“Just lovely”

Novotel Paris Centre Gare Montparnasse
Ranked #438 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 23 May 2009

We stayed in this hotel during our Spring Break and very happy with it. From the previous review, we learned that we had to walk a long tunnel with stairs in the Montparnasse station. And we thought it wouldn't be a good idea with suitcases, stroller and kids. That's the reason why we chose to use taxi instead of RER. Round trips taxi to the hotel from the airport cost us 109 euro. Apart from that, we always used metro everywhere. And it's very convenient because the metro station is just around the corner. To exit Montparnasse station to the hotel, take Port Oceano direction, then follow Montparnasse 3 Vaugirard. And the hotel is just on your left.
The room itself was spotless clean. It had a king size bed and a double sofa bed, a small bathroom with shower and bath tub, and a separate toilet. The hotel also provided a small refrigerator for us to keep our food fresh, a bottle of Evian daily, teas and coffees. One thing that I thought very smart was the plastic cups. Instead of providing ceramics cups, they provided us plastic cups and plastic spoons ( all wrapped in sealed plastic bags ) for our teas and coffees. I like it a lot. Because, with that I dont have to worry if the housekeeping ladies clean our cups properly or not. They changed the used cups and spoons, and replaced it with new ones.
The environment around the hotel was also very nice and friendly. A lot of restaurants, cafes, atms and a supermarket. Overall, I think this is really a nice hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank jus_rub
Write a ReviewReviews (1,885)

Reviewed 5 May 2009

I stayed at Novotel Paris Gare Montparnasse with my husband and our 3 year old on Friday, April 24 until Sunday, April 26, 2009. On the hotel’s website, got a great weekend rate of 125 Euros a night including breakfast buffet and a late checkout on Sunday.

The room was just like the pictures shown on the hotel’s website. The room was very clean. The carpet was stained in the entryway to the room and there was a little mold in the shower, but the room really was clean and the bed and sofa bed were very comfortable. The toilet was in its own small room. In the bathroom, there was a sink, a shower and a separate bath tub.

There were 2 or 3 pay for view children’s movies available on television. On regular televison, there were 3 or 4 children’s channels, mainly in French. The sofa bed was almost as big as the regular bed I shared with my husband, perfect for 2 children. We all slept great and never heard any noises from outside our room.

Before a long day of sightseeing with a 3 year old, it was important for us to start the morning off with breakfast without having to leave the hotel. The buffet breakfast included in our room rate was good and our picky 3 year old enjoyed it.

We arrived in Paris by train at the Gare de L’est station. Took the line 4 metro to Montparnasse Bienvenue station. Before our trip, I got the directions to take the back exit in the metro station to our hotel. It was a mistake to do on our first day. When cutting through the large metro station there are many stairs and it is quite a hike with a small child, travel stroller and luggage. I recommend following the exit signs and then find the way to the hotel at street level and enjoy seeing some of the Montparnasse area as you walk to the hotel. Also metro line 6 Pasteur station was nearby. Enjoyed line 6 because it is elevated, so you are outside instead of underground most of the time. Line 6 will also take you to the Eiffel tower. We used the metro a lot during our weekend trip, it was easy to use. Be aware that I didn’t see an elevator at many of the metro stations.

The hotel was perfect for our needs for our first trip to Paris. We will definitely consider staying here again. We also really enjoyed the Montparnasse area and there was a large selection of restaurants near and on the Boulevard du Montparnasse.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank MAE05
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Stayed here for two nights in mid March '09 & I have to say that this hotel is a little gem, the staff were fantastic in every way, they also gave our two kids a soft toy each when we were checking in which was a nice touch, a perfect location for exploring the beautiful but very expensive city of Paris & we would certainly reccomend this hotel

1  Thank olivernone
Reviewed 19 March 2009

We've been there with my wife and our two daughters for three nights. As soon as we arrived they gave to our daughters two nice dolls, and they gave us immediately our room (a problem with the cards that are used to operate the elevator and open the room door was solved immediately). There was a security guard all the time inside the hotel. the room was very clean and nice. It had a seperate toilet and bathroom, and the bathroom had both a bathtab and a shower, also equipment for coffee and tea, safe and refrigirator with a free bottle of water everyday (which cost 3 euros in Paris).
The breakfast was nice but it costed 16,00 euro per adult while for the kids it is free (if at least one adult pay for breakfast).
The location of the hotel is great. The area is silent and nice. The metro stations are 5 minutes walk far (Pasteur and Montparnasse Bienvenue), while right behind the back door of the hotel you get the train (sncf) to Versailles.
In the area you will find brasseiries, pizza, supermarket (5 minutes away). If you can walk, tour eiffel is about 20 minutes walk.
The people in the hotel booked for us a taxi which took us to Orly airport, at 4:00am and costed 35,00euro.
In general this is a hotel which gave us a sensation of luxury, it was safe, in a nice area, suitable for all needs.

2  Thank Paschalis
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed at Novotel Montparnasse in part based on other reviewers that commented that hotel was good for kids. I concur with that assessment. The staff was extremely helpful on a number of fronts including helping us locate kid friendly items we needed for our stay.

Like most Novotels that property has a very modern and clean feel to it. The rooms while a little small by US standards are decent sized for the continent. Our stay was a short so one room sufficed. A longer stay might require two rooms for a family of four.
good.

The neighborhood around the hotel is quiet but there are plenty of restaurants towards Montparnasse train station (around 10 - 15 minute walk) and a few cozy neighborhood restaurants towards Pasteur Metro stop.

This is probably not the hotel for you if you want to be in the hussle and bustle of Paris, but it is nice with friendly and helpful staff, as well as conveniently located to a decent selection of restaurants and transportation options to explore the city.
great for family

1  Thank Int_Bus_Travel
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I stayed four nights in this hotel.

I made the reservation by internet, and used the rate Early Breaks (with breakfest included). Payment immediate on internet with my Credit Card.

A hotel Employee, reported that only two nights was paid. And the other two were not paid, and I have to complete the payment.

But I made full payment of the four day advance on my credit card.

They have not located my payments, and insisted that I had not made the payment, or a problem with my credit card.

Luckily, I had in hand the bill of my credit card payments which were all demonstrated, and showed the hotel employee.
He made a copy of the document and sent for review, and later then announced that I was actually right, that everything was paid.

It was very embarrassing, and I was embarrassed about the situation.

Also, every day, the key to the door (Door Card Key) not working. I had to come back to reception validate the card again. It was very uncomfortable. Every day.

I never come back to this hotel again. Never more.

The hotel is great, but these events make me stay away this hotel.

About Novotel Montparnasse:

The charge is resonable with the hotel.

Breakfast is very good and generous, but cost is high.

Parking is inside the Hotel. Very Safe.

Nice location, residential area, but metro is not much close from hotel. Have a Pasteur Station and Gare Montparnasse Station. Short walk.

Very good cleaning of the room.

Staff speak English fluently.

If I had not any problems, it would be a very good.
I will look for another hotel the same level next time.

I tried to separate my comments about the hotel, and about my stay. I tried to be impartial.

The Hotel is great, but I don't recommend.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rankfussa
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Very friendly staff at reception who spoke English but were appreciative of our school style French. The room was lovely and clean and spacious with a view of the eiffel tower in the distance. Breakfast was a self service buffet and the continental was the better choice. Eat as much as you like, fresh croissants and pastries, yoghurts and fresh fruits. Excellent. There is a small restaurant at the hotel but we did not use it, opting for the paris cafe scene instead. We stayed on Valentines day, and the hotel left a complementary rose on the bed. A nice touch. All staff were helpful and polite. Quiet location despite being in City Centre, and convenient for the Metro.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple