“Excellent hostel in an OK area”

Beautiful Belleville Hostel
Ranked #25 of 194 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 21 May 2014

On arrival we were really impressed at how well-decorated and clean the hostel was. We had a three-bed en suite private dorm, which was a bunk bed and a single bed. It was all very modern with only minimal evidence of previous guests (almost felt brand new!). There were four spacious lockers in the room (although our padlocks were too small for them and the doors just opened anyway, so we just kept stuff locked in our cases). Although it was small, it suited our needs perfectly as we didn't spend much time in the room. The same can be said for the bathroom, small but cleverly built to make use of space and the shower was better than my shower at home! Again all clean and like new.

Now, for the area. On the first night, we tried to find a restaurant nearby the hostel as we were quite tired from travelling. After an hour of wandering we couldn't find a restaurant that didn't seem to be primarily a bar, we ended up getting take away pizza and bringing it back to the room. During this wandering around we began to feel increasingly uneasy as it got darker. After a couple of days in Paris, we realised that we were in a pretty dodgy area; just around the corner from the hostel seems to be a prostitute hot spot. There's lots of graffiti (all over Paris but especially in Belleville) and the hostel is actually in china town. Despite this a couple of the bars seem to be extremely popular with young Parisians, on Friday night they were spilling out on to the road there were so many (it was an astonishing sight it looked uncomfortable!)

HOWEVER, the hostel is two minutes walk from the metro. My advice would be don't bother exploring around the hostel if you're just in Paris to see the sights, just walk from the hostel to the metro and in to the city centre without looking the Asian ladies on the corner in the eye. We had a great holiday and Beautiful City Hostel was fantastic, it was our own naïvety about the area. I would absolutely recommend this hostel to anyone who is in Paris for a short break to see the sights and looking for a clean and comfortable place to sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andrew F

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'd come over to Paris for the day to stay overnight to watch Ibrahimovic and co. in action for PSG. I checked in when I first arrived in Paris and the Hostel was nicely located around the corner from a string of accessible shops yet I couldn't hear a thing and I was situated directly above the entrance. The two receptionists I spoke to at check-in and check-out were great and very nice. They asked how I was, what I was going to do and generally were very pleased to help.

The room itself was a single private, e.g a single bed with a private bathroom. The room ws quite small but the fact I was in the room for about four hours tops (3 hours sleeping) meant it was perfect. Very clean and the fact 'Single' meant I had my own bunk bed was a great plus. I can't comment on Breakfast as I had to check out at 6.30am but it was part of the deal. Overall this Hostel was great, staff excellent, room exactly what I wanted and it's location (About 30 from Gare du Nord) and close to the Metro (I think it was Belleville) made this fantastic. Couldn't find a fault in my brief stay there.

Room Tip: Single Private is the one right above the entrance yet you can't hear anything downstairs nor do...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Located about 10min walk away from the 'Belleville' metro station, with many groceries shops and Asian cuisine restaurants along the way. We had a small private double room on the topmost level, but the room had a bit of a musty smell we weren't sure where it was coming from. Good thing we were staying in Spring, as we had to leave the windows open. Aside from that, staff was friendly, wi-fi was fast and there was a common kitchenette serving a decent breakfast with free-flow croissants. It was lovely that check-out was at 12noon, later than what most other hostels offered.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The internet was fast though you can only use it on one device at a time. The area felt safe though i wouldn't wander around late at night. There were a lot of what seemed to be chinese prostitutes on the way to the hostel. The metro stop was about a two block walk but there are groceries and restaurants nearby. Also the roasted duck by the metro stop is good.

I got a solo room and it was clean and spacious. The front desk was extremely helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Clean, modern hostel and friendly staff close to the metro. One of the best ones I have ever stayed in. There was no heating in the room though, so if you stay during winter it might be a problem. And no hair dryer to borrow.

One thing to note is the area. I stayed alone and encountered no problems at all, but it would be better for girls to travel as a group around the area (better to feel safer). There were prostitutes on the main road.

If i am travelling with more people next time I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Easily my favorite hostel. The staff was always friendly and helpful, breakfast was delicious, and our 6-person room was clean, spacious, and sunny. We met some wonderful people there! It's also an amazing value given its beautiful and safe location. I hope I have the chance to go back to Paris so I can stay here again!! Would recommend to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Great location(close to the Metro), super clean rooms,everything looks brand new, good breakfast, friendly staff. I really did not expect that from a hostel. Would definitely come back! Fully reccomend it!

• Stayed: March 2014