“Hotel Diana, Paris”
Review of Hotel Diana

Hotel Diana
Ranked #553 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We spent 4 nights at this hotel and loved every minute. The location is fantastic, it was spotlessly clean and staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was so worthwhile at 8 Euros but due to our tight program, we only managed to have breakfast once at the hotel. The room itself wasn't as small as I envisaged (from previous reviews). It was just perfect and we will definitely be back. Thank you Madame Cheval and staff for a most enjoyable stay in the beautiful city of Paris.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Marlene717

Reviewed 3 June 2014

As a woman traveling alone, this was a perfect place to stay -- Madame Cheval runs a tight ship! Friends recommended the Hotel Diana to me, so I knew not to worry when I made the reservation by email and the hotel did not take my credit card to reserve the room. I had asked for, and was booked into, a double room on a high floor with a city view, and the room had everything I needed and was perfectly quiet with the double windows closed at night. The bed was very comfortable, the room and modern bath were positively spotless, there was free wifi, and, as everyone comments in their reviews, you can't ask for a more perfect location. I walked everywhere -- although the metro is very close by, I only needed to take it on one of my five days in Paris. The hotel staff are exceedingly helpful and all speak English (so there was no need to dust off my high school French), but it was nice to hear as much French spoken among the hotel guests at breakfast as English. And I do recommend the breakfast, which you reserve the night before. I will definitely return to the Hotel Diana on my next trip to Paris!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Marcia K
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I keep coming back to Rue Saint Jaques and Hotel Diana. It has a quiet charm and the staff is very nice and helpful. Rooms are small but airconditioned and very comfortable. Also perfect for romantic weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a small but clean and cosy room with a recently modernised bathroom, which had a tiny fridge and even a kettle! It was in a fantastic location in the 5th Arrondissement right in front of the Sorbonne and a stone's throw away from Boulevard Saint Germain and a short walk away from the Ile de Cite. The staff were really friendly and helpful and Madame Cheval has an almost encyclopediac knowledge of the Paris public transport network.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SuzieLee71
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I made a reservation only a few weeks prior to our 6 night stay in the beginning of May and the first few hotels I tried in the 5th arr. were booked. I was thrilled that Hotel Diana had a room available after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor. I was a little nervous about the reservation though, because I am used to giving a hotel a credit card number or something to secure my spot and they just asked for my name. But check in was no problem at all, so I needn't have worried.

Kudos to Edward, who helped us check in. He gave us an email he had received that day from one of the companies we had booked a tour through. Evidently the day we had booked a tour of Mont St. Michel was going to be out because the abbey staff planned to strike that day. They offered us 3 alternate dates but with a full itinerary, we were going to have to hope that another tour company would let us change dates at the last minute (which I felt was unlikely) or just miss something. Edward kindly assisted us by calling the tour operator for one of our other tours and asked them if we could change days. They allowed the change and we were able to change our Mont St. Michel tour to one of the alternate days.

The housekeeping staff does a really great job. The bathtub positively sparkled. And one day I stayed in bed after feeling unwell and when housekeeping showed up, they were very concerned and took care of emptying the garbage and made sure I didn't need anything else.

There were a couple of issues that aren't really the hotel's fault, but it does affect whether I'd stay again so I'll mention them. This is a small hotel and I only saw the first couple of floors, but from what I saw, some rooms don't share walls with another room. Unfortunately we had a neighbor on the other side of our wall and he had a persistent cough. That was tolerable enough I guess, but he decided to make a phone call at 3:45 am one night in an incredibly loud voice, waking both myself (light sleeper) and my husband (heavy sleeper). I called the front desk and they said they'd ask him to keep it down but by the time I finished speaking to the front desk (about 5 minutes into his call), he hung up.

The other problem was that my neighbor was a smoker. I saw a sign next to the elevator that said smoking wasn't allowed in the hotel and inquired at the front desk because more than once I could smell smoke in the hallway and in our room and we weren't smoking. The front desk person speculated that our neighbor was smoking out the window and then the smoke was drifting in through our open window. However, we smelled smoke at times that our window was closed. The front desk person said that they have these smoke alarms that will sound if cigarette smoke is detected but the one in our room was in the bathroom so I'm guessing our neighbor was just closing the bathroom door then smoking to his heart's content in the room. So if I were to stay there again, I would only stay there if I could be in one of the rooms that are situated kind of off to themselves.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pugmama-san
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Diana over the Easter period and couldn't fault anything about it. The room rates are very reasonable (especially for the time of year) and the rooms small but comfortable with everything you could want. The location is the best thing about it and within walking distance of some great restaurants and bars. We walked everywhere from there and took in as much as possible in the short time we were there. The staff were great and very informative. I particularly liked the uncomplicated way of reserving a room without pre-payment etc.. Would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone wanting a very reasonable central hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are very quiet but the rooms at the front, although noisier, have...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AustraliaBeachbelle
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Would absolutely recommend the Hotel Diana! The staff is friendly and helpful - professional and nice to chat with, fluent in English, offered some wonderful recommendations of restaurants, sights, etc! (Thomas and Damian were particularly friendly and courteous)
The location is ideal - central for exploring Paris and convenient for getting to and from the airport or taking a day trip to Versailles using the RER! My stay was 13 nights so having a mini fridge in the room was superb for keeping costs down - Monoprix and Franprix are both a few blocks away. There's also a lovely market in Place Maubert on Thursdays and Saturdays.
The room I stayed in, #32, was comfortable, quiet, and most importantly clean. Free Wifi is fantastic and there's a computer with printer in the lobby which I used for booking advance tickets, etc.
As other folks have mentioned, restaurant next door is quite good too!
Would certainly stay here again in the future!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo