“Good deal.”

Libertel Canal Saint-Martin
Ranked #416 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The rack rate on the door for our room was 160 euros. The rooms are miniscule, the carpeting does not bear close inspection, and the shower stall is tiny enough that persons of a more rotund physique should think twice before attempting entry. If we'd paid the rack rate we'd have been beating ourselves up about it, but for 49 euros through Booking it was a deal. The beds were comfortable, there was a lift, rooms were reasonably clean, and the staff spoke English.
Walking distance from both Gare du Nord and Gare de l'Est it is about half a block from the canal. There are two metro stops in the area and even in August there were several cafes and bars open nearby. This is at least my fourth trip to Paris and I'd never been in this lively little area. It was a pleasant surprise for our last night in the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rena B

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I come to Paris all the time and wanted a different hotel in the Canal Saint Martin area.. I chose the wrong one. My bad. Busy street, no canal in sight.. having emailed requesting a quiet room and receiving a reply in affirmation, I was given a room right next to a lift.. so close that the pillow was maybe three metres from the lift doors. When I requested another tiny room I was given one on the 7th floor; when I opened the window to check the view there was plastic sheeting over the windows. Scaffolding right around the building. I do think if one is booking into a hotel with construction/refurbishment/whatever going on then management has a responsibility to let you know. Then I tried to get WIFi and that was down; fixed later, which reception let me know about. Next morning a friend came to collect me and we grabbed a juice and a croissant in the breakfast room, only to be told by the very aggressive female receptionist that I would be charged for two breakfasts, which seemed a bit unnecessary given the room wrangles. Needless to say won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have never been to Paris before and I chose this hotel for the price and the reviews. The room is small, tv, desk, kettle. No safe or fridge - but you can rent a safe for 4euro. The room did have a slight smell to it - maybe musty? The shower has no screen so you have to wash on an angle otherwise you flood the bathroom. The receptionists speak English and helped me out when I needed to find an internet cafe. There are many places on the surrounding streets to eat but everything is in French and many don't speak English. A Monoprix supermarket 50m left. We has a front room on the 4th floor and you can hear the train go by as well as cars, people, dogs barking, etc. It was very loud during the day and noisy during the night. We went to see the Moulin Rouge via the metro - very close, easy and safe but our sleep in was interrupted by trucks at 6 and then a jackhammer at 7.30. The street seems to be having a major renovation. Maybe request a back room if you stay here.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed here in the 19th arrondissement for just one night with my partner. The bed was comfy, and it was clean; the staff are professional, if a little cool, and it is quite a smart place, ideal for business users perhaps. BUT! you cannot pass each other at the foot of the bed! When moving between bathroom and Wc, for example, one of you will end up crawling over the bed. This made us feel really quite cramped and it was hard to relax. Everything was small - the bathroom, the wc, the wardrobe, the desk, .... just no space to stretch out. We had just moved from a hotel in Montmartre, which was much more spacious, so we really felt the difference. On the plus side, the canal area was interesting, with its 19th C industrial architecture - a new take on Paris, for me. And the hotel is right next to the Metro. So a mixed bag .. it depends on your need for space. It would be really nice for one person, possibly.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor courtyard room. It wasn't too bad, although people/men passing along the p...
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 14 September 2013

If you're looking for a comfortable, modern, value for money hotel that's well located then Libertel Canal st Martin is perfect. A friend and I (mid twenty females) stayed here for 3 nights in August and were very pleasantly surprised by it. For a two star, budget, Parisian hotel I was expecting it to be a bit pokey and in need to updating, well our Parisian Paris room was much better than this - not luxurious of course, the rooms are small but not as small as I was expecting they're a perfectly comfortable size with good shelving and hanging space, with a small but modern bathroom with hairdryer and small toiletries. The best thing about the room - the bed, it was so comfy my friend and i were not looking forward to getting back to our own! I would liken the rooms to a UK Travelodge - nothing special but just what you need. Our room had a balcony on the seventh floor - which was nice to be able to step out for a bit and we had a view of the Sacre Coeur! Which at night looked amazing.

Location - great for us, of course it's always lovely to be in the center districts 1-5 but our budget wouldn't go anywhere near that. For us the location was a great compromise between price and convenience. The Jaures Metro station is 1 min walk away. We did a lot of walking around Paris where possible (best way to discover a city) and from our hotel we could walk to Notre Dame and the Sacre Coeur.

Baggage - I saw a previous reviewer saying the hotel didn't have a secure place for baggage - we didn't check about this - instead we used the baggage lockers at Gare du Nord - ignore the reviews all over the Internet about this service and hour long queues - this may have been the case some years ago but when we went (12pm and 5pm) there were no queues atall we were in an out in minutes.

Last thing - Highly recommend the Montmarte area for dinner - the streets around the corner from Moulin Rouge are packed with bustling traditional French cafe's for an authentic evening out.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Good hotel with an excellent value for money. My room was little, with windows on hotel coutyard and clean. Minimalist french bathroom in the room without bidet and windows. Bed was very confortable. Only negative aspect was room smell: cheese or food? The hotel at only 50 meters from Juares metro station. Hotel zone is very busy until night. Near hotel there are a lot of fast food, boulangerie and a market.

1  Thank Turista24Ore
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Traveled last minute to Paris over last year holiday and managed to find this room. It was a bit compact but it was clean. Near the metro. Great pastry next door and fruit markets/grocery up the street. This hotel is great for singles or doubles who are seeing the sites and using the room for sleep/shower. I traveled with my daughter and the room was just right.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family