“Excellent location- rooms very small but clean”

Hotel Standard Design
Ranked #576 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 1 July 2009

This small hotel is in the Bastille area, and located in a very "live" area, many restaurants, pubs etc. It is also close to the metro.
The rooms are very small, so far these were the smallest rooms we ever stayed. We had some bad experiences with the bathroom, which over flood.
The room has i-pod connection and free wi-fi.
Dislike the fact that it was very noisy, you could hear everything around you and every time someone would close a door, we would wake up... anyhow the location of the hotel and price are good.
No recommended for people that need silence to sleep or during the day. It is a party hotel, so very suited for young people.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank MoonlightRide

Reviewed 10 June 2009

This funky, little hotel is tucked away in a side street of the lively Bastille neighborhood and is also walking distance to the Marais. It's a great option for someone traveling on a low to moderate budget, especially if you're a woman traveling alone or with other female companions. Beware that the old building isn't very noise-proof. Below is a more detailed review:

LOCATION: The main reason why i chose this hotel was its proximity to the Bastille, Marais, and Oberkampf neighborhoods. These are great pedestrian neighborhoods for shopping, nightlife, and eating that aren't too touristy. It's only a few blocks from the Bastille metro which has access to several lines, including the one that goes through to the Louvre and Tuileries. This also makes it accessible from taking the RER from the airport. The hotel is also very close to some supermarkets and bakeries which are great, affordable places to grab breakfast and snacks.

ROOM: My room was very small, but clean, comfortable and modern. The room was designed with limited real estate in mind and had great space-saving solutions. I had a flat screen TV with cable, phone, small desk area and even a stereo/speak unit for my ipod. As a woman traveling solo, I felt very safe. The only down-side to being in the middle of a lively area is that sometime you can hear a little street noise like construction or church bells. The building is old and walls a little thin, so I often heard my neighbors slamming doors. It could pose a problem if you're a very light sleeper.

SERVICE: Service was excellent. The front desk was super helpful and friendly. They had maps and brochures and were happy to give recommendations for seeing the city. Since I arrived early in the morning and check-in wasn't until the afternoon, they allowed me to leave my luggage with them while I explored Paris. All staff members seemed to know each other and get along great

FACILITY: The hotel is housed in an old building on a side street of the Bastille, but is very well kept and is decorated in a bold and funky style. The lobby has a computer with free internet access. I believe there's a small restaurant that serves breakfast for around $12 USD (I recommend grabbing breakfast at a nearby bakery or Monoprix). The hotel does have an elevator, but in typical European fashion, is very small.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2009

My stay here was absolutely perfect. The rooms are very small, but clean, comfortable and located in a great part of town. Very easy access to all the major lines of the metro, in a vibrant part of town with many restaurants and bars. The staff was very helpful in all respects. While I think this hotel is fantastic for one or two people, it may not be good for families or those wanting to sleep in -- there's a church near by that starts ringing its bells at 8:00 AM, so sleeping in is a bit tough, but who needs to sleep when you're in Paris? Skip the hotel continental breakfast and visit a nearby cafe instead. The free internet is also very good -- you can even use Skype over it. I'd stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Terrific place. Spent 3 nights here (7-10 May 2009) with my wife. Small room on level 3. But clean, comfortable and quite stylish. Super service from the front desk (helped us find places + even lent us guidebooks etc.). La Bastille is a great neighborhood. Nice bistros, restaurants and cafés. A bit arty and not to crowded. If you like Kreutzberg in Berlin, you´ll like it here. A short walk from Le Marais. In short - a highly recommended place. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights with friends. We arrived at 10pm at night after travelling from the airport via RER and metro. We landed at Bastille metro and it took approx. 10 mins with cases etc to reach the hotel. We could not find the hotel at first as the sign for it is only small and it is nestled in between a bistro and shop. Location wise this hotel is perfect, close to metro stations, minimarket, tobacco shop, restaurants, bistros, cafes, little boutiques (quite a few vintage clothes shops selling Prada, Channel etc.- if your'e into that sort of thing), high street chains. The nightlife around the Bastille area is great with something for everyone and is not overly expensive (Paris is not cheap!!), so you can dance the night away and within minutes your home! The hotel staff are not the best we have encountered, they weren't very cheerful and didn't deal with problems promptly. The reception staff all spoke English, so don't worry if your French is not that good. The hotel itself is small, the small lounge area in reception has uncomfortable seats and the reading material available is all in French. All areas of the hotel were clean and contemporary. Our room was on the small side with no hanging space for clothes other than a tiny cupboard. The bed was very comfortable and we had a flat screen TV in the room, a docking unit for Ipods and WI FI. The bathroom was an okay size, very clean and modern, the shower was huge and was very powerful with plenty of hot water. Complimentary toiletries were provided but only shower gel & body lotion (no shampoo or conditioner). The downside was the noise outside the hotel. There is a church at the end of the street that rings bells on the hour and half hour from early in the morning. I am a heavy sleeper and they woke me up! in addition there seemed to be a french gentleman who persisted in shouting in the street every morning (I think he worked in one of the Cafes on the street) and there was also an awful lot of car horn honking at all hours (must be a French thing). we didn't try the breakfast as I always think eating out of hotels is a cheaper and better value option, so can't comment on that one. To summarize, I think if you want a leisurely trip to Paris sightseeing, experiencing the food and nightlife then this hotel is a good choice. If you are on business or with children, do not like noise or are going to be spending a lot of time in your hotel this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My partner and i visited Paris last weekend and thought Le Standard Hotel was great. It was in a fab part of Paris, Bastille has some really lovely restaurants and also a very good nightlife. The hotel decor is very modern it reminded us of ikea, but in a good way. Very clean and tidy and room was cleaned daily. The rooms arn't massive but to be honest it was fine for 2, and how long do you really stay in your room...! The man at reception who booked us in was very freindly and welcoming. I think the only negative thing was the shower tray isn't very deep so you do get a spillage of water onto the bathroom floor, but we just stuck a towel down and it was fine. So no big deal really. Oh and the lift only accomodates 2 people. Your only 5 mins walk from Metro, but i would advise to try and walk everywhere as you miss so much otherwise. I would definately recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2008

I booked 1 night at the Standard Design Hotel over the telephone 1 month prior to my stay. On the day, I arrived at the hotel early so my room was not ready. However, staff were accommodating and advised me to leave my baggage with them and start exploring the Bastille area while they arranged a room. After surfing the net in the lobby free of charge and then going for a wander, I was checked into Room 307 when I returned, before the agreed check-in time, much to my delight.

Jet-lag could have affected my perception, but I found the room to be practically sound-proof, the only noise barely audible being chairs moving on wooden floor-boards above me, in what I suspect to have been the dining room. All facilities and appliances in the room were clean and in good working order. The hotel photos are accurate representations of the rooms. I found the room to be quite large, however, I was traveling alone and am a petite female of 5 feet in height. I felt relatively safe at this hotel, and the surrounding neighborhood, even in the evening.

After discovering that this was my first day in Paris, the front desk recommended restaurants, super-markets and news-agents to me, providing detailed directions to their whereabouts in fluent English. They even managed to change a reservation on my behalf at a restaurant I had tried in vain to contact daily for 2 weeks prior to my arrival at this hotel (this Ducasse restaurant seems to ignore incoming phone calls).

The only possible negative issue that I can remember (for arachnophobes, not me personally) is finding a daddy-long-legs near my room window. This did not bother me in the slightest as they are harmless.

Check-out was as easy as check-in. This is an excellent hotel in terms of location and room rate, and I would not hesitate to stay here again in future. I tried to book a room again after returning to Paris from Lyon a week later, but this hotel was (not surprisingly) fully booked. I am already beginning to plan my next stay here.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)