“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Pavillon Opera Lafayette
Ranked #1,662 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I won't bore you with why I have titled this review...briefly, there is no sign so none of the residents knew where it was, not helpful for taxis. The rooms were disgusting, dirty, smelly and tiny! And to top it all, the receptionist is the most unpleasant person I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. This is my first trip advisor review, i.e. I don't usually do this, but felt so strongly about this hotel that I don't think anyone should book here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Amy S

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel in zurich and paid it to the agancy 100€ per night for four nights.when we arrived we were shocked we wanted to get our money back they said its not possible .the room was the worst nightmare you could imagine i took pictures see them the curtains were hanging down , floors full of spells of coffee dirt and iron marks drawer old and broken... Blankets old and thin.. So hot No air condition .. Its so bad that i dont want go back to paris ever... It will totally ruins your trip .. Its 30 mins walk to Paris attractions 10 mins walk to train. Please dont choose this hotel its awful...breakfast 1 croissan 1 piece butter 1 jam coffee & tea & orange juice if you ask for more the woman points her finger and says only one for person! I travel alot , never seen or heard a hotel as bad as this ...

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank katy k
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I would have to agre the the guy who wrote the review about most disgusting hotel he has ever encountered. Hotel posted pictures on all hotel book sites in no way represent what you are going to get. If you want to ruin your trip to Paris Book this hotel.
Our travel agent booked this hotel through Air Transit on a prepaid basis. I cant belive Air transit would ever recommend this dump. When we arrived we given the keys to a room which upon entering had the heavy odor of Midewy mold. The bed spread had a large rip in it and appeared to have never been washed. It was old and dirty looking. When we went into the bathroom, I know knew where the mildew smell was coming from. It looked nothing like any of the pictures they have posted on line, but I did recognize it in the pictures from other tourist photos.

When went downstairs to complain there was another couple ahead of us who had just switched rooms and advised their new room wasn`t much better. Female clerk advised me they didnt have another room. `When I asked to speak to manager she advised this wasn`t possible as there was no manager. She advised hotel was owned by a group and it was not possible to contact them. She advised she only worked here,and since it was prepaid there was nothing she could do. At this point i realized staying here was going to ruin our first trip Paris, so my wife left our bags in room and went looking for another Hotel. After walking around the area we managed to find another hotel. We returned to otel where the was now a male at the desk speaking to an American women who was in tears. When I spoke to her, she told me she had just seen her room and was shocked at its condition. She had booked it online at booking.com and had booked a non refundable rate. It was her fisrt trip to Paris and her daughter was arriving tonight. She couldn`t bear to bring her daughter to this hotel. I did advise she could find other reasonable hotels in area which were clean and met a cleanliness standard. . I gave her the names of some other hotels we had seen, but she didn`t have the money to pay again. I felt so sorry for her.
The male desk clerk was no better then the girl. He seemed disintererested in our comments and in way I felt sorry for him and the girl earlier, as I am sure they deal with this on a regular basis.
( he later admitted was the case ). He again referred to some nefarious group which owned Hotel and could not be contacted and ther was nothing he could do for us.
My wife and I retreived our bags as there was no way we were staying in this dump, and letting it ruin our first trip to Paris, even though it meant giving up about 500 Euros.
It just goes to show how bad it was, that we were willing to walk away from this amount of money with likely no chance of ever seeing it from Air Transit. Look at the guest pictures on trip advisor. I am a police officer in Vancouver Canada and have seen better skid room hotels. The true pictures posted are the ones that show the dingey room with the moldey showers. Any review which in any way recommends this hotel is likely written by the owners or guests which come from a country where the don`t have any minimum standard of suitablity. My only regret is I didn`t take any photos. I hope to prevent others from making the mistake of booking a room here and wasting their money

Room Tip: Don`t stay here. You can find 3 star hotels for the same price in this area.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mike d
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My fiance and I stayed here in both March 2012 for 3 days, 3 nights and returned March 2013 for 4 days, 4 nights.
We loved it! Quirky little hotel with the friendliest staff, delicious fresh breakfast every day, and room cleaned every day.
As with all Parisian buildings, slightly small but definitely managable if you are sight seeing all day and just want to chill out in the evening, sleep, shower and have breakfast.
Any questions we had were welcomed and helpful repsonses were received. (Mine being how to get to the restaurant! Thank you for finding it!!)
Our flights were not until the evening on the day we checked out, yet we were able to leave our bags safely in the reception whilst we enjoyed our last full day.
We will definitely be staying here the next time we come to Paris, it is a gem of a hotel and ideally located if you enjoy wandering around as we did and taking in the real Paris!

Negatives: On our most recent stay, we had a front bedroom (11) where the heating was on full and unable to turn down, we kept our window open and outside was slightly noisy. (Not a real negative!)

Room Tip: We loved room 15 when we stayed in March 2012, our cosy room hidden round twists and turns!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex S
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel in March 2013 and had a room at the fifth floor. As many travellers here mentioned, everythig in it is indeed small, but if you look at the other hotels in the centre of Paris they all like these. For this price I really believe that it is quite decent. In fact the walls in the rooms are thin, but maybe we were lucky to have quiet neighbors so we never were awaken during the night or disturbed by any other noise. All receptionists are very friendly as well as the other staff. They have free wifi only in the hall, but for us it never was a problem, as we were leaving early morning and coming back late evening. The only thing that we really don't like is that when it suddenly turned to be cold outdoors (-3 C) it was also very cold in the room. And even all the blankets didn't help a lot. Breakfasts are typical for Paris, quite enough to start a good day. Location is perfect, not more than 20-30 min to get to all the most popular sights, but the district itself is not one of those to take a walk especially at night.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elena A
Reviewed 7 March 2013

On our arrival we were welcomed by an extremely polite receptionist. Reception was small but looked fairly respectable. Unfortunately it lead to the 'Chamber of Horrors' . In our party we are 3 couples. All rooms were totally unacceptable. i.e. Wallpaper hanging off, smell of damp and mould visable on ceilings round window frames. In the bathroom of the room My wife and I stayed in, the window was covered in pigeon droppings and at a small window in a shaft, a pigeon could actually be seen sitting on a nest. At this my wife freaked out and we were given another room the next day which was hardly any better. Sheets on bed were clean and towels although thin were fairly white. Blanket on bed looked worse than our family dog blanket!!! Pillows were flat and on request for 2 more we were told 'we have no more'. We knew we were paying for a basic hotel but even so you would expect a good level of cleanliness. It was obvious the staff have continuous complaints and in a subtle way they gave knowing shruggs. I shall be fighting for full repayment for what we paid for rooms. It ruined our 3 day trip to Paris and I never want to go again. I feel sorry for the staff who all tried to be friendly and helpful. Poor dears !!!!

Room Tip: Try another Hotel !!!!!!!! Avoid at all costs !!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 328RobertN
Reviewed 4 November 2012

If you like the smell of mold and so humid air that your hair will curl up, this is the hotel for you. I think that this hotel is actually very unhealthy so if you have asthma etc. don't book your room from here. The room was very small, on the floor (full of bumps and sloped) there was barely enough room for a suitcase. You were also able to hear all kinds of things from other rooms and corridor. Well, I guess this is what you get with a such low price, won't be definitely returning. Good things were the pleasant male person in the evening/night shifts and bug-free environment.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family