“Clean and basic”
Review of Hotel Le Malown

Hotel Le Malown
Ranked #1,347 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 18 March 2012

No thrills, value hotel in the centre of Paris. Best prices are found through booking websites. Good for short business trips although lack of free wifi is expensive.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed 27 October 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Hotel Madeleine Opera. It's in a wonderful location - within walking distance to most attractions and the underground. We would take the train to the area we wanted to see that day and then walk back to the Hotel Madeleine Opera seeing all the sights along the way. One day it was the train to Trocadero then walking back via Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides and across one of the many bridges. Another day, it was the train to the north side of the river near the Notre Dame Cathedral walking back to the Hotel Madeleine Opera through parks, Latin Quarter, Sorbonne and Musee d'Orsay. One day it was walking to the Louvre, catching the train up to Notre Dame Cathedral walking down the hill past the the Moulin Rouge. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. I was intrigued by the tiny elevator but my husband and two suitcases fit in it. Usually, we took the stairs - we certainly got our exercise in Paris but had a wonderful time! Would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again. Great location!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed here for two nights on vacation and although I wasn't paying for the room myself I was not impressed with the quality given the high price.

The room was small and nothing fancy, and the shower was tiny, even by European standards. WiFi is available but not free for guests, breakfast is optional at 9 euro, and the whole place feels a bit old fashioned. Front desk staff were helpful. ]

The biggest plus about this hotel is that the bed was very comfortable and there was a fan in our room which was a very nice touch in my opinion.

The location is good, but there are tons of hotels in this area and some are similarly priced with more/better amenities. Overall its an ok place, but I would look for a better value - something more modern, with free WiFi, bigger rooms, etc. at this price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I have been going to this hotel annualy for the last 6 years, as it is very well situated. Close to all the big shops and close walking distance to all the main Paris attractions. The hotel has changed owners, so they plan to close at the end of October and upgrade to a 3 star, so the prices will be upgraded as well. It is well overdue for an overhaul. The one day we returned to our room to find that the room had not been cleaned. When you pay those prices you expect a min: of service.Lets see what the renovations will be like?

Room Tip: take a street facing room as the rooms facing the courtyard can be a bit noisy with the local reside...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank phigi
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Chose this hotel because of its closeness to St.Lazare train station from which we had to depart the following day (a 5 min. walk). The location is also good in terms of sightseeing: you can easily and pleasantly walk to lots of places of interest and the big shops (Le Printemps and Galerie Lafayette) are just around the corner. However, it is perhaps good to keep in mind that the area around Madeleine is not very cheap. If you want to have an inexpensive lunch in a typical Parisian cafe, it is better to go somewhere else.
Our general impression of the hotel was positive, but I do not think I would like to spend more than a couple of nights there. The staff was quite polite. The room (the bed linen, the sink, etc.) was the usual size for Parisian hotels of this category and clean enough, but, if you looked a bit more closely, you could see that some less obvious areas were forgotten and dusty. The carpet is worn and needs to be replaced. The was a (rather noisy) fan in the room. Half of the TV channels that they claim to have (a list of them is provided in the room) is unavailable. On the whole, I would say: good enough for a night or two if you do not intent to spend a lot of time inside. If you want a more enjoyable place, look elswhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed here for a week while on a business trip. The room was very small - I was on the 4th floor. The bathroom was TINY. I could barely shower...water got everywhere by the time I was done trying to maneuver a hair wash. My room had a funky smell to it but considering I was never in it I didn't really care - left the window open and fan going all the time. Internet is NOT free but rather expensive, as it is everywhere in Paris. Breakfast was fine. Location was SUPERB. The restaurant/bar next door was always bustling, great shopping, and next to several subway stops which made it easy to get around. Overall a great value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2010

The Hotel Madeleine Opera has a perfect location with a few Metro and one RER station nearby. It is within walking distance to the Opera, Lafayette and Place de la Madeleine.

The front desk staff were all very helpful and polite and there was someone there 24/7 in case you need something. You leave the key as you exit the hotel which for me was very convenient as you don’t have to worry about it.

The elevator is extremely small (2 people+1 suitcase maximum) but that was not an issue for us. The building is old and the common hallways could use a renovation (especially the carpets) but the room looked beautiful!

We stayed at a double room for €84 per night without breakfast. The room was spacious for Paris standards with a comfy bed, pillows, blanket, clean, crispy sheets and a flat screen tv. I’ve never been to a Paris hotel so clean and taken care of. There was a closet and the window had a lovely view of the Parisian street. Ask for room 45 on the fourth floor.

The bathroom was fully renovated with new tiles etc and was spotless. Only minor issue was the shower curtain which was too big for the shower and although it kept water from coming out, it was limiting the already limited space in the shower.

Room and bathroom were cleaned to perfection daily.

We didn’t try the breakfast as there are lots of options around (Paul’s by the corner etc).
Overall we will definitely prefer this hotel from now on for our Paris trips as it combines excellent location, very clean rooms, nice street view and friendly staff. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple