“Great base for exploring”

Hotel Nord et Champagne
Ranked #1,472 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Great base for exploring”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having read some of the reviews written about this hotel, we set off with a certain amount of trepidation about our stay here. We shouldn't have worried. The place was very clean and was kept that way on a daily basis.

As a base for exploring Paris it couldn't have been better. A leisurely stroll to Montmartre in 30 mins (could easily have been quicker), close to le Gare du Nord and the Metro. Just round the corner from the Gare de l'Est and the open bus tour. Do not buy your tickets from the shop adjacent to the stop. He'll sell you a ticket for 41€ which is only valid for the BatoParisienne. Luckily we were able to blag it on the buses!

There are some brilliant eating houses towards the Arch at St.Denis and the restaurant next to the hotel (looks kind of seedy from the outside) is well worth a visit.

Breakfast at the hotel is very basic. The patrons/owners are extremely pleasant and informative and the staff are always helpful and pleasant.

The only downfall is the noise from the African bar down the street and the constant traffic noise. Our room was facing the market and we had many sleepless nights but our friends room was at the back and they didn't hear any noise. Insist on a back room! The views might not be good but, at the end of the day, it's purely a base.

Finally, I should add that some of the reviews are quite old and the pictures of the hotel seem dated because both ours and our friends' rooms have been completely redecorated.

Room Tip: Go in July and August. There are some good deals to be had. (Most Parisiennes leave town for the cou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mushtie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

2 min by walk from the station (Eurostar stop). Good connection with all atraction. We like to walk and we did it. Everything in the room was clean and functional. The breakfast was very reasonable - it's continental style, with plenty of everything. All told I can happily recommend this hotel as a place to crash when you want to keep costs to a minimum in Paris.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ewelinaf2
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The positives of Nord et Champagne hotel is its proximity to Gare du Nord station and thats it. Rest the hotel is below average in all parametrs including cleanliness, security, service, courtesy. The rooms are too small, doors dont bolt from inside ( atleast he one i got) and there is constant fear of someone trespassing. Its also not a safe location to venture out in night.I would suggest to put bit more out of your pocket and stay at a descent hotel then this for truely enjoying the spirit and glory of Paris. If you are there for a short stay and tight budget and you just want a place to put your luggage in this might work.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nawab23

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

When I pay top dollar and stay in good quality hotels I expect good service in nice surroundings and I must not compare that to my one night stay at the hotel. To be honest I stayed here because it was cheap and was near the Gare du Nord station ( short easy walk) . Not the best entrance but not unsafe and the welcome check in was efficient and no problems. Lift was small and the room basic. Basic but clean and ok for a short stay. I could here toilets and running water from neighbouring rooms but you can in lots of hotels. I did not have breakfast . In short it is a clean basic hotel not a hostel as the people I saw in reception etc we're all respectable looking and middle aged ! All in all it's a bed for the night in Central Paris and very good value - romantic break no -the wife would kill me :)

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David F
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Really nothing good about this hotel. Poor location, bad neighbourhood, terrible customer service (aside from the language barrier), felt unsafe, terrible room, and awful bathroom. Basically, just nothing good about it, besides maybe a decent price. Not worth it! Stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: No such thing!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Chelsey G
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel just one night in the weekend.
This hotel is located quite good and you can walk directly from gare du nord and gare de l'est to this hotel. Nevertheless the street is a slum with mess everywhere.

When I arrived and had my check in the receptionist was only busy with his phone calling all kind of people but had only little attention to me. Only that the payment machine was broken and I had to pay cash, he would prefer this immediately but I insisted to pay after my stay.

The first room given to me was occupied by someone else. No one noticed and all their belongings were in this room. Like money, clothes, shopping bags.

The second room was fine, the hotel is quite cheap but it was clean. It was good for just one night.

According my booking confirmation the hotel would have a 24h reception, nevertheless when I left at abt 9pm. I was told they would close at 2am and there is no way I could come in after that time. There is only little I could do on that moment and I was even more dissatisfied with the staff of this hotel.

When I checked out my train would only go later that evening. I could store my belongings at their bagage room. When I came back to collect my belongings people had ruined my vase I bought. When I asked the same guy on the reception he was totally surprised but was just standing there for minutes doing nothing, I would expect at least some apologies. But most frightening is that he was totally not aware what was happening with people's bagage.

I gave him my telephone number to let him/or the responsible person give me a call back. It never happened. Only after three emails and two calls I had the response they are not responsible.

I would not go back there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Dutch_Travelerr
Boston
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Spacious room with a private bath. However, they had bed bugs that kept biting me. One of the Bangladeshi man at the front desk was very rude. Location feels not safe and is very loud. I advise using public transportation in Paris (which runs fairly late) and staying in a nicer neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo