“Too hot in summer, great for other seasons”

Hotel des Arts - Montmartre
Ranked #124 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Spent 3 nights in a small twin room. Loved the location and found the staff very friendly (though I wish they'd told us of the coffee and tea mentioned in another review below). They also gave a wonderful packet of information at check-in. However, temperatures are in the mid 80s and climbing in Paris, and while I knew this hotel was not air-conditioned, I was expecting they would at least have fans as did every other hotel across Europe this summer. When I asked at the desk if there were any fans available, the clerk said "we don't have air conditioning". Windows open to a central courtyard which means it is noisy from guests in other rooms with their windows open as well and HOT due to no circulation, making it difficult to sleep. This hotel would be delightful in spring or fall but is not a good location for summer.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
desarts, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel des Arts - Montmartre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thanks for your review.
I do hope you had a safe journey back home.
We do not have air conditioning but very hot days are not very common in Paris.
This is also why our rates are cheaper over this period...
I feel sorry the temperature has tarnished your stay with us.

Best regards from Montmartre.

A.M

Write a ReviewReviews (2,868)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just stayed at the Hotel Des Arts with my daughter as I had arranged a surprise 21st birthday trip to Paris for her (and me). I wanted somewhere nice for us to stay to make this a memorable visit and I could not have picked a better hotel. What a beautiful place it is. I had emailed the hotel in advance to let them know we would be arriving late and I got a response immediately telling me not to worry as the reception was staffed 24 hours. I had also emailed them to say it was my daughters 21st birthday and when we arrived in our room there was a little bottle of champagne and two glasses waiting for us in an ice bucket - what a lovely touch. The hotel itself is so beautiful and charming. We where on the first floor (Room 12) twin bedded room overlooking the street (directly above the hotel door). The decor throughout the entire hotel was fantastic with the lovely touches on the doors of the elevators and certain rooms (luggage room etc). The room was very very clean and excellent decor with the bathroom being the same, with some lovely complimentary toiletries. The breakfast room was in the basement with toast, jams, marmelades, chocolate spread, croissants, pain au chocolat, cereals, fruit, bread and cheese, yoghurts and boiled eggs. we got our breakfasts free with our booking and we had plenty to eat in the mornings with tea/coffee/hot chocolate and pastries available from 1.00pm to midnight. There was free wifi in the hotel and a beautiful lounge area with a jukebox and a wonderful spiral staircase. We did try to sleep with the windows open as it was a warm night but the street can be noisy at times so we had to close them. If you are thinking of booking this hotel then please do it - you will not be disappointed believe me. The location of the hotel is superb - literally just over 5 minutes walk from the Blanche Metro station and halfway up the hill - we found it absolutely no problem at all with the directions I had printed off from Google maps. The staff in the hotel were lovely - nothing was too much trouble for them and so polite - not even laughing at my attempts at french!!!!! The beds were exceptionally comfortable and the pillows were soft - i always struggle when on holiday as i can only sleep with soft pillows so this was superb for m. I was a little apprehensive about staying in Montmartre as I thought it may be a little too far out for Paris city centre - but both me and my daughter fell in love with the area and the view from the Sacre Coeur literally took our breath away - again this was about 15 minute walk from the hotel (though there are a lot of stairs but soooo worth it). I could go on and on about how much we loved this hotel, its charm and quirkiness but needless to say I will most definately be coming back to this hotel in the future - I cannot believe we found such a beautiful hidden gem in such a lovely area. Thank you for making my daughters 21st visit to Paris such an absolute pleasure. Oh how I wish I was back there now!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michele A

Dear Guests,

"Merci beaucoup" for your fantastic review!
The entire staff of Hôtel des Arts*** wish all the best.
Do not hesitate to come back!
We are looking forward to welcome you back here in Montmartre.
Kind regards

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here 4 nights, and we chose it with the intention of explore this neighborhood on foot. This hotel is near cafes, boulangeries, charcouteries, etc. The metro we used the most was Blanche. We got a good size room, with a nice bathroom, the only thing I didn't liked was the hair dryer, I think it needed more power, but even so, it got the job done. We got a safe in our room, which was a plus. The TV has channels in different languages, but we weren't watching TV too much during those days. The breakfast was good, I remember they had coffee, tea, OJ, cheese, pastries. I would stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darkashbrown
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Second time we have stayed at des Arts. Find it an excellent hotel just what we look for in a hotel. Clean, comfortable, friendly and welcoming. All the staff we have met have all been very professional, helpful and friendly. Can't recommend it more, will be staying there again next time we visit Paris.

Room Tip: Sorry no restaurant.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel is very comfortable and welcoming. We cannot fault the staff, and the rooms were spotless. The bathroom goodies were of high quality too. Super location - in the middle of Montmatre but very quiet. Air conditioning would be good in mid summer. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A comfortable stay with a very friendly and welcoming staff. It was easily accessible to many places of interest. Room was kept clean always, however do note that there is no air conditioning though it can be solved by opening the window. There was also no kettle in the room for you to boil water.

Location was also close to many cafes, restaurants, mini-supermarts.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

You cannot beat the location of this hotel. It is situated walking distance from Montmartre so you can explore the area on foot. The rooms are small but that's usual for Paris. Unfortunately, the service is lukewarm. They are are not rude, but not friendly or helpful either. Use it for location only.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1phototaker

Dear Guests,

Thanks for your comments.
I feel very sorry our service did not match totally your expectations.
Many reviews on TripAdvisor emphasized the opposite...
Kind regards from Paris.