“Decent hotel, decent location”

Hotel Villa Modigliani
Ranked #796 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

This is a decent option in Montparnasse for the price. A couple of things to point out: the wifi is very spotty and slow, and the bathtub is one of those only half covered by a glass so you get water all over the bathroom floor when you shower. But they do offer a good breakfast even if they make you pay €15 for it.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed here for a few nights and all we really needed was a place to put our heads down. This was clean, tidy and had good transport links with the metro. I would definitely recommend using the metro from the airport to Port Royal for anyone staying here. Cheap, cheerful and minimal fuss.

Overall, although we didn't end much time in the hotel it was just what we needed.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The scene: I enter the breakfast room, not too busy as it was 9.30 already. One of the ladies from the hotel staff was cleaning the tables and completely ignores my arrival. I chose a table and was having my breakfast when I decided to approach the 'table cleaner' to let her know which was my room number, as otherwise how would they charge me for the breakfast? I speak only a few words in French, so I addressed her in English. She looked at me as if I was profoundly annoying her and said: Je ne comprends pas! and without any more attempts to try to understand what a CUSTOMER was saying (i.e. find someone else from the staff who spoke English) she moved on with her cleaning. The fact that staff do not speak English could be forgiven (I guess) but it was her attitude that was really not acceptable. The good side: the location, very close to Vavin Metro station and many shops and restaurants. Apart from that, the hotel needs a full revamp. I would stay in Villa Modigliani again..only if there was absolutely no other option.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We just spent 5 nights at Villa Modigliani. For the price, it is a little gem. The first night we stayed in a tiny room (only room for 1 suitcase). The next day we asked the person on reception if it was possible to change rooms and with a smile we were given a bigger room. The beds are very comfortable and the A/C worked well and was quiet. Towels were changed everyday and the staff are very nice. Kudos to Shupikai. She is one of the reception staff and was always helpful and smiling;

The location of Villa Modigliani is super. It is in a courtyard, no noise, very close to the metro, lots of restaurants in the area. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had a great experience staying at this hotel for the past five nights, in fact I would say it is my new favourite hotel in Paris. It has many features which are unusual for a Parisian hotel in this price bracket. 1. It has a garden. 2. It is set in a pretty courtyard off the main street, so it is blissfully quiet. 3. It has a room service menu - not all hotels at this price level do. 4. Staff were generally very kind and helpful, they went out of their way to accommodate me. 5. I don't know if this is the case in every room, but my room had a proper fridge, what an excellent idea. 6. Rooms are quite large for Paris. Yes furnishing are a little scuffed around the edges, and the hairdryer isn't great, but for me those were minor issues. 7. Once in the room, there is another door to the bedroom you can close, this cuts out noise from the corridor outside. 8. There are two generously sized lifts. 9. There are room safes, and although small, my Macbook Air just fitted, another bonus. 10. Really nice big bathroom.

I can't comment on the breakfasts, but there are so many cafes right on rue Delambre and rue Vavin, and a Starbucks on nearby rue Brea, so it's not like you'd have to rely on this. There's also a bakery and a big Franprix supermarket a few doors down. Also the wifi actually worked, and wasn't restricted to only one device - again in Paris this is not a given!

Finally, i thought they had a very intelligent system for dealing with that universal hotel problem, what to do with your bags when you check out but have several hours to kill before your flight. They have a baggage room with security card entry. And if you wanted, you could kill that time sitting in their garden drinking wine and continuing to use their wifi which you still get access to once you check out. All in all i can't say enough good things!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank ACLondon1
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel has a lot of potential pluses going for it but needs work to achieve it's potential. First the good things....
It is in the Montparnasse neighborhood which is a great location. You can walk to many good restaurants and markets and if you are a walker you can walk to the Seine and the surrounding attractions. If you are not a walker the Metro is nearby as are bus lines and the Hop on Hop off bus stops. They have a lovely courtyard and garden where you can relax with a glass of wine in the evening.
Now the negatives....
The hotel is in need of some cosmetic updating although the bedding is very clean and good pillows. Our room had broken air conditioning and it was suffocating in there. We could get no help with this for the first two nights and FINALLY got them to change our room to one with working a.c. The breakfast was marginal with scrambled eggs that looked more like yellow soup and bacon that was never cooked. For 15 euros it was no bargain! The other problem for women is that their hair dryers are old and basically useless, rather like blowing your hair with a vacuum cleaner hose. Ours we had to beat to get it to even turn on. Time for an update folks!
Our biggest complaint is about some of the staff. Many were nice and helpful but others were anything but. To get a glass of wine or a Diet Coke you had to hunt down the bar person and when we needed help with the a.c. Issue it was a joke. I think some of their staff could use a little training in customer service.
My other suggestion is to book this if you must directly with the hotel as you will get a much better rate.

Room Tip: If it's summer make sure the a.c. Works!