“Potentially great hotel but somewhat disappointing”

Hotel Concorde Montparnasse
Ranked #646 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Anaheim, California
“Potentially great hotel but somewhat disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The good - the hotel location is great and the rooms are clean and of decent size, not too small like in so many other hotels. The bathroom was well appointed and there was hot water to spare.
The bad - each time I reported a problem, the staff offered excuses rather than fix the problem. The elevator creaked and groaned and then got stuck in between floors - twice. The elevator requires you to insert the room key in the car reader within the elevator. To work properly, the room card must be inserted during the entire ride up the elevator. Remove it part way during the ride up and the elevator gets stuck. And I believe that the elevator's electrical field near the card reader may be responsible for corrupting the card's magnet strip if you remove the card during the ride up. The staff blamed it on the room card's proximity to my credit car. They blamed it on the sensitive room cards. So, they reprogrammed the cards - twice. Not once did they consider that the elevator badly needed maintenance or that the elevator card reader may be broken, or that the elevator card reader should be thrown away since it doesn't enhance security. In the room, the TV remote control barely worked. The staff said to keep pressing the buttons on the remote and it would eventually work. I told them that the buttons only worked if it was within 3 feet of the TV. Translation - the batteries were nearly dead. I asked for new batteries. They said that they would send someone up the next day. Two days later, the remote still had dead batteries. The mattress and pillows were perhaps the worst that I've seen in a hotel of this class. They reminded me of the lumpy mattresses and pillows that I had in my college dorm. I was able to fall asleep on them thanks only to the mercy of jet lag. The sad part is that this could be a great hotel if the staff changed focus from excuses to real service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
BRUN0_R0BERT, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Paul F

I am happy to know you spent a nice stay amongst us, apart from the secured access to the elevators. It is true that we control the access to the stairs through a room card reader, allowing our guests to access their rooms. However, as in many hotels, those devices might be sensitive to any magnetic contact with a mobile phone or keys. Please be assured that our elevators are regularly and totally checked by a specialized company, in accordance with the security laws for French hotels.

We took your comments into account and raised the awareness of the staff about the service attitude to be adopted.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. They have an excellent breakfast, great larger rooms that were very clean, and they got us our room early. The couple of problems I had was no a/c, the location (not my hotels fault - my travel agents fault), and the staff was inconvienced by my existance on the earth. Only 1 very nice bellman every else wasn't nice at all. I heard that the french wasn't nice but in 5 days the only people not nice was the staff at this hotel. If u want to be near the things u want to c dont stay here. Its worth the extra hotel price by the time u pay for a taxi 10 times.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Sad 12181,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse. I am sorry to read that our staff behavior didn’t met your expectations, be sure that our satisfaction guests is our top one priority. Regarding the location, please know that we are 300 meters from Montparnasse-Bienvenüe station, which is one of the major stations in Paris, counting 4 different metro lines (only 10 mn from the Invalides, the Eiffel Tower or St Germain des Prés). I am glad to know that you enjoyed an early Check-In as welle as the quality of our breakfast buffet.

Regards.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We loved this hotel for our stay in Paris. The cappuccino at the bar downstairs is fabulous... the staff was friendly.... rooms were clean. The hotel was in a great location.... walking distance to shops and creperies, you can see the Eiffel Tower when you walk out and around the corner, and there were plenty of great cafes in the area.

1 Thank jmayers22
BRUN0_R0BERT, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Jmayers 22,

Thank you very much for your positive review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the Hotel area, the friendliness of our staff and the comfort of our room.

Please make us the pleasure to come back again at the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

When I arrived after a 14-hour trip, I was informed my room was not ready and I had to return at 2 pm. "They were all sold out" is what they said despite the fact that the room was already booked by my company as of the previous night.

The room was adequate with a wonderful cookie that was gratis. I discovered that night, however, that the shower temperature fluctuated greatly and became either too hold or too cold very easily. The room was also a little noisy since I was next to a service room.

I ate breakfast here on three occasions and on one, we had to go to an overflow room with less food than the breakfast room because there were so many people in the hotel. They did not serve some of the selections from the main dining room there. The cold cuts were good but without an fish or lox. The mushrooms served on Sunday morning were terrible and tasteless. At the end of the conference, I tried to charge my dinner to my room but the dining room personnel said that it could not be done so I tried to put it on my card. I had to give them 2 different ones; they said one machine did not work and used another one in the same restaurant and finally one of the cards went through. On checkout the next day, they tried to charge me for the same meal again.

The location was excellent, next to Gare Montparnasse.

The dinner I had was actually very good, but there are many excellent restaurants blocks away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sheldon S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings at the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse. It is true that our hotel was fully booked when you visited us for your company meetings. However, our staff really strives to prepare the rooms as fast as possible to offer an early Check-In whenever it is possible. Regarding the Breakfast Buffet, be assured that we propose only fresh food to provide a high quality service for our guests. Also, for the comfort of our guests, we opened another Breakfast buffet during this high occupancy time.Please know that my team were in permanent contact with the person in charge during the event and we did offer a service to the different last minute requests of the attendants.

We hope to welcome you back again.
Mevo Hama, null, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel gave excellent service. The staff were very helpful, friendly and spoke excellent English. The room was just perfect for us young lovers (well - 60+) - very comfortable and immediate room service when requested. The buffet breakfast included more choices than you could possibly eat at any one time.
The hotel was not the cheapest - but then you get what you pay for.
The Metro was about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Those arriving by air to Paris can get the shuttle from the airport to Montparnasse train station - a 5 minute walk (Lescars Air France).
We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Michal D
Dear Michal D,

Thank you very much for your positive comment. Be sure that this type of review motivates us to provide a high quality of service to our guests. I am really glad that you enjoyed the breakfast Buffet and the Hotel Location as you mentioned, the shuttle bus for airport is at only 300 meters from the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse.

Please make us the honor to come back once again!
Warwick, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My friend and I spent 5 nights in total ( 2 on the front end and 3 on the back end) at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse during our trip to France. It is a wonderful hotel! The staff is friendly and were quite helpful with all our requests. Most of the staff speak English very well and the rooms are a nice size similar to what you would find in the States. It is conveniently located to The Metro and Gare Montparnasse. We truly enjoyed our stay and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the city and seem to be a little bigger.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
BRUN0_R0BERT, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Andrea V.

I thank you for your enjoying comments that encourage and motivate us to give the best of our selves and ensure a quality of service to all our guests. I am glad to read that you appreciated our stay with us, especially the Hotel location and the helpful and friendliness behavior of our Staff.

Make us the honor to welcome you again at the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse.
Vannes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Due to 2 precedents good sejours we choosed Concorde Montparnasse for a short stay in Paris.
Our reservation pre-paid have some precisions : superior room, bathrob and slippers, minibar...
To get some quietness in this popular neighborough we ask for a room on the garden.It has been the only satisfaction...
Small room on the 1st floor, no bathrobs-no slippers which arrived after 1/2 h of wait and then the mini-bar(in fact a coke, a parkling water and a normal water...no refregeraor) afet more than 1 h...
They try to explain that we had a renovated room but no correspondance with the description(normally in grey and red but ours in grey...alone).
Small bathrrom and broken furniture. No cotton , no amenities and we have to request to have them, incomplete.
My wife let me an enveloppe for the 2nd day and they loosed it for 3 hours-important paers for a medical reunion...
No excuse...
On the check out thet down the bill for 60 € on more than 440 €...
And on the 2nd night the mini bar has not been renewed...
So quiet if on the garden but service and respect of reservation and so respect of the cleintel is not their principal point...So Ibegan with a 3 points and finally at the end I down to a 2 points...

Room Tip: on the garden
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monpetit
BRUN0_R0BERT, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Monpetit,

We deeply apologize if your stay did not completely meet your expectations. After investigation, you actually occupied a renovated Superior room. However, it is one of the only three Superior rooms that match on your request with the Patio views. Concerning the difficulties you met with the mini bar, our Front Desk Team and our Hospitality Director has offered to relocate you to a Superior Room with an active minibar but you wished to keep the quietness of our room. Please know that we will remedy those troubles as soon as possible by the intervention of a dedicated exterior company. I also apologize for the waiting of the bathrobes and slippers, which we gave you 30 minutes after your call. About the mail left to your attention by your wife at the Front Desk, we are sincerely sorry. However, the paper has not been lost for three hours but just during a few minutes, unfortunately too late, you were gone.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you a better quality of our services.