“Simple”

Ranked #1,572 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Lisbon
“Simple”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Hotel de France for 2 nights, from the 30th of June to the 2nd of July, room 30.
The hotel has a bit of a dodgy look, but I learned not to make judgments based on appearances. Also, the area may look a bit like Algiers or Senegal, but I always felt safe even at night.
Things I disliked:
- The room: quite small, with micro private facilities. The bed had a weird slope, big enough to make it a bit uncomfortable. Very limited room (if any) to keep large luggage;
- Soundproofing: this was definitely not very good. I could hear people walking in the corridor as if they were next to me, even if they were quite careful walking or talking (which, they were, in general). Nevertheless, it was impossible to hear what was going on in other rooms;
Things I liked:
- Reception: the guy at check in and check out was extremely nice, friendly, helpful, with a sense of humour and very efficient in explaining the hotel rules. I forgot to ask his name so that I could mention him in this review; nevertheless, kudos to him. I had very little contact with the other staff, but they seemed quite nice too;
- Cleanliness: judging by the look of the hotel, this was a concern to me when I entered the room. Still, everything was spotlessly clean, from private facilities to bed linen and towels; absolutely impeccable and the standard was kept during all my stay;
- WiFi: free Wifi is provided throughout the hotel and works quite well. I only had problems with it on the last night, but that did cause any harm. Since this is a hotel of unknown rating (at least to me), free Wifi is definitely something to praise, as some 5-star hotels have the nerve to charge for this;
- Breakfast: this costs € 5 and is fairly basic, but quite good and, considering the prices in Paris, good value for money. Fresh croissants, cheese, yogurt, cereals, juice, a machine that makes very good coffee, cappuccino, chocolate, a good start to the day.
I paid € 142 for the whole stay, B&B, with taxes. This was a cheap option for Paris and for the area of the venue I was attending and, in my opinion, good value for money. I would consider staying here again if I have to attend venues in the Barbés area and if price is a strong concern. However, I will have to consider carefully soundproofing and the fairly uncomfortable bed and that may actually put me off.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank paulolisb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel location is quite good and specially staff but neighborhood is bad. Also a bit dirty. Good pakistani food which make me happy. No elevator at hotel and breakfast is quite v simple. Good for the price....

1 Thank ShahSaud