“Extremely unsufficient”

Hotel La Vieille France
Ranked #1,662 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 16 February 2012

It was a very bad hotel. Very cold rooms with too small heating. I booked a non smoker room and got a smoker room.
The douches were cold! When you have chosen the warm water the douches stopped to run!
The elevator stocked and the employees bahavior was ignorant.
Very complicated process of paying and partwise very unfriendly, apathetically and stressed employees.
Concluding I must say, that this hotel is not advisable!!!
The only positive point was the good RER-connection to the city.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed in this hotel in late September, 2011. The location was reasonably close to city attractions. The area was filthy with paper and cigarette butts all over the streets and a strong stench of urine in the area, in fact the urine was all over Paris (disgusting). It smells as if people pee on every wall over night, spoils the feel of Paris for us. Our room was very basic, the sheets clean but blankets and bed spread not so sure. Blanket very old and tatty with stains. No proper pillows, just a roll put under your bottom sheet - was ok for sleeping though. Bathroom clean but so small you could hardly sit on the toilet. Shower curtain would not stay in the base so water went all over the floor. No tea and coffee facilities in room. We were allowed to fill a thermos for our coffee needs. Room is fairly dated, stale smelling as if the carpets are dirty. Bed was comfortable and not old. Window opened onto extremely noisy street until early hours you could not leave it open. No fan or air conditioning so got quite hot in the night. We paid around 105 Euros per night for a twin room and would definitely not pay any more than this, you would be better putting a bit extra in and getting a little more comfort. You really did not feel as if you could come home from a busy day and relax as there was nothing but the bed to relax on and without pillows to put behind you it was impossible - also the bed would just roll out from the wall. Internet was quite good wifi so that was a positive for us using our computer for booking onward journeys and keeping in touch with family. If you can't afford anything else it will do the job but I would prefer a little more than this for my Paris stay.

Room Tip: Try to get away from busy street
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DianeNSW
Reviewed 13 November 2009

Was near gare du nord , I had an overbooking in another hotel , so I looked for another one , Find this one, a guy told me only a triple room was free , and that I could get it for 100 euros.
At 2.00 in the night I say yes , I pay and go in the room. I find WINDOW OPENED , the room was freezing and the heating was NOT WORKING!!! I go downstairs , the guy says they were doing manteinance!!! AFTER PAYING the room , at 2.00 in the night , I was told there was NO HEATING IN OCTOBER in the room. I had to put 3 covers (from the other beds) to pass the night.... don't go there.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank carlitocarlito
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I chose this hotel due to its close proximity to the Gare du Nord. I paid for a standard room upon arrival and was told it would be basic. My stay was not enjoyable. The room got very hot during the night and I was unable to have the windows open due to needing to have the curtain drawn (which caused the window to shut). The carpet was covered in crumbs and looked like it hadn't been hoovered in weeks, at best. When I woke up due to extreme heat, I turned the light on to find cockroaches on the floor...the light remained on for the rest of the night to keep them in the shadows. It felt good to leave.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank holidayswehey
Reviewed 11 March 2008

I am a repeat customer at this hotel. The staff is always very friendly and attentive, the rooms are always clean and tidy, and the overall experience is pleseant. It's a great base of operations to sightsee in Paris! This hotel will always have my buisness.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 21 January 2008

Just turned up looking for a single room, was upgraded to a double as part of an offer. Hotel is in need of refurbishment but is cheap and handy for the station. I didn't have breakfast there as there was a nice bakery a few yards away on the corner. Staff always pleasant and polite.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 November 2006

The bedside light didn't work, the shower fixture was broken, the toilet cistern didn't stop filling, the tv remote was inoperable, the lift had a warning with regard to use. Windows single glazed and on very busy road so unbelievably noisy.

Stayed: November 2006