“Quiet, simple, and friendly budget hotel near Paris metro”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Novex

Novex
Novex
Ranked #1,691 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
British Columbia
“Quiet, simple, and friendly budget hotel near Paris metro”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I booked the Hotel Novex a few weeks ahead, scrambling to find a Paris hotel before leaving for Europe. I chose the Novex based on availibility, location (parents were staying nearby in a different hotel), and price (my brother and I stay in hostels and budget hotels). With very few recent reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Novex is in a nice, clean neighbourhood just a few minutes on foot from Maison Blanche metro. The Chinese couple running the hotel were friendly, especially the lady who spoke with me cheerfully in both English and French... clearly doing her best to help me with my French. The hotel is clean and simply decorated. There's a small lift that fits two (or one with luggage) and a nice wooden stairway. The room was very simple and clean enough for two guys in their 20s, not immaculate that's for sure, but pretty decent for a budget hotel in Paris! The rate for a room with two beds (double and twin) was 66 euro. I orginally had booked one double bed for 60 euro (all that was available online at the time), but upgraded upon arrival. Decent value for Paris.

The only negative are the bites I had on my shoulders, which I discovered late in the day after the final night staying there. I don't believe they were bedbugs, as all the bites were only on my shoulders (the part of my body that was exposed above the covers) and nowhere else on my body. My brother found only one bug the first day, but we didn't believe it was a bedbug, and still think it was a random bug that flew in the window. So it's most likely the bites were from a spider, or perhaps a mosquito.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank ash272

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

Filthy, refused a refund for uninhabitable rooms, dirty smelly DO NOT GO

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank mysticalchild

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

My fiancee and I stayed here with some friends over New Years, and it was a good time. The staff has decent english speaking skills and are all very friendly. The rooms are not great, but not bad, the showers worked just fine, the beds were fairly clean and not too uncomfortable, and strangely enough, our room had a nice new LCD TV. The rates were better than other hotels in the area and it felt like a safe place.

The neighborhood wasn't great, we had to walk back on New Years Eve and we got in a bit of a scuffle with some locals, but that can mostly be blamed on the occasion. Our female companions also got hassled by some local youth once, but we quickly put that to rest.

The location is pretty good, metros nearby and tons of good food options. All in all, this was a good place to stay and despite some problems with the trip, the hotel was good. I can recommend this to any travelers heading to Paris.

• Liked — Price and Staff
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank hyperboarder
Daly City, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2005

My roommate and I stayed here April 8-11, 2005. Not the greatest of accomodations or cleanest of neighborhood, but fine nonetheless. The rooms were rather dank with a small bathroom and concave bed. It was definitely nice to have a private bathroom. The staff are very nice and helpful. The area is in the heart of Paris' Chinatown. There are a myriad of nice and inexpensive Chinese, Japanese, and Thai restaurant, but also places like McDonalds near by. There is actually a supermarket four doors down and a post office 10 minute walk away. Located near the Place d'Italie station off the PINK/#7 line, actually the Maison Blanche exit is best. There is breakfast in the morning too. This place is easily accessable to a lot of places in the surrounding area, including a lot of bars serving Calvados, or apple brandy...yummy (but very strong).

10 Thank LorenHenmi1