“Finally I got there!”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$351.43*
and up
Private Paris Photoshoot with a Professional...
Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

Nice place to visit. There were few people and I could enjoy walking around the square and the garden.

1  Thank Maria_Bandarchyk
in 4 reviews
"controversial"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 13 July 2016

The Colonnes de Buren is located at the Palais Royal in Paris so you can see two sites at the same time. Actually, the gardens are also located there also so BONUS! The area around this are also very interesting. From this location you can also head north out of the gardens and visit a couple of the Passages which are really very fascinating.

1  Thank Larry C
Reviewed 6 April 2016

Les Deux Plateaux, also known as Colonnes de Buren, is a contemporary art installation by Daniel Buren that was finished in 1986. It covers 3,000 square meters (32,292 square feet), filling an inner courtyard of the 17th-century Palais Royal, near the palace gardens and Ministry of Culture.The creation consists of 260 black-and-white vertically striped low columns of different heights that emerge from the courtyard's floor.

I still remember the poor reception from many Paris residents and visitors when this artwork was unveiled. Intense debates ensued about the integration of contemporary with historic, similar to what I heard when the Louvre's pyramid and the Centre Pompidou went up in the city.

But today, the visitors I see, stopping at the installation to take photos, stand on columns or to sit on one, eating lunch, seem to be enjoying their interactions with the art. When I stayed briefly in an apartment by the Palais Royal gardens, I passed by here daily and always saw at least 15 people in the area.

This installation makes a convenient stop when visiting the nearby Louvre or the Palais Royal gardens and when exploring the Rue Saint Honore.

1  Thank Rumples
Reviewed 16 March 2016

What an amazing place for photo-shooting. Just before entering the gardens of Palais Royal, you should definitely spend some time to take some funny photos and observe other people with a really good mood doing the same thing.

2  Thank ilGrec0
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 January 2016

I've passed by the Palais Royale so many times and really not given it too much thought. This time I approached it from the Paris Bourse, along rue Colonel Driant. It was an absolute surprise as I entered through a small archway and into an amazing courtyard of some size. To my right, rows of immaculately trimmed trees and to my left, what I couldn't first determine, an arrangement of vertical black and white striped columns of varying sizes.

This, I later determined was the Colonnes de Buren, a controversial artwork by Daniel Buren constructed in the 1980s. Well, controversial or not, it is spectacular and the whole area is a stunning arrangement that really pleased my eyes. I plan to see it in spring or summer this year. It is such a beautiful French Government 'workplace.'

Just outside the courtyard and you are a few paces from rue St. Honore and the Louvre.

1  Thank Tom D