“clean small hotel very close to Montparnasse Train Station”
Review of Hotel du Maine

Hotel du Maine
Ranked #1,329 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Toronto, Ontario
“clean small hotel very close to Montparnasse Train Station”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This is a small, clean and friendly hotel located less than a 10 minute walk from the Montparnasse Train Station. Tucked in on a side street, it has little street noise. The only noise I heard was from a school that must have been close by when the children came out for lunch or break. The rooms and bathroom are small but clean. Suitable for a single or couple looking for a few days away. I did take the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. I stayed here in September and October 2009 and would definitely return, especially if I wanted to be close to the Montparnasse Train Station (which has bus connections to CDG airport).

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank BillYTO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Millersville, Maryland
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Triple room booked in April for 2 adults & a teen for 4 nights. Put in a ground room with double bed and a "camp" cot. Next to breakfast & reception areas, no ventilation as the cot blocked opening the window. Cot collapsed at 2:30 AM. A segment of the metal frame bent in the middle. Scared my granddaughter so bad she screamed, blood curdling screams for minutes until we calmed her down. Despite much noise in lobby front desk area durring the night no one responded to screams. Not sure anything could be done at that hour anyway. Put mattress on floor and addressed problem in the morning with "manager" Were offered a new bed - not a cot - or a second room at no additional charge. Ended up with a second room. All was ok until Monday, as we were leaving out for the day - we had pre-booked tickets for the Eiffel Tower. We were told we had to get everything packed in the rooms because we had to change rooms. I asked for the manager, and was told he'd be there in the morning. It was the morning!! Told the gfirl behind the desk "No", she neeed to get this straight with the manager. This was not what we were told about the rooms. We left. When we got back the night clerk told us we would be charged for the rooms for 2 nights. We said no, asked for the manager, and were told he would be there in the morning. The next morning we were presented with a bill for the originally agreed upon amount for 4 nights in a triple and paid it in cash. The second room was their offer, replacing the bed would have been agreeable as well.
YESTERDAY THEY CHARGED OUR CREDIT CARD 150 Euros!!!!!!!
We will, of course, fight this through the credit card company.
In general the hotel was what was to be expected for under 100 Euro a night, old, showing wear, no frills but in an area that was quite nice and between 2 metro lines. If not for the BS we've have used them on future trips.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank CherylInMainz

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2010

It was very unfortunate that there appears to be a problem with thefts and the hotel does not seem to be interested in assisting, even though there appeared to be surveillance video. My mother told me that she heard someone trying our doorknob two nights in a row! We were located just down the hall from the front desk, so I didn't think it to be possible. The theft occurred when our luggage was left in the lobby area, (beneath the counter where breakfast was served). An unlocked carry-on was entered and my mother's scarf and some food items were stolen. I sent 2 emails to the hotel, however NO RESPONSE FROM THEM!! I loved the location of the hotel, however I can't say I'd stay there again as the cleanliness was also in question. They sprayed way too much Febreeze (or similar), to the point that we had to ask them to not do that anymore. Most of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful, some not so much. They need to deal with their theft issue, it's either staff or????

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank tereea59
japan
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I reserved this hotel through internet. Though it was with breakfast and we had printed confirmation, the front man insisted that we need to pay for breakfast!
We chose not to have any though there were no refrigiator in the room.
After returning I checked with the booking site with their mistake, they again insisted that there was no one who had said we need to pay! Liar.

If you really want to stay in this hotel, you should reserve it in french. They make use of discommunication.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank ekaterina14106
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I was also stolen, while we were out, and it had to be only with access, i dont want to make false accusations, but i was missing some bills...

Though, it was very cheap...

I do recommend this hotel if you have all your things well secured and you are looking for a cheap option.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank claudiost
Coastal Maine
Reviewed 28 May 2009

While my bag was in my room, someone went in my bag then into a velcro pouch and stole money. Based on the security at the front desk, the criminal had to have inside access to my room (a key.)

Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank roadman1122
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 February 2009

After dealing with London hotels the previous weekend, this was like being in a palace! It was a proper double bed, private bath, quiet and clean. After reading Trip Advisor reviews of cheap hotels, I have a habit of checking the mattress for bedbugs before I even unzip my bag, and this one was clean. the room seemed very fresh and clean. The only problems were it was too cold for my California blood, but I'd rather save money than be warm outside the bed. Also, the shower was broken and they didn't get around to fixing it while I was there, but let me use an empty room's shower, especially after I made a deal with the chambermaid that she didn't need to clean my room that day. I wish I could find a hotel like this in London. I only paid 40 euros/night!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo