“Extremely basic, but clean and good location”

Hotel de la Perdrix Rouge
Ranked #1,334 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 21 November 2013

It took me a while to decide whether to rate this place as "very good" or "average". I ended up on very good, because it fulfilled its promises: budget accommodation in central Paris. Among other two star establishments in Paris, I think this place offers good standard of service. For the price we payed, I wasn't expecting much, but was happily surprised by the cleanliness of the room. Especially the bathroom was very clean and seemed recently refurbished. It was also very big, almost the same size as the rest of the room. There's an old church right next to the hotel. Our view was onto a backyard, but from the floor-plan it seemed like most of the rooms had a nice view of the church.

An other great thing about this place is its location. It's literally right next to a metro exit and with a few changes on the metro you can get anywhere in Paris. The area around the hotel has a nice local vibe to it. Lots of small shops selling bread, meat, fish, chocolate etc. Especially one cheese shop had the nicest personnel ever. They were helpfully explaining us about different cheeses and packed the ones we chose sous-vide so that they'd stay good until we got home. There's also Monoprix and Nicolas for wine and champagne around the corner. Restaurants and bars are also quite easy to find in the neighborhood. We tried the one right next to the hotel which had most welcoming and sincere owner ever. Food was good quality for the price and the place was so nice that we ended up going for drinks there on another night too. We felt we had the most genuine service in this part of town, probably because people aren't tired with tourists yet.

The reasons why I hesitated between "very good" and "average" were the plainness and the size of the hotel. The furnishing of the room is very, very basic and seems old. The wardrobe was the smallest I've ever seen and there was only one hanger for two people. Bed was comfortable and there's a flat-screen TV though. Our room was very small, even by Parisian standards I think. The elevator was tiny. We couldn't get in to the same elevator with our luggage, and my friend and I are quite fit and traveled with smallish suitcases. But the building is old and narrow so you can't really put a big elevator into it. We took it as part of the buildings charm and used the stares instead. Building isn't convenient if you have moving constraints though.

So if you're looking for a basic and clean place to sleep for a budget price in central Paris, then this might be your place. But don't expect anything above basic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank HSuomi

Reviewed 9 October 2013

The hotel is good, very clean, and what I really appreciated was the very helpful staff. I arrived in Paris a week earlier than originally planned, during an extremely busy time, and all hotels in my price range seemed to be full. I had my room at Perdrix Rouge for only 3 nights, and they were booked solid after that for the remainder of the week. One of the people at reception was wonderfully helpful, by calling their affiliate hotel and managing to secure a room for me for the 4 nights after my stay at Perdrix Rouge (I had to change rooms at the other hotel 3 times because of their bookings, but it wasn't a problem). He saved me a great deal of time and stress, and he was extremely cheerful and helpful. The hotel is in the Belleville area, which is one of my favorite parts of Paris, and yet only a few metro stops to places like Republique and Chatelet des Halles. Very convenient. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank LGRTL
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights.
The room (for 3 people) wasn't very big but was clean and so the bathroom. Towels were changed daily.
The staff was kind and helpful.
I found especially convenient the position as the metro was very close to the hotel and the area was quiet and offered many supermarkets and shops.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carolars
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The hotel was comfortable, clean and very very convenient to access the Metro. Had some good bars nearby. The bathroom and shower was much bigger than we were expecting based on previous reviews! The room was cleaned every day and towels changed if indicated every day. The lift was very small but a help to take the luggage up as were on the 3rd floor! A small drawback was the noise from garbage trucks in the early hours of the morning.

The staff were polite and helpful with directions. Would stay here again if visiting Paris.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you are looking for luxury, the Perdrix Rouge is not for you, but if you are looking for somewhere simply to shower and sleep, this hotel offers clean, basic rooms at a very reasonable price for Paris. (When I say basic, I don't mean it was lacking amenities - it had a TV, hairdryer, reasonably sized cupboard and a fridge). Our room was small, but we had a great view out over the church. The bathroom was fine, although the shower stall was a bit on the small side. Oh, one other thing, the lift is tiny so not a hotel for someone with a lot of luggage. The area around the hotel has everything you might need, including a pharmacy that opens on Sunday and plenty of places to eat, and the ambience is nice, plus the hotel is right next to the metro.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Wonderful basic accommodations. We stayed here with our two children for three days and found it to be clean. Traveling for an extended vacation to several countries and therefore on a budget -- we found our only real requirements to be a safe and clean place to sleep with a quick train ride to the center of Paris. The surrounding area, parks and bakeries, should not be overlooked!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Having stayed here with my boyfriend for four nights last week, I have nothing but praise for this hotel. Being students (18 and 20), we were looking for something inexpensive, and it seemed that Hotel La Perdrix Rouge fitted the bill.

Our room was on the top (fifth) floor but this didn't prove to be much of a problem with our cases due to the small (and when I say small, I mean absolutely tiny) lift. The room itself was perfect for a short stay: clean and well kept with fresh sheets and towels every day. As for the bathroom, it wasn't huge (we opted for a room with a bath, however anyone but a very small child would have had difficulty fitting themselves in) but did the job. Bed was comfy (just about long enough for us, so people taller than 6 ft, watch out) and there was a selection of different pillows and sheets on offer in the room - the only thing that made sleeping uncomfortable was the heat, and without the promised fan in our room we only had the window to keep us cool, which, fair enough, did actually keep us from overheating.

Staff spoke a bit of English, although most of the time we were out all day, so we didn't see much of them. There was always someone on reception, so if we needed anything we knew where to go - they also called up to our room upon arrival to ask if we everything was okay and if we wanted breakfast next morning, which was a bit steep at 7 euros 50, so we went out to local places every day instead which proved to be much cheaper.

Location-wise, we had no trouble finding it, the metro station being about 10 steps from the front door. Decent supermarket just around the corner and some lovely patisseries and rotisseries within 5 minutes walking distance. Special mention to the Chinese across the road from the church, whose 50 cent dumplings kept us going throughout the week!!

The only downsides? A lack of swimming pool (although in central Paris, these are rare in small hotels) and the "cosy" lift. Also in the morning there was a bit of noise from what sounded like rubbish trucks outside (every day), but that wasn't too much of a problem and acted like an alarm clock for us. Otherwise a very pleasant stay, would definitely recommend/return after a great week.

One last thing. Check out the old Apple Mac in the fridge next to the front desk. We had no idea why it was there either.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple