“Hidden gem”

Hotel Gabriel Paris
Ranked #309 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Hotel is just three stops from Gare du Nord railway station (Eurostar) using Metro Line 5 to the Republique stop. It is a short walk from Place de la Republique. Located in a quiet side street but within walking distance of the wonderful Marais and Bastille districts. The Metro easily facilitates ease of travel to the main tourist attractions.

Hotel rooms, although some are on the bijou size, are beautifully designed to be a haven of calm while appearing light and airy. Rooms are soundproofed, have discreet subdued lighting and calming art work. Clever use of space means wardrobe and storage space is unobtrusive. Bed linen, towels and slippers are of good quality as are complimentary bathroom products. En suites are well lit with plenty of mirror space, hooks, and integral shelving with hidden lighting.

The staff could not have been more helpful especially the reception staff both day and evening. The breakfast was an extensive continental spread served either in the charming dining area or delivered to your room.

Reception can if requested, store your luggage after room check out, thus enabling you to continue with visits to the attractions without taking bags with you.

We loved this hotel and can't wait for an ideal opportunity to arise so we can revisit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MTownsend
Hôtel G, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Our team would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Hotel Gabriel Paris.

We were very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in a near future, please receive our kindest regards.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I spent 4 nights at Hotel Gabriel while on holidays in Paris... I have stayed in many other hotels in different price ranges (Hotel Le Six, Hotel Observatoire Luxembourg, etc.) and decided on this one because of the location, since we wanted to stay close to Republique and Marais... I got a good rate by paying in advance through their website and got a Deluxe Room (slightly bigger)...

Overall we were VERY satisfied with our experience... the location is absolutely great! true urban Paris, not too touristy yet walking distance to cool areas such as Republique, Les Quais, Marais, etc... If you like running, you can go for nice jogs all along the Quais, which is quite cool... you can even walk to Centre Pompidou or other touristy attractions... arriving from the airport was super easy and from Republique station is only a 5 minute easy walk... plenty of cool restaurants, bars, shops, supermarkets, etc in the vicinity...

Service was truly outstanding and this really improved our stay... check-in staff were really helpful, in particular since Air France lost my luggage and they were really helping me with all the logistics...

Breakfast was great and loved the tiny lobby were breakfast is served...

Room was ok, it is definitely showing some wear and tear here and there and the design of the bathroom is not too convenient because there is no door in the shower hence water overflows to the floor if you are not careful... but size was adequate for 2 adults for 4 nights... limited closet space though... internet was strong and bed was comfortable if on the softer side... we had an exterior room and it was not too noisy, but walls to the interior are really thin... we could hear a couple on a different floor having a sex fest (honeymoon anyone?) several days in a row...

Overall a really pleasant stay, mostly made by the staff and the location... I would certainly consider it for future stays if rates are attractive...

Room Tip: I would go for a Deluxe Room, since the cheapest room may be way too small if you have big luggage...
1  Thank TravelingMx
Hôtel G, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Guest,

A warm thank you for taking the time to share your stay at Hotel Gabriel Paris.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and our buffet breaksfast.
Thank you for your nice comment regarding our front desk staff. They always do their best to help improve our guests' stay however they can.

We truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you for your next Parisian stay.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed 6 nights at his hotel and we were not disappointed. Our room was simple yet elegant, good décor and lighting. The shower was a little small for a rain shower head (I seemed to soak the floor each time) but towels are easy to come by. The front desk was very friendly and helpful with all our questions or requests. They are well equipped with cities maps on helping direct you to wherever it is you're headed.
They offer breakfast for 18 Euros per day but we didn't bother. . there are so many nearby Cafe's to experience!
The hotel is in a great location, about a 5 minute walk to the Repulique Metro and many various Cafe's and shops. We easily walked to most of our sightseeing locations such as Notre Dame (about 20 mins), the Louvre Museum, The military Museum, etc. Paris is a place you need to walk through. . there is always something to see!
I would definitely return here on a future trip to Paris!

Room Tip: The elevator is snug. . . we had a hard time fitting our luggage. So if you have more than two bags...
1  Thank Brittney A

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay at Hotel Gabriel Paris.
Our team was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in a near future.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed 8 nights at this hotel. Everything was going great. The staff was very nice & helpful and breakfast was good. The room was small but adequate. The saddest part of this experience occurred when I discovered my sweater missing from my suitcase. That's when it all went downhill. It's a shame. After spending couple of thousand dollars at this hotel, the hotel manager would not take any responsibility to compensate me for a new $15 sweater (which is equivalent to the cost of two Ham & Cheese crepes down the street) that went missing from our room. Even though I knew the sweater was last seen in my suitcase, we still checked the room over twice before we even brought it to the attention of the frontdesk. I discovered it missing in the morning before we left the hotel but we didn't report it missing until the evening when we got back and had searched the room entirely for the 2nd time. My husband was so sweet and he tried to find the same sweater for me again that day to replace the one that went missing but they didn't have my size at that store's location. He did take a picture of it so that we could show the hotel. Please note that I don't wish to accuse anyone of any dishonesty. We still think it was a mistake/accident of some sort because we did a fair amount of shopping in Paris and we had packed up all our new purchases into our suitcases and all of the items still had their tags on them. If anyone really wanted to steal from us, there were much better things to take other than the $15 sweater that went missing. Really, it doesn't matter to us how or why it went missing. We just wanted this issue to be taken care of.

In summary, I can't, in good faith recommend this hotel to anyone else when my own security was compromised with seemingly no recourse to rectify the situation and ultimately, left with no peace of mind. Fortunately, it was an inexpensive item that I lost and not a ROLEX watch! This could have been an easy issue for the hotel to resolve as I only wanted to be reimbursed the item that was lost which cost less than a regular lunch in Paris. I think it was a reasonable request since we just spent a couple of thousand to stay at their establishment. But I was left feeling like it was my fault all this happened. Maybe I'm wrong and my request is not reasonable? I don't know. I just know that what I experienced isn't right.

The hotel manager spent more time "assuring" me that they employ men and women who they trust completely in order to ensure the security of their guests. Well, the reality is my security was not ensured. She even says that she "guarantees" that my safety has never been compromised at Hotel Gabriel Paris. Therefore, I'm delusional and this never actually happened? Wow! I don't know were in the world, denial is considered great customer service! I certainly didn't feel like I was heard and I definitely didn't feel like a valued customer. She clearly didn't believe me. I can't understand how she could feel that I would try to swindle her hotel for something that's worth only $15 after spending as much as we did to stay there.

Poor judgment on the hotel's part since this hotel has lost me as a customer forever and I will not recommend this hotel to anyone...and over $15....was it worth it for them? I'll get over it but not before I warn others. I think that's the worse feeling, when you don't feel safe and when you are given no peace of mind. Luckily, the price I paid was a small one.

All I can say is "Stay at your own risk. If anything goes missing, don't expect anyone to do anything about it". Make sure your contents are properly locked up in your suitcase. Our suitcases weren't locked. The room is quite small so there really wasn't anywhere to leave our stuff other than to keep them packed in our suitcases. Which was fine, that's always been our habit anyway. Makes packing up and checking out that much faster and easier. Our room was always left pretty tidy. I'm sure housekeeping could confirm that. We left her 2-3 Euros everyday to clean our room too. With all the places we've been to, we've never had anything like this happen.

1  Thank 6Ls2014
Hôtel G, Directeur général at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

We were glad to read that you overall enjoyed your stay, the assistance of our staff, your room and the buffet breakfast.

As previously discussed, when you informed us your sweater was missing, we never doubted your honesty and fairness and we did our best to recover your sweater.
We took care of this issue within short notice and with our utmost attention.
After calling both the maid and the housekeeper, we contacted the laundry company to make the necessary search urgently.

We understand that the disappearance of your sweater altered your opinion regarding your security at Hotel Gabriel Paris however once again, we can indeed guarantee that your security was at no time put at risk as we ensure a 24 hour presence at the hotel 7 days a week and follow strict protocols to ensure our guests' safety.

We are sorry that we could not offer a positive outcome and that our attitude did not meet your expectations.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Gabriel offers modern, stylish peaceful rooms, yet the hotel is only two minutes walk from the Place de la Republique!

The decor is funky, clean and modern, with excellent lighting - all unusual in this price bracket. The bathrooms are well designed with rain showers and hand-held sprays and the excellent lighting design is carried through from the bedroom itself.

My room was on the second floor at the front of the hotel with double windows overlooking the street. Any fear of a disturbed night's sleep were banished after a few minutes of being in the room - barely a whisper was audible from outside. This had less to do with the excellent sound proofing and more to do with the fact that the street itself has virtually no traffic, either motorised or pedestrian.

The buffet breakfast in the morning is excellent - typical of hotels of this size in Paris, but presented in a very stylish way. Bread and pastries are on offer, with fruit and yoghurts and ham and brie. Eggs are available to cook in a bain marie to your own specification and a Nespresso machine is on hand for coffee.

I would struggle to find any reason to fault this hotel and would certainly consider returning on my next trip to Paris.

Room Tip: The executive rooms offer more space for very little extra.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JeffersonLondon
Hôtel G, Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your warm comment regarding your stay at Hotel Gabriel Paris.

Our team was glad to read that you enjoyed our new decor as well as the design of your room.
Indeed, noise is rarely an issue since the hotel is located in a quiet street and we have made sure our windows offer excellent soundproofing.

We were also happy you enjoyed the fresh breakfast products since we do our best to ensure our guests start off with a healthy and tasty breakfast.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon for another great Gabriel experience !

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I must say I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor but decided to book anyway as my trip was a last minute break from the 28th of February to the 2nd of March 2014.

We stayed in a deluxe room. Design was stylish, clean, modern and over all I was extremely happy with it. The rooms were of decent size and felt comfortable and cosy.

Booking accommodation for myself and my partner who is also a male can sometimes be a bit daunting.. but the staff member we checked in with was an extremely friendly and informative gentleman, in fact all 4 front desk staff members I met were very pleasant, the type of thing that really does make a difference. The included wifi was also handy in finding sights for the next day on the Hotels app we downloaded.

The hotel was also in very close relation to 2 metro stations as specified on their website, and in fact not more than about 40 minutes walk away from some of the great sights Paris has to offer.

I did not purchase breakfast as we preferred to find other local locations.

Undoubtably one of the nicest hotel breaks I've had due to it's comfort and staff.

Is strongly recommend!

Thanks you!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SJQuayle
Hôtel G, Responsable Hébergement - Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest,

A warm thank you for taking the time to write your nice comment regarding your stay at Hotel Gabriel Paris.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your room and that our app was helpful.
We are always happy to welcome our guests in the best possible atmosphere and to ensure they have a wonderful stay.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you for your next Parisian stay.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Gabriel in 2011 (see my review) and it was rather a wow-experience - the second time around last weekend was still good but less wow.

We chose this hotel (then and now) for its modern, sleek, light look and the ingeneous pod-like spaceship-ish rooms, just like advertised on the designhotels.com website. Much to our surprise, when we came in, we noticed that the lobby was recently filled with ebony-coloured furniture and an abundance of dark accessoiries. Filled being the operative word - an entire shop-full of furniture crammed in the lobby. Mind you - not ugly furniture, it was all great boudoir-style stuff, but because they kept the white science fiction counter, it combines two styles that are simply impossible to combine and that gives the hotel a strange and little "off" appearance. If you're going for the sleek modern style a la the Seven or Kube hotels (also in Paris), this is no longer it.

Even though the rooms didn't change as much as the lobby, our room had a few extra accessoiries and ill-matching paintings that negatively impact the initial great clean stylish appearance of the original design. Several covers of lighting strips were loose and on the floor, the shower curtain (which is a little impractical and behind the times thing anyway for a hotel) had a little mold, the bed had big chunks of veneer missing, the iPod dock isn't compatible with current iPod/iPhone devices and there was that overall sort of 'worn' look.

That said, we only paid EUR 160 for a 'glowing' room, which is great for Parisian standards, even more so in combination with a lot of positive things that, despite the above, we haven't lost sight of:
- the location is wonderful (very close to the subway, to lots of Vélib' stands and to indoor parking Alhambra);
- the staff is beyond helpful (when we arrived parking Alhambra was full and the guy at reception, without even knowing we were guests, went out of his way to give and print directions to a different parking and to explain where else we could park - thank you);
- the rooms are cleverly designed and especially the deluxe/glowing rooms are very decent sized for Parisian standards;
- quiet street, but even if it's not, the insulation is very good, I usually need earplugs in Paris but not at the Gabriel;
- the street feels safe and comfortable;
- apples on the bed is a nice touch;
- it's getting increasingly difficult to find a hotel that offers twin beds, and this one does;
- they're good-sized and the best beds I've slept on in Paris;
- breakfast was good, the food was obviously not taken out of plastic three minutes before like in so many other hotels, there were lots of fresh things and the woman taking car of the breakfast bar was friendly and fast;
- the hotel (room, hallways, lobby) was very clean;
- out bathroom was very spacious;
- I love the fact that the management takes the time to read Tripadvisor reviews;
- small details (like their wonderful own tableware and the cool napkins, and the attentive and attractively designed mini-guide to the neighbourhood) do make a difference;
- wifi worked like a charm (be aware that one wifi code works on whatever device you have, but only on one at a time);
- check-in and check-out were very friendly and very fast.

The deluxe room, or at least ours, only have a tub, not a shower, which to us is strange and inconvenient - there was a shower head on a chord you can pull out of the side of the tub, but that is less than a meter long and the other person would have to hold that up and spray you with it to give you somewhat of a shower. Might not be a big deal for some people, but just thought it's worth mentioning.

For this price, this is still one of the best Parisian hotels to stay at and in certain areas they easily outdo many similarly and higher prices hotels! We'd definitely go again, but just with slightly adjusted expectations.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChantalvanderEnde
Hôtel G, Responsable Hébergement - Rooms Division Manager at Hotel Gabriel Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very detailed comment on your Parisian stay at Hotel Gabriel Paris.

We have indeed completely remodeled our lobby and breakfast area in order to offer our guests a more cosy and poetic ambiance filled with antiques as well as a very "British club" lounge area to sit and relax while helping yourself to the Honesty Bar.

We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your Glowing room with its confy bathroom and relaxing bathtub.

We thank you for your remarks concerning things we could improve and have taken the necessary actions.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.