“Spyns Tour de France Reviews are In...Our Clients Loved the Westin”

The Westin Paris - Vendome
Ranked #476 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've worked with the Westin for years organising Spyns Tour de France packages and just had another successful stay in July 2013. Despite a few hiccups this year (discussed below), this is truly the best hotel to see the TDF finish in Paris. On the positive side, the hotel's location is excellent. Located in Paris's swank '1er arrondissement' the Westin is within walking distance of the Champs Elysees, Louvre, and Seine river. It's also situated on the Rue de Rivoli, part of the TDF racecourse. So our clients have rooms overlooking the race or they can watch from our VIP rooms. Standard rooms are always very clean with the Westin's signature big beds. I'm a bit of a bed snob and the pillows are excellent. Breakfasts for our groups are always terrific. This year we had private breakfasts in a spectacular ballroom. As for Tour de France viewing, we rent suites overlooing the racecourse and this year didn't disappoint. The rooms were perfect, despite the hot weather, and the Westin staff was always helpful with ice, clean up, table set up etc. On the "needs improvement" column, we need a better check in system. This is the second year we've been promised a check in desk which never materialized. Another issue was signage as our company name was missing from all signs but that was quickly corrected. Minor issues for what was an excellent stay for Spyns Tour de France tour.

Room Tip: I'd recommend getting a room facing Tuileries gardens and Rue de Rivoli as it has an Eiffel Towe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Westin Paris - Vendome

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel for twelve nights and yes, this hotel is a block away from the Vendome so it is centrally located and convenient to the city. It's located right by the Concorde (where Marie Antoinette and hundreds others were beheaded) and across from Tuileries Garden. It is a short five to ten minute walk to the Lourve through the Tuileries garden. Go across the gardens and across the bridge and you are in the left bank. Quaint shops brimmed with food and goods. The first department store Le Bon Marche is located there but it is a bit pricy. Le Grande Epiciere is right across the street with awesome foods and goods from all over. It's also a good pace to pickup a delicious quick take away lunch! Back to the hotel, Go up the street and past the Vendome and you are in the heart of Paris. Everything is a close walk (be prepared to walk in Paris and get in shape as almost everyone walks fast) with shopping and eating places a brisk stroll away. If you do head up the street be sure to check out the famous Printemps. Perfect for the designer fashion crowd. Hope that you have a deep wallet as high fashion does cost. Being American, our rate at the time I think it was one Euro equals to around one dollar and sixty cents. Everything was around a half more expensive! Don't trust the posted rates as only the banks get those rates. We get less...LOL! The subway station is also a block away from the hotel and is pretty easy to use. Now to the hotel. Sorry I had to get the location information out as if this review is only based only on the hotel stay, it might not be worth it. But for some the location might be worth the cost. Upon arrival, the bell person was super helpful and friendly. Nothing like a good reception. But, we had to wait past the check in time as our room was not ready. We also had breakfast included with our stay but they did not inform us about it or how to get it so we missed breakfast the first day. We figured it out the second day. The breakfast buffet (35 euros or around 50 dollars if not included in your room rate) was pretty good with a selection of pastries, breads, bacon, Scottish bangers, scrambled eggs, cereals, yogurts, juices, salads with lots of additions, Japanese miso soup, rice, salmon, teriyaki sticks and other condiments. It was pretty good but service is spotty and it is better to get your own coffee from the coffee machine on the far left of the buffet area. The exception was Jamel who gave us superb service and it showed that he enjoyed his profession. He remembered that my wife liked ice tea (which was not ordinary as most drink it hot) and would make one for her when he saw us. And he did make a good ice tea! He was always busy but always made it a point to say hello to us. Our room was OK. But you have to remember that the city is old and this Westin does look and feel old. Maybe the hotel would prefer that I call it rustic as the room was on the dark side and the furnishings were a bit rustic. To our surprise the room was pretty large though and the bed was comfortable. One of our lights was not working properly and they came to fix it the first day. The slow drain in the tub just irritated me. The drains were just very slow where after taking a shower, the bottom of the tub would be filled filled with around an inch of water and you had to wait for it to drain. The same was for the sink. Also one of the knobs for the cabinet would not stay screwed on and it is amazing that they don't fix it as I am sure that the maids see it. We also had a stay at a hotel at the La Defense section of the city and it was totally the opposite with modern furnishings so we got to see both ends of the spectrum in Paris. I just want to mention that the Westin has this person (maybe doorman) that stands at the entrance of the hotel and not once during our twelve night stay did he acknowledge us. I did see him acknowledging others but he ignored us. I know that he is from the hotel and by not acknowledging us it did not make me feel welcomed. Being from Hawaii we tend to be friendly but for a hotel staff to ignore, did not make me feel welcome especially when we were spending almost $6000 dollars for our stay. Stay here for location but one night equaled four nights at our other hotel in La Defense. Also the hotel in La Defense was right in the 4temps mall with the subway station right there! The only thing is that you would have to take the subway for a short fifteen minute ride to get to the city. Might be worth it for nice, modern accommodations and a bit nicer staff!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guykazoo
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our room was lovely, but cold. We called twice to have it fixed - no 'maintenance' person ever came by. I don't think it could be fixed.. older hotel. I wish they had just been honest about that. We did have an extra down comforter, though.

Weird lobby. A big atrium that was always empty because it was exposed to the outside air. Very chilly. Noticed that they had electric heaters placed on the edges and rolled up blankets!

Proximity was good to shopping and restaurants. Le Castigilione Cafe is great!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with decent heating if one exists.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Everything from check in to check out was a breeze. Service was excellent and the room was fantastic with a little balcony! I was surprised that the room was huge and with a small balcony. Amenities were sufficient and bed was cozy. Breakfast choice was excellent with Asian food choices too. Location is ideal as it is near the louvre, Tuileries, Place Vendome, shopping areas! Will be back again next year! Thank you for a memorable stay!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Peipei19
Reviewed 10 October 2013

hi,stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, staff were very helpful when booking activities in paris the room was quiet, little bit on the darkish side but good to sleep.breakfast was very nice daily the waitress very friendly with a smile for us.my only gripe would be no coffee or tea facilities in the foyer after a long day would be nice to be able to have a drink and access it in the lobby.other than that a pleasant stay close to all the attractions.and very limited internet.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

As part of planning a group trip to Normandy & Paris, we selected this property due to the location. We had a group of 90 guests and everyone of the them was delighted with the property and the convenience. We had a lot of schedule activity and the 2 buses were able to park right in front of the property which made it easy and quick for loading and unloading.
We included breakfast daily for the guests and the variety of foods offered was amazing. Both typical European and American fare. The coffee was delicious!
The Junior Suite is quite large for a European hotel with lots of closet space. The price wasn't bad considering it was peak season. Staff at the front desk was friendly, spoke great English and accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had a very bad experience during our check in. The receptionist was not helpful at all. Even after I let her know that I am a gold member - she never explained to me how I can use free in-room internet service and never tried to upgrade my room to an enhanced room. This was the worst experience and the westin paris just ruined my first trip to paris. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank WonyS
Julien K, Directeur général at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Wony S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Westin Paris-Vendôme.

I read carefully your comments and I sincerely regret your disappointing experience at check in and the lack of service you feel that you have received from our associate. Please allow me to follow up on this important issue. To do so, I would like to talk to you personally, so if you would be so kind to write an e-mail to my personal assistant stephanie.leboulanger@westin.com and tell me how I can contact you, it will be my pleasure to return your message with a personal call or e-mail.

With my Best Regards,