“Service with a Smile”

Ranked #464 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Oahu, Hawaii
“Service with a Smile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife, baby and I just had a great stay at Grand Hotel Dore. The customer service was second to none. Many people mention "small rooms", but this is Paris...what do you expect? Complaining that the room isn't big enough is like complaining that it's cold in Winter or complaining that you don't earn enough money to stay somewhere with bigger rooms (just my opinion). We found the size of the room to be more than sufficient (and bare in mind that before our stay at GHD we had been traveling for a month with a baby, so we had huge bags and a full-size baby crib). The room was clean, had a TV, comfortable bed, mini-fridge with a complimentary water, a desk, WIFI (great signal on the 6th floor) and a good, clean bathroom. The place isn't luxurious, but for the money you are paying, GHD was great. I found the breakfast to be really good - wide selection and fresh. The location is super convenient - metro is a few steps away, grocery store (Simply) just across the street, and a ton of shops, bistros, restaurants etc in the vicinity.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Eazybeezy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

This was our second time at the Dore.

Staff are great and the Hotel is very clean and comfortable.

Good location for the Metro station and takes about 10mins to get into the center using the Metro.

Some nice local Bistros and restaurants

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank craig c
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed in Grand Hotel Doré just 1 night for business. You'll notice immediately that all the staff is smiling (not so common in Paris). The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. The bathroom has a large tub that doubles as a shower. The WiFi is a bit weak (at least in my room 426) but it worked near the door. The staff is fluent in English.
The location is convenient, a few steps from metro Daumesnil. There are shops and restaurants nearby. The breakfast includes cereals, yoghurt, bread, eggs, orange juice. The breakfast room is fairly small, so you better avoid the peak hour. There is also a separate lobby near the entrance.
Overall, I would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PYSc
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here 4 nights with my wife and also our daughter and her boyfriend. We had a great time. The hotel is well placed, very close to the metro, less than 2 minutes walk. The rooms are small but very clean. The bathroom is by comparison large, clean and well stocked. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast is plentiful and tasty. I'm old, so I liked the fact that there was an English language newspaper available at Breakfast, for the modern person there is free Wifi. The local restaurants are very good and very close. I would have no hesitation to go back and stay there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DlkStokes
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

A couple of weeks ago, I spent six nights at Grand Hotel Dore. I can vouch for the fact that the positives you read in the Trip Advisor reviews are accurate. Geraldine and the entire staff are warm and welcoming and the desk staff is excellent in English. Everyone, from housekeeping to the breakfast room staff, could not have been any more helpful and friendly.

The hotel is spotlessly clean and well located, just steps from Metro Lines 6 and 8. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is beautiful and safe, with lots of shopping options, including two nearby supermarkets and a late night (maybe all night) grocery practically across the street.

The hotel provides a list of nearby restaurants, which is helpful. One of my favorites was Picolla Italia and my least favorite, though recommended by others here, was Le Metro Brasserie (a strong cigarette odor permeates the inside of the restaurant). The wifi signal was good, though I found myself having to login frequently. I was fortunate to get a superb rate, including their good buffet breakfast, through Orbitz.

There is one thing I'd do differently on my next stay and it concerns the type of room I chose. It has been made very clear in many of the reviews here, that the rooms are quite small (the good news about this, if you like quiet, is that the hotel does not attract families with children--a big plus for me!) Having stayed in countless Parisian hotel rooms over the years, I thought I knew what to expect. That said, upon check-in, I could not have been more unprepared for just how small the room would be. My booking was for a Single Room and the room assigned to me was absolutely the most minuscule hotel room I've ever seen. It was impossible to walk around the bed (which took up pretty much most of the room) unless you walked sideways and I still have the bruises to show for it :) My traveling companion was in the Single Room above mine and there were definitely a couple of extra inches between the bed and the wall, which made traversing the room much easier. Bottom line, under no circumstances do I recommend one person occupying a single room for more than a night or two. Moreover, avoid staying in Room 102 altogether.

As my stay was for six nights, after the first night I requested to be moved to one of the slightly larger Single Rooms. Without hesitation, the staff kindly upgraded me to a Standard Double Room. This room, while still Parisian small, was absolutely fine and I was a very happy camper for the rest of mystay. In retrospect, it was my own fault for even considering a Single Room and I am most grateful to the staff for accommodating me so willingly.

I would absolutely stay in this hotel again and highly recommend it to all travelers. It feels like a home away from home in one of the greatest tourist cities in the world.

Room Tip: For stays in excess of two nights, avoid Single Rooms and avoid Room 102 at all costs. Room 216 is a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank nycbee
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed here with my partner for 5 days beginning of June for my Birthday and was really happy with this hotel.

The room and bathroom was a good size and were kept very clean. Staff were very friendly and when we arrived to early to check in they said that we could leave our luggage with them for no extra charge and go explore the area until we could check in which was nice.

There is a metro station almost directly outside of the hotel so travelling around Paris was very easy. You can get a metro ticket that will give you unlimited use for a certain amount of days I can't remember what it was called but they worked out to be a bargain! We got the one that covered zones 1-5 so we could get to Disneyland on it, but if you aren't going there you could get away with the zone 1 version which was even cheaper still.

Breakfast was very good as well, plenty of different breads and pastries to pick from.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
happymanager, Responsable réception at Grand Hotel Dore, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear customer

Thank you for the time you’ve taken to share your experience on the Grand Hotel Dore .It is always a pleasure to see that our customer enjoyed their stay. Your review is very important for us.
We hope to see you again.

Regards
Geraldine
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Me and my other half went to Paris for 4 days, had a lovely place to stay and people around were really helpful. Receptionists were on their place 24/7 and always happy to use their English skills, answer our question, recommend places to eat or buy things.
As an extra bonus we had WiFi free and so it made our planning for every day easier :)
Everyday made bed, clean room and good location to go everywhere as the Metro is nearby for a good price is an ideal combination. I would recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Customer ,

Thank you for the nice review and for your time.
We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your vacations at le Grand Hotel Dore , we do our best to satisfy our customer and your review help us to improve our work .It is thoughtful of you to call our hotel a home .

Regards Geraldine