“Worst hotel I ever stayed in”

Hotel Concorde Montparnasse
Ranked #646 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I ever stayed in”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a week in Paris at the end of July, and we had booked a room at Concorde Montparnasse. We chose the hotel for its location (close to major train station and buses to the airport, withing walking distance to most central attractions) and we cannot complain about that. The location was great. However, this was the only good thing about the hotel. We arrived fairly late in the evening, and all we wanted was to check in quickly, grab something to eat and go to sleep. The check in process was not exactly short and, when we got into our room we had the first surprise of the trip. We had booked a room with a double bed and were greeted by the sight of two single beds, which weren't even one next to the other. We asked at reception to have something done about it, and, after about an hour, someone came to put the two beds together. As I went to have a shower, I noticed mould in the bathroom and on the shower curtain, and soon realized we were given only one bath robe and a only one pair of slippers. We told reception, got another bath robe after about 4 days and an "ooops" response about the mould issue. We were starving, so we had a quick look at the menu to see what we could have for dinner and breakfast the next morning. Expensive doesn't even properly describe the food, with two eggs costing 8 euros and some toast 7 euros. We quickly decided not to have anything to eat there and went looking for a restaurant, around 11:30pm.
The next few days were spent with the housekeeper being extremely rude and swearing at us, because we happened to be in the room when she came in, and we "didn't know how to make the bed". Excuse me, I thought that was part of your job?
By far the worst experience we had was when I happened to find a mouldy cookie in the tray housekeeping was leaving in our room daily (don't imagine it was much, just two cookies, two pots of condensed milk, some cheap coffee and tea and some sugar/ sweetener). I went to complain to reception and I was treated like I was being a criminal. The receptionist actually asked me "what my problem is", like finding mouldy food in a four star hotel was something normal that I should've expected. I have never been treated worse in a hotel before.
If you plan a trip to Paris, my advice would be to avoid Concorde Montparnasse like the plague. You will be treated like the last thief, they will all be rude and make your stay there miserable.

4 Thank BiancaS1993
CHRISTIAN_HACQUIN, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear BiancaS1993,
I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding and confusion during your last stay. I want to inform you that I reviewed all your comments with the concerned managers and they set up corrective actions to prevent such situation to happen again. Please be assured that the satisfaction of our guests is the priority to all people working at the hotel Concorde Montparnasse. I strongly invite you to contact the Front Desk Manager (mbodin@concorde-hotels.com or lghighi@concorde-hotels.com) so we can offer you a quality service and give you a better image of our property.
Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

A functional, modern, "lower-4-star" hotel. A little tired but clean; friendly and effective staff, many American and Asian tourists. Bar closes before midnight. WiFi is free. Overall good value for money but not a place you fall in love with.

The Concorde Montparnasse is in the neighbourhood of the railway station and it is not the most charming corner of this lovely city. Also it is a quite a walk to the station and also to the next Metro stop and the bars, shops, restaurants on Blvd. Montparnasse and its surroundings. However, there is a taxi rank right in front of the hotel (in fact between the Concorde and the Pullmann hotel).

1 Thank virchow
Dear Virchow,
Thank you for your comments. Our property is located on the famous Place de Catalogne in the Montparnasse area where you can find a department store (Galeries Lafayette), lots of shops in the rue de Rennes and bars, restaurants and theatres in the neighbourhood. The hotel is only 300 meters from the Montparnasse station but our front Desk staff will be pleased to show you the shortest way to any places you would like to visit on your next stay. Please be sure I will communicate your positive comments about the professionalism of our teams to them.
Kind regards,
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have been in this hotel for at least 6 different visits for at least 5 day in each visit, always on business.
My main problem, and this is way I say the rooms are average, is that I always have to fight to get a good room. During my first visit that costed an average of 210 per day the room they suggested I should stay was on the second floor overlooking the garage and garbage cans, and imagine this was categorized as superior.

When I requested a different room and they provided immediately a one with better view, (overlooking the square) When I asked why, at such a high price, they provided room with no view, they started saying something about me being a business traveler.

From there on, every time I come to the hotel I have to request a better room because they always provide the worse possible. Many times I don't win, and it is not because they don't have any.

Currently I am staying in such an awful room, and the hotel is almost empty, I just don't get it.
I only return to this hotel because of the proximity to the train station I use to get to work, other than that I am disappointed.
Instead of treating regular client's more carefully they do the opposite, it's like they take for granted that you will return so they don't care.

Room Tip: Anything with number *44 to *22 overlooks the garage and garbage cans. Ask, with a vengeance for a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ctsitou
Dear Ctsitou,
First of all, I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Please know that your comments have been discussed with the managers to avoid such situation in the future. We do care about the well-being of our guests and especially our regular guests. I invite you to contact the Front Desk Manager prior to your visit so we welcome you as you deservedly expect.
Clifton Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Concorde mostly because we were making last-minute reservations and paying with frequent flyer miles. It was July in Paris and our choices were limited. We choose the Concorde over some boutique options on the belief that a big, modern hotel would have reliable services. We didn't really find that to be true.

The hotel is located a block or so (~.3 mile) from the Montparnasse Tower, an office building in a business district of Paris. It is near Gare Montparnasse (Montparnasse-Bienvenue on the Metro) and Gaite Metro station. We made the mistake of trying to take the Metro from the airport. We got there but it was harder than we hoped (especially when pulling 50 pound suitcases). We found out once there that Air France runs a nice shuttle bus from the Paris airports to Gare Montparnasse. On our return, we had a 1/2 block walk to the shuttle stop and a quick comfortable ride to the airport.

While many Metro lines turn through (or below) Gare Montparnasse, it is a HUGE station. Getting to the 4 line from the entrance to the station involves a 1/4 mile walk and not a few changes in elevation (fortunately most have escalators). If you stay here, favor the Gaite Metro stop and the couple of lines that service it.

Near Gaite there is mall and a cluster of stores and restaurants. Check out Le Plan B for dinner if you go up there.

There is no convenience store or vending machines in the hotel but ice machines one each floor work well and the G20 market across the street was convenient and well stocked.

If you stay here, have dinner at Millesimes 62, a very short walk around the circle from the hotel.

We were told that dinner in Paris can begin at 10 or 11 pm. While that's true, that doesn't reflect the day being shifted back but rather elongated. After being out until 10 or 11 at night, we were disappointed that the breakfast included with our room was only served until 10am. We ended up setting an alarm most mornings of our vacation (something we never do at home) so we wouldn't miss breakfast.

Not that the breakfast was wonderful. There was the usual European buffet (cheeses and cold cuts and pastries), some crepes, and some American offerings (scrambled eggs (often runny or cold), bacon (far, far from crisp), some cereal, some fruit, and a few other things. We didn't go hungry but it wasn't as satisfying or sumptuous as we hoped.

The hotel web site notes three classes of rooms: classic (views of the garden), superior (views of the city), and deluxe (some with a view of the Eiffel Tower). We got a fourth class: view of the parking garage next door.

The room was compact but reasonably well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the pillows fluffy. There was only one outlet reasonably convenient to the bed so charging phones and such was a bit of a challenge.

Hot water in the shower was plentiful and forceful. The shower head was high enough I didn't have to stoop. The shower curtain fluttered in the draft created by the rising steam and clung to us rather uncomfortably.

The air conditioning never really worked. While Europeans seem to favor cool environments much less than Americans, the thermostat was set for 20C (68F, 2-4 degrees cooler than we set our home thermostat) but we always felt warm in our room.

There are Wi-Fi routers visible at several locations around each floor but the free Wi-Fi was *terrible*! Signal strength was low, performance when you were connected was poor, and if you didn't use it for a few minutes or let your device sleep/lock you were logged off and had to try again. We complained, it didn't get any better.

All rooms seem to have a trouser press. We were able to get a iron and board from housekeeping. No steam and an odd-shaped board made for difficult ironing.

All rooms have an in-room safe that you can set the code to. It is big enough to hold a 15" laptop. The safe is in a closet with the door facing to the left or right and in odd-numbered rooms, the hinge is in front so you have to reach around the door -- which doesn't quite open all the way -- to feel inside the safe for your belongings. I assume even rooms are mirror imaged and the safe is more accessible.

There is no business center but you can e-mail documents (e.g., boarding passes) to the hotel and they will print them for you.

Enough of the staff spoke enough English that we didn't have any trouble being served with our weak French but some of the directions we got were odd. We were in town for Bastile Day (Fete Nationale) and wanted to see the fireworks. The desk told us to go to Trocadero(sp?) Square, near the Eiffel Tower but we wanted to avoid the crowd. We asked several times, trying to make our intent clear but got no better advice. Then -- remembering that some rooms had a view of the Tower -- we walked around the side of the building and saw it in the distance. The night of the fireworks, we went out the lobby, turned right, and encountered thousands of people standing in the street to watch the fireworks (they were amazing!).

While generally upscale, the hotel is ready for a makeover. The upholstery in O'40 was ripped in places, most of the hand rails in the elevators seemed to be missing their end caps, and the tiles in our bathroom were cracked in places and missing grout in others. Nothing major but certainly noticeable.

In summary: not a bad location depending on your goals and your choice of Metro stop, aging physical facility with helpful staff. Not a bad value but a little disappointing.

Room Tip: Room Tip: The x2x (we stayed in 327) seem to be the ones with a few of the building next door. Odd r...
2 Thank ChrisN438
Dear ChrisN438,
I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback after your stay at the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse. I am surprised by your comment about the distance with the Montparnasse Tower : you can see on Google Maps that our property is only 0,373 mile from the Montparnasse Tower and 0,180 mile from the Montparnasse station. I invite you to ask our Front Desk staff the shortest ways to your different routes on your next stay. As you said, it is true that the Air France shuttle is the easiest way to go to or come from the airport. It is also only 0,200 mile from the hotel. Your room was above the entrance to our parking but you could also see a Paris city view. For your next stay, you may request a room with a view in line with your expectations : interior garden (Classic rooms), views of the city (Superior rooms) or views of the city and some rooms with an Eiffel Tower view (Deluxe rooms). We had a deep maintenance on our Wifi during your stay in order to upgrade our system and the bandwidth and we decided to proceed to the upgrade in one time. We suffered some bugs after the operation that were fixed by adjusting the upgrade to our system. We do have a business corner with 2 computers (one sent to the provider to be repaired) and one printer but I am happy that the staff helped you with your boarding passes. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the quality and variety of the breakfast buffet and the magic of the fireworks for our National Day!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Warning!!! The hotel’s security is the worst I have ever experienced though I am a very experienced traveler. A very serious crime happened when we got there. Our money had been stolen from the SAFE in our room!!! We believe there is a thief organization in the hotel with ve at least one hotel staff (their level should be way more higher than the cleaning staff). Consider carefully when you intent to book this hotel!!!
My wife and I booked this hotel for eight nights from June 14 to June 22, 2014. When we got the hotel at around 9:00 PM we put our money in the safe of our room. The room has an extra door between our room and a neighbor room. Then we went out of the hotel for a supper directly after asking the front desk a small question. When we got back to hotel after the supper my wife found the safe was open. It turned out our money had been stolen partially. The manager in the hotel showed us the entry record of our room during that time later after we reported. There is no evidence of other entering except us. But someone could definitely sneak into our room by entering our neighbor room went through the extra door between our room and our neighbor room. We have several deductions for this theft case:

1. It could not be committed by one person. The thieves should be very familiar the hotel processes and SAFE systems. The most important point is that they have the key for the SAFE(which usually manager has) and they also have the key for the doors between two rooms.
2. They know exactly when we went out and could monitor our activities. They also know our neighbor room was vacant at that moment or we were assigned the room intentionally. The room is the farthest room from the elevator.
3. It is a sophisticated plotted crime. They did not take all the money so that it is not so obvious and we could be confused to doubt ourselves. It is also can pretend that our money was stolen on the way to the hotel, such as airport etc. But we had several big amount bills and the loss of one of it made the crime exposed.
4. Don’t believe the manager would help you. Who knows the actual situation? After this event we retrieved the bad comments of this hotel. There have been a few theft cases happened. Very few of them were resolved. A lady tour guide had been stolen expensive cosmetics and tracked back but was wondering why the cleaning staff who stole was not disciplined. Now we think we know the reason: They are all the same. They know each other’s crime.

This almost ruined our vacation in France. We feel that we were fooled and humiliated. We are so frustrated and won't book any hotel with Concorde in the name. Don’t book this hotel if you don’t want to experience what we had,

Room Tip: If X represents floor number. Any number around X26 is not good. They are very farest from the elev...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jane W
CHRISTIAN_HACQUIN, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Jane W,
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the incident occurred during your stay. Once you reported it to us, our Front Desk Manager, Lydie Ghighi, reviewed immediately with you the timeline of the event. She also checked your room lock and edited the lock audit report of your room (626) in order to check any abnormality. It appeared that there was no unusual entry. Our managers informed you about the process by first filling a claim at the police station. As they explained you, since the disappearance occurred in the safe-deposit box in your room, we only were able to check the lock-audit report which did not allow us to collect relevant information. The safe-deposit box being managed by one of our provider, we sent them all the information to investigate, but they still could not answer us despite our several reminders, as Lydie Ghighi explained you in her last e-mail at the end of July. We decided to send back the safe-deposit box to the manufacture company to proceed to a deep report and come back to you with the results of this investigation.
I would like to clarify some information :
- Only the managers have the key to open the safe for security reason and in case our guests forget the personal code they entered
- The doors between two rooms are always locked, unless a guest request two connecting rooms and only one door from the two doors composing the separation is open
- As explained earlier, the managers and our whole staff pay close attention to the well-being of our guests and follow any request, especially for that kind of incident or dissatisfaction. I would also like to add, that we answered your e-mails to us and our headquarters. However, I am sorry that our provider did not finish his investigation and I guarantee you that this case is our priority, and we will inform you as soon as we receive any information.
telford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend in July. It is a large modern hotel located a few hundred yards from Gare Montparnasse. It is a bit of a walk to major sites, or few stops on the Metro. There is a nice view of the E tower from parts of the hotel. The staff are efficient and friendly and most speak good English ( a bit disappointing as I like to try out my stumbling French)
The bedroom was very clean but a little on the small size, nice bathroom, air con, good sized bed.
Breakfast was included in the deal (If you book room only the buffet breakfast is 19 euros, a bit steep) it is a mix of hot and cold buffet, the hot food is not so hot (little spicy sausages, bacon and dried up scrambled eggs) the cold buffet is excellent and extensive, cold meats and cheeses, fruit, rolls ,eggs, crepes, cereal etc etc.
There are plenty of decent restaurants within a few minutes walk, we did not try the hotel restaurant.
Montparnasse Tower is less than five minutes walk.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, it is good value. Ice making machine in the corridor is a nice touch.

Dear Jim2010telford,
Reading your comments motivates us to continue providing high level of services, thank you! I am happy that you enjoyed the professionalism of our staff, the room, the Eiffel Tower view and most of all our breakfast buffet!
Come visit us soon.
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse in early July 2014. The staff is very courteous and helpful with excellent command of the English language. As others have mentioned the location of the hotel is close to the metro station and there are ample restaurants, shops, etc within a few blocks. I had a courtyard room that was very quiet, clean, and comfortable by most standards. Breakfast buffet is very good. Arrived after an all night flight from the US and the hotel allowed early check-in which was appreciated. My only complaint is I asked for a fork to eat some pastries that I had purchased at a nearby bakery and was told I could not eat food not purchased at the hotel on hotel property.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room. The hotel curves around the street so there are multiple courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Will S,
I would like to thank you for your comments after your stay at the Hotel Concorde Montparnasse. It is very encouraging to read that the early check-in, the location of our property, the comfort of the room and the breakfast buffet were up to your expectations, the satisfaction of our guests being our top priority. However, I am truly sorry about the misunderstanding when you asked for a fork. Be assured that this situation was exceptional and won’t repeat in the future.