“Friendly Hotel in Paris”
Review of Hotel d'Argenson

Hotel d'Argenson
Ranked #726 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly Hotel in Paris”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Very friendly, family oriented hotel. Offered help to us in every possible way. Made sure we were comfortable. Beautiful sweet cocker spaniel dog greeted us every evening. I would most definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfort and convenience in Paris. Very reasonable priced too :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MilfordSteve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I wrote a review of this hotel some time ago while some renovations were taking place. I returned in October 2012 for a week and in March 2013 overnight for a concert. The hotel is such good value for money that I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of income.

The rooms are in a charming, traditional French style with lovely old windows and a good view over the surrounding area. Breakfast is complimentary - a croissant and a baguette with marmelade or jam and with a choice of hot drink - and this is served in your room every morning at the time you choose - a lovely touch.

The hotel has a fantastic location, in an upmarket area of the city, within walking distance of the Champs-Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe. Do visit the Musee Jacquemart-Andre, nearby on the Boulevard Haussmann, which has an amazing cafe. You can also walk to Parc Monceau just up the road, which is an idyllic park on a sunny day. If you go on a Sunday morning, you can watch (or join in!) with the joggers doing their circuits.

The owners of the hotel are friendly and welcoming. You feel like you are staying in somebody's home, and that is why I keep going back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed here in early May for two nights. The owners could not have been more welcoming or charming. We arrived very early on an overnight train from Barcelona and were able to check right in and go to our room - that alone was priceless. The room is good sized - I love the high ceilings. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spotless. The breakfast delivered to your room is definitely enough to get you started for the day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crcorr
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We just left today this hotel, after a few days there.
The building is a very old one, I guess at least 100 years old, and in my opinion in need of a overall renovation, specially as for the windows and doors systems.
It should be done respecting the original colours and make, however new double-glazed windows would help a lot to cut electricity bill.
The same suggestion I'd use for the lighting system: still the old filament lamps, not any kind of energy saving lamps, today available even with warm colours.
Rooms very small, pillows not so good for us, moquette in the floor.
The pros: nice location in Paris for a fair price (for Paris); very nice Owners, they treated us with sympathy and warmness, always smiling to us and asking if we had any need.
Their welcoming attitude let us appreciate the stay, and remember this place with sympathy.
Should we come back in Paris, I would probably get here again.
I thanks once again the Owners and I remain available if they'd like to listen some suggestion from a frequent professional traveller as I am.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Lot-et-Garonne
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I wrote this review over four years ago, and recently stayed there again - absolutely nothing has changed, and it's still a great place to stay:
"I've stayed at the d'Argenson, as have my family and friends, at least a dozen times over the past ten years, so I think I'm very well qualified to make comment. As my son said when he arrived last year after a troublesome flight from Australia, "It felt like arriving home again..." One of our friends described it as 'shabby chic' which I think pretty much sums it up - not very modern, a little down at heel, but very comfortable. Compared with other hotels we've used in Paris, it's very modestly priced, and the rooms are generously proportioned. The people who run this hotel (it's a long-established family concern) have become quite good acquaintances, and are very obliging. But they were so before we ever arrived on the scene - my cousin was robbed at a metro station on his way there for his first visit, and they loaned him 200 Euros until he could replace his credit cards! If you know of another hotel in Paris that'll do that, let me know! Bottom line, regardless of our income, we'll always be returning to the d'Argenson."

Room Tip: Ask for a large room overlooking the Boulevard Haussmann.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PeterFrance
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel 3 nights while being in Paris in August. We are family of 4 and it was very hard to get a room for our family at reasonable price. Hotel d'Argenson delivered, they accomodated us with a great price 110 euro/night. The location is really amazing you can get everywhere on foot, there are also 2 metro stations very close. Two gentelmens at the reception were really nice and helpful, and breakfast in the room was great.
We really liked our balcony, room overall was clean, the only downside was dirty carpet in the room. Some people were complainng about a/c; we were just leaving windows open and had no problems in August heat.
There is computer for the guests use on the first floor...kids were very happy about it.
We would recomend this hotel to anyone who wants to be in great location for a reasonable price...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Agnes75
Pamplona
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I've been sending clients to the Argenson as part of Spyns Tour de France tours for years and their reviews have always been positive. So when I decided to bring my family to Paris as part of a 2013 Tour de France pre-trip, I didn't hesitate to stay here. Starting with the positives, there is no better deal in Paris as far as hotel rates are concerned. Getting a room for less than US$150/night in Paris is virtually impossible but the Argenson has not only rooms in this price range but with breakfast included. Room size would be my next positive comment. Most Paris hotel rooms are the size of postage stamps so the large, spacious rooms at the Argenson and huge bathrooms are a welcome change. Readers should note that you have to specify if you want a bath, shower, or shared bathroom. We requested a family room (3 beds) and got a huge room + bathroom. Two more positives are location and service. The hotel is just 2 blocks from the nearest subway/metro station (Miromensnil) and about 6 blocks from the Champs Elysees. It's also located in the swanky 8th arrondissment so you're not too far from the Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, and Place de la Concorde. Service was friendly and professional as always and they've added a new touch with in-room breakfast service. Now that I've covered some positives, here are some drawbacks I'll be telling Spyns 2013 Tour de France clients. The first is noise. The hotel is directly above a subway line so starting 5 a.m., the entire building shakes every 2-3 minutes with the passage of trains. So if you are a light sleeper, stay on the 3rd floor or higher. The second drawback is a general comment that this hotel is a bit like staying at grandma's house. It's needs a bit of a paint job, fawcets leak a bit, and the beds are a bit lumpy so if you love modern hotels, I'd probably stay elsewhere. So I'll recommend the Argenson to Spyns clients staying a few days in Paris before or after their Spyns Tour de France tour. It's the best deal in Paris as far as location and service are concerned and I'll be back again next year to pre-plan our TDF tours.

Room Tip: Request a room with bath (rather than shower) as you'll likely get a bigger room and stay on upp...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family