“Friendly!!”

Mundolingua
Ranked #166 of 1,276 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Language is one of the fundamental abilities that makes us human. It has also played a key role in the evolution of people and modern society. To reveal the secrets of language, Mundolingua gives you the opportunity to discover language, languages and linguistics. A real little "discovery area", Mundolingua invites you on a voyage in an unusual, fun and cozy setting, in the heart of the Latin Quarter: between the Luxembourg Gardens and Saint Sulpice. The different themes and services of Mundolingua: - Language Continent - Languages Continent - "Fun with language" Continent / Relaxation Space - New Technology & Linguistics Continent - Micro-Cinema, Shop. Mundolingua is open to everyone! Whether you are a beginner or an expert linguist, our exhibition has 3 levels of difficulty, so that you can go into more detail at every step. You are welcome to follow our news to hear about our events (conferences, panels, workshops...). Enjoy your visit!
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Mundolingua is situated right in the center of Paris! But is on a quiet little street which helps with getting away with the chaos of the big city. Cosy, interesting and a very very very friendly environment! I would highly recommend it everyone, all ages!!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Three of us went to explore this little-known delight, my husband, my french "copine" and I. This is a place where one could easily spend a week (I am serious) exploring all of the knowledge available in the various audio, video, poster, manipulable word games, a 4' x 6' Scrabble game with big boxes of letter tiles that allow you to play the game in one of 5 language.......etc, etc. Warm welcome from a charming young woman who gave us a helpful orientation to the place. Then the 3 of us wandered separately from one exhibit to the next, calling one another over to "look at this" or "listen to this." You will be intrigued by the many language questions posted around the space, and motivated to dig into the materials and find out the answers. We were full up with info after a couple of hours, but all 3 of us promised ourselves we would return. After you're done, you can walk two blocks over to Saint Sulpice or go a little further in that direction and there you are at Saint Germain, with book stores, cafes, and fabulous shopping waiting for you.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

What a wealth of information! They say it takes 1-2 hours to get through the museum, but for a language geek like me, it took me 2 hours to do half of it. I was exhausted and breezed through the basement. I guess I need to go back!
This is part technology, part someone's basement collection of linguistic related items. There are touch screens with occasional audio and video, leading you through many aspects of language. The walls and stands for the screens are covered with odds and ends related to whatever the touch screen is discussing. You get your own headphone set and plug it into the touchscreen when there is something to hear. There are bathrooms on both floors of the museum.
A great, quirky place, if you are into languages.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have never encountered a museum with such a wealth of information! I could easily have spent 3-4 hours there without getting bored. The museum was quite interactive and felt as it was created by true enthusiasts and lovers of language. A work of love, and I would recommend this to anyone, but particularily for the more academically inclined audience. A museum mentioning Noam Chomsky is always worth the visit, although I would have wanted to see more regarding his theories of universal grammar.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Are you tired of normal museums? Do your children complain that they are boring?
This place is an original treasure trove for adults and children alike and you will while away (at least) a couple of happy hours here.
I teach linguistics and I can vouch for the accuracy and correctness of the information given here - all presented in a fun and interactive way - and even close enough to the Luxemburg Gardens to combine with a picnic!