, but the receptionist said none were available. I was very disappointed by that.

Also, I don't think they have laundry service, but there is a dry cleaner three minutes walk from the hotel (7 bis Rue Michel Chasles) and a Laundromat a little further off at 8 ave Daumesnil.

SERVICE English-speaking hotel reception is 24/7 and of the four receptionists I interacted with, two of them were quite unfriendly -- courteous, as French typically are, but brisk, unsmiling and not very forthcoming with assistance.

CHECK-OUT Check-out was smooth. I was charged the price I had reserved the rooms online. We were able to store our luggages in the ground floor luggage room to retrieve later in the day.

FINAL RECOMMENDATION For the price I paid, I am glad to have stayed at Hotel Palym for it's super-convenient location and cleanliness. I would definitely consider Hotel Palym again -- although this time I'd bring my own travel adapter.

(Sidenote: I'm in the time-consuming process of reviewing all of the places I visited in my recent holiday. If you found this review useful, please pay it forward by sharing your own experiences on TripAdvisor)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MalaysianSingaporean
Paris
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Like most hotels in Paris it is overpriced for the standard small room however we have no complaints as used for a stopover to Italy. Ideal location for an early morning train from Gare de Lyon. The room and bathroom were small however it was clean unlike some other hotels we have stayed in Paris. It must be one of the dearest places in the world for an ordinary hotel were very few provide an inclusive breakfast in the price.

Room Tip: Do not use the lift as someone was locked in it for 15 minutes on the 5th floor and the next morning...
2 Thank mealypied69000
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Small tourist hotel very convenient for the railway station.
Basic room. No safe.
Ideal for a night stop or tourists on a budget - close to metro, RER, and bus routes.
Free Wi-Fi. Lift
Basic buffet breakfast @ €8 {2014}
Helpful staff
Will call for a taxi.

Room Tip: The hotel is situated in a back street far enough away from the main roads for noise not to be a pro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Grandville, MI
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel Palym twice when I was in Paris. The hotel is older but well cared for. Like most European hotels, the rooms are smaller but the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. When in Paris you should only be in your room to sleep and shower anyway, so large rooms are overrated. On our most recent trip we did not get the breakfast. We bought it on our first trip there about 5 years ago and then realized it was a better idea to stop a a local bakery for breakfast.
The best thing about this hotel, besides the wonder, friendly, English speaking staff, is the fact that is is literally located across the street from Gare de Lyon. This makes getting around Paris a snap, including going to and from the airport. The airport shuttle stops here.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor because the elevator is very small.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family