“Worst Hotel Ever!”

Ranked #1,243 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Belfast
“Worst Hotel Ever!”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I booked this hotel by accident meaning to book another one that has the same name. As soon as I read the reviews on Tripadvisor my heart sank. Unfortunately the company I had booked with would not let me cancel the booking & had already taken the full payment.
We have been to Paris many times & I know you don't get much for your money there but this is without doubt the worst hotel we have ever stayed in!
When we arrived to check in the grumpy receptionist didn't even lift his head to look at us never mind greet us. The hotel has a tiny lift to the 5th floor & then you have to walk the rest of the way up a dark, dingy, musty stairwell. The corridor was full of dirty linen bags which you have to step over to get to your room.
The room itself stank of bleach which we later found out was to mask the smell of the bathroom which smelt of blocked drains. The shower was tiny with mouldy tiles & ancient plumbing & water leaked all over the floor every time you had a shower. The bathroom door kept sticking & then hit the bed when you opened it. The room itself was poorly furnished with only one bedside table & a 'makeshift' wardrobe, bench & chair. There is also only one plug socket in the room. The lack of air conditioning meant we had to sleep with the window open & the street below was very noisy as there are a lot of bars & restaurants in the area. Our poor nights sleep continued with the flat pillows & despite asking for extra pillows every single day they never appeared. There is also no information about the hotel or area in the room.
The reason I am even giving this place a 1 is for the nice area which is close to several Metro stations & Bastille & has some very nice little bistros in the area.
We definitely won't be back & I have learned a valuable lesson to double check the hotel name & address before I book!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Diane C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Cheap and cheerful. Staff is very nice, helpful with restaurant recommendations and directions. Good location, near several Metros.
This hotel has the smallest elevator in the world, large enough for three people and a backpack. If this is an issue, you have been warned.
My room was simple, on the 6th floor, with a nice view and lots of light. It was a little loud, but that does not bother me. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was awkwardly constructed & not pleasant to maneuver in. All in all, fine, but not fantastic.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Scotland, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and upon check in were upgraded to a lovely 'Arts' room on a corner view with 2 windows.

Bathroom small but well equipped with all toiletries and raindrops shower with also a very powerful hand held hose.

Bed was lovely and comfy and flat screen tv also in room.

We did not take breakfast so cannot comment.

On check out of the hotel we were invited to a private function taking place to celebrate the refurb of the hotel. This was a great touch and one which you would never get from a major 'chain' hotel. Thanks to the Manager!

Hotel is in a great location in 11eme and only a few mins walk to Charonne metro on line 9. If you want to walk to Bastille, this takes about 10-15 mins stroll past plenty of bars and places to eat.

If I come to Paris again, I would book this hotel without any question.

Room Tip: Ask for room 102 overlooking the 2 streets.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank James2007
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Booked for 3 nights over Easter weekend - we were surprised at the price but the reviews looked okay and the pictures were too. The hotel is located in a very good location - a few minutes walk to Bastille and the local metro. We managed to walk pretty much everywhere and not use the metro as much. The hotel itself is very basic (the room we had, had a bed, bathroom, table and a hanging space) but you get what you pay for! They did have maids everyday that came and cleaned and gave fresh towels. The breakfast was 6.95 extra but we didn't have it as there seemed to be cheaper alternatives around! All in all I would return and recommend this hotel for a short break away on a budget.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aabb92
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

Nice little hotel in a good spot close to the metro. Used the metro to get around so location was ideal for us. Some nice little restaurants and patisseries around authentic French not happy with the bathroom too small and shower was not clean was mouldy. Didn't have the breakfast thought it was too expensive. Overall not too bad

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This is a small, clean and well-run hotel. I was only there overnight, arriving at 23:00 and leaving at 07:00 the next day. I might not want to stay there for several days, but as an overnight stop it was perfect. My room was very small, especially the shower room/toilet, but it was clean and well maintained. I had arrived on the Eurostar and left Paris from Gare d'Austerlitz, and for this the location was near perfect (note that if you take the Metro from the nearest station - Charonne - I saw no ticket machines). I would definitely stay at this hotel if making the same trip in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Graham H
Italy
Reviewed 27 December 2012

The place is actually nice and very cheap, expecially for such a location. The hotel is small, essential, and with all the basic facilities you need. Nice small toilets, confortable beds and flat screen. Location is excellent, few minutes walking to Bastille and all the nice cafès around. I was there for work, and I could walk to the hotel de ville. Only negative point: the room was a little bit noisy. I could hear my neighbors coming back home at night, walking and talking. But yet, if you get nice neighbors then it is perfect. I didn't try the breakfast, which is generally Paris prices. Booking online is more convenient. The personnel at the desk is nice, and responsive. But also very descreete.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business