“Excellent hotel in a fantastic location with helpful staff”
Review of Hotel Diana

Hotel Diana
Ranked #519 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent hotel in a fantastic location with helpful staff”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a small but clean and cosy room with a recently modernised bathroom, which had a tiny fridge and even a kettle! It was in a fantastic location in the 5th Arrondissement right in front of the Sorbonne and a stone's throw away from Boulevard Saint Germain and a short walk away from the Ile de Cite. The staff were really friendly and helpful and Madame Cheval has an almost encyclopediac knowledge of the Paris public transport network.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SuzieLee71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I made a reservation only a few weeks prior to our 6 night stay in the beginning of May and the first few hotels I tried in the 5th arr. were booked. I was thrilled that Hotel Diana had a room available after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor. I was a little nervous about the reservation though, because I am used to giving a hotel a credit card number or something to secure my spot and they just asked for my name. But check in was no problem at all, so I needn't have worried.

Kudos to Edward, who helped us check in. He gave us an email he had received that day from one of the companies we had booked a tour through. Evidently the day we had booked a tour of Mont St. Michel was going to be out because the abbey staff planned to strike that day. They offered us 3 alternate dates but with a full itinerary, we were going to have to hope that another tour company would let us change dates at the last minute (which I felt was unlikely) or just miss something. Edward kindly assisted us by calling the tour operator for one of our other tours and asked them if we could change days. They allowed the change and we were able to change our Mont St. Michel tour to one of the alternate days.

The housekeeping staff does a really great job. The bathtub positively sparkled. And one day I stayed in bed after feeling unwell and when housekeeping showed up, they were very concerned and took care of emptying the garbage and made sure I didn't need anything else.

There were a couple of issues that aren't really the hotel's fault, but it does affect whether I'd stay again so I'll mention them. This is a small hotel and I only saw the first couple of floors, but from what I saw, some rooms don't share walls with another room. Unfortunately we had a neighbor on the other side of our wall and he had a persistent cough. That was tolerable enough I guess, but he decided to make a phone call at 3:45 am one night in an incredibly loud voice, waking both myself (light sleeper) and my husband (heavy sleeper). I called the front desk and they said they'd ask him to keep it down but by the time I finished speaking to the front desk (about 5 minutes into his call), he hung up.

The other problem was that my neighbor was a smoker. I saw a sign next to the elevator that said smoking wasn't allowed in the hotel and inquired at the front desk because more than once I could smell smoke in the hallway and in our room and we weren't smoking. The front desk person speculated that our neighbor was smoking out the window and then the smoke was drifting in through our open window. However, we smelled smoke at times that our window was closed. The front desk person said that they have these smoke alarms that will sound if cigarette smoke is detected but the one in our room was in the bathroom so I'm guessing our neighbor was just closing the bathroom door then smoking to his heart's content in the room. So if I were to stay there again, I would only stay there if I could be in one of the rooms that are situated kind of off to themselves.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pugmama-san
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Diana over the Easter period and couldn't fault anything about it. The room rates are very reasonable (especially for the time of year) and the rooms small but comfortable with everything you could want. The location is the best thing about it and within walking distance of some great restaurants and bars. We walked everywhere from there and took in as much as possible in the short time we were there. The staff were great and very informative. I particularly liked the uncomplicated way of reserving a room without pre-payment etc.. Would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone wanting a very reasonable central hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are very quiet but the rooms at the front, although noisier, have...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AustraliaBeachbelle
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Would absolutely recommend the Hotel Diana! The staff is friendly and helpful - professional and nice to chat with, fluent in English, offered some wonderful recommendations of restaurants, sights, etc! (Thomas and Damian were particularly friendly and courteous)
The location is ideal - central for exploring Paris and convenient for getting to and from the airport or taking a day trip to Versailles using the RER! My stay was 13 nights so having a mini fridge in the room was superb for keeping costs down - Monoprix and Franprix are both a few blocks away. There's also a lovely market in Place Maubert on Thursdays and Saturdays.
The room I stayed in, #32, was comfortable, quiet, and most importantly clean. Free Wifi is fantastic and there's a computer with printer in the lobby which I used for booking advance tickets, etc.
As other folks have mentioned, restaurant next door is quite good too!
Would certainly stay here again in the future!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank eslcunningham
uk/usa
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Returned back to hotel Diana in April 2014 having stayed the year before for a long weekend.

It's nothing fancy but is in an excellent location just a few mins walk from Sorbonne/Notre dame/ latin quarter/pantheon and 10 mins to Luxembourg gardens.
Nearest tube is Cluny Sarbonne

Rooms don't vary a great deal, are generally cosy but usually have a modern bathroom and are clean. Good value in my opinion for this part of paris, if you want a flashy large room you pay for it!

I've never got the breakfast so can't comment on that, staff are very friendly and usually go out of their way to help with whatever you need.

Tip- the restaurant next door has lots of good reviews, I've not had a chance to eat there other than a quick coffee and breakfast snack, proprietor was very friendly.

If you walk a block down to the intersection with bvd st Germain you will see Lou Lou's to the left- great for a gourmet burger and very hipster. To the right, bistro le grand Cluny, very deceiving, had 2 great dinners here not expecting much at all, very friendly staff.

I'm sure will return to Diana for the convenience and price, give it a go, you won't have any scares at this little gem!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank HattyB
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hubby and I stayed in Hotel Diana for 6 nights. We absolutely loved this hotel!

Pros:
- Location! Close to the Seine, Notre dame and St Germain. We walked to most of the major attractions in Paris, and only took the metro to the Eiffel tower and Sacre Coeur basilica.
- Continental breakfast for 8 euros including french breads and pastries, hot drink of choice, cheeses, cereals. Convenient and the croissants were delicious!
- Staff were helpful in recommendations
- Super quiet room! There are double windows so you cant hear the traffic outside at all. We stayed on the 3rd floor facing the street and it was beautiful!
- 5 min walk to Notre Dame-St Michel RER station and less than 5 mins to other metro stations St Michel, Sorbonne and Cluny. The Notre Dame-St Michel RER station is direct from CDG airport so no need to interchange. Also provides a direct train to Palace of Versaille and Gare du Nord for Eurostar services!
- Clean room and bathroom and fast wifi

To note:
- Room was small, but cosy and we got used to the size!
- Elevator is small, but we managed to fit an XL suitcase and a carry on with us. We mostly used the staircase anyway except on arrival and departure.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank coleen85
Ipswich, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is our second stay at the Hotel Diana. It's rooms are reasonably priced, clean and the breakfast has variety and is affordable. We stayed on the third floor in the front. Since the weather was cool, we found that the room was very quiet by just making sure that both sets of double windows were shut. The room is small but large enough for two people. There is a suitcase stand and a desk, bed and two chairs. The only lighting is an overhead light in the bedroom. I would suggest that the proprietors invest in a nice lamp for the desk to provide more ambient lighting. The bed was comfortable and sheets and quilt were white. That is what we like. We found our floor to be very quiet and we appreciated that. The bathroom, though small, was remodeled and clean. As one of the other reviewers stated, we too, were pleased with the ample water pressure. Breakfast is only 8Euros and you have a lovely choice of pastries, baguettes, fresh fruit, cheeses, yogurts, dried fruit, cereals, milk, an ample carafe of coffee and steamed milk. If you walk left out of the hotel, you can be at hip little restaurants in the Sorbonne district in minutes or the Pantheon area of Paris. A turn to the right takes you to Avenue Saint Germain with upscale shops and famous cafes. Notre Dame is a 5 minute walk. Location, location, location. Attendants at the hotel are polite and helpful. We will return to the hotel Diana on another trip to Paris.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple