and 1 more site!
Hotel du Champ de Mars
Ranked #379 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I had booked a hotel in the Latin Quarter for one week. Checked in and found out that their elevator wasn't working and I was on the sixth floor in a "superior" single. Saw the room and immediately hailed a cab and went to my favorite hotel in Paris, the Hotel du Champ de Mars hoping they would have a cancellation. Slyn, at the front desk, did some master juggling and got me in the hotel for the week, moving a couple of times. This is the fifth time I have stayed at this charming hotel with a very welcoming staff and pleasant owners, Stephane and his charming wife Francoise. The prices are very low for this area, especially when you check out the two hotels on the same street. They are more than double the price of the HDCDM. I like the fact that in bad weather, I got some snow showers, you can literally walk out the front door of the hotel and within a minute you are sitting in a bar or restaurant enjoying Paris. Also, the metro is a three minute walk away and I used it quite often to go to other parts of Paris. Don't forget to book early, this hotel fills up fast!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank mpopkin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 6 February 2010

We spent a total of 6 nights at Hotel du Champ de Mars and loved the comfort, cleanliness, location, and graciousness of owners, Francoise and Stephan, and their staff. The hotel is in a perfect location for exploring Paris-a couple of blocks from the Eiffel Tower, Metro and train stations, and just off of Rue Cler. At the end of a day of exploring Paris, the hotel was so nice to come 'home' to, and to be able to walk up to Rue Cler for a meal at one of the many bistros or shop at the markets....we felt like we were in a charming country town within Paris. A great Value. We have already stared spreading the word about Hotel du Champ de Mars with friends.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 3dogsMaggieValley_NC
Reviewed 1 February 2010

It was my first trip to Paris and we had booked this hotel through reviews we saw on trip advisor. The hotel was clean, the people were very friendly and the basics were perfect! You can see the tower from the front windows since it is walking distance. Rates were very reasonable, I had talked with a collegue of mine and he told me he had gone to Paris and had a bad hotel, then said he had found this wonderful little place near the tower, he had said that even though he had no reservation and totally chanced it had a great experience, we soon found out that we had stayed at the SAME place. So there you have it 2 reviews in one.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rmoreno1254
Reviewed 25 January 2010

My wife and I spent a few days in Normandy then headed to Paris on 12/31 in time to catch New Years Eve in the City of Light. The hotel is located in the heart of the Rue Cler neighborhood...a block from a Metro station and a few minutes walk to the Eiffel Tower. You really can't pick a better location. The rooms are cozy, and the beds comfortable. For the price you can't get a better deal in the heart of Paris.
I think those who complain about this hotel have unrealistic expectations. If you are used to large rooms with king beds and a lobby with a Starbucks you will be dissapointed. If you are looking for a great place to sleep in the heart of a true Parisian neighborhood at an affordable price you will be completely satisfied!
In the mornings I would walk down the street to a local bakery and pick up a chocolate croissant and then head over to a cafe and do as the locals do...would eat the croissant at the bar with a cafe au lait. Or you can sit and have breakfast for about 5 euros...cheaper than at the hotel and you get to experience breakfast in a Parisian cafe.
In the evenings there are a bunch of reasonably priced cafes to eat dinner. Be sure to try the Italian restaurant around the corner! Since this is a true neighborhood the prices are not inflated for the tourists and you will eat with the locals.
You will love your stay at this hotel and neighborhood!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank telleroftruth
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I liked this hotel and would stay here again. The rooms are cozy, the elevator and room tv's are small and there was no view from the windows, but I can't complain about anything else. It was a nice stay and the staff are helpful. I wish the breakfast had some eggs or meat though: just bread and yogart. Walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, lots of shops, restaurants, pharmacy, subway, paid parking lot, etc.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank violetfeather
Reviewed 27 December 2009

My friend and I stayed here in June 2009. The location could not be beat. We were maybe a block away from a Metro station and only a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower. The room was tiny, but expected given we were in the centre of Paris. The bathroom was fantastic. There was a very deep tub which was great after a day touring around Paris.
The atmosphere in the neighborhood was great. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank sarahjanesandra
Reviewed 26 December 2009

I have stayed in Rue Cler area many times and I keep coming back. For single women travelling alone, I feel VERY safe here and it is very well run by the owners, who are very accomodating with help and advice. Beds are comfy and looks to have been recently renovated and updated. Very nice having an elevator to use. Not something that I have found in Paris all the time. Will keep coming back. Thanks for a great stay!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends