“Good Hotel - Would Stay Again”
Review of Grand Hotel Dore

Grand Hotel Dore
Ranked #593 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Boutique Hotel on the outskirts of the main city centre. Nonetheless close to the Metro.
Small size, typical of Paris Hotels though. Booked based on tripadvisor reviews

Pros
- Included breakfast (okay selection)
- Good aircon/ventilation (made the small room size quite ok with fresh air)

Cons
- Not in the city centre - but still very accessible as it's close to the Metro station
- small, but typical of Paris though

Important stuff
- free in room wifi, decent speed and standard login process (room/last name)
- decent bathroom, hot water and good water pressure
- individual toiletries and soaps
- Would I stay again? yes

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Paul N

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Booked the hotel ( 3 adult) based on reviews and was not disappointed. The hotel is in a great location, only few stops (20 min) to any sight seeing yet in a quiet and safe location. Went out to a local restuarant just opposite the hotel every night for dinner - au metro and food was fantastic and cheap- highly recommend. The breakfast is good quality , fresh, several choices and more than enough to get you through to a late lunch or early dinner. Option to eat anytime between 7-10am meaning you don't have to rush and it is never crowed! The rooms are basic and a bit worn yet spotlessly cleaned every day with new bedding and towels and coffee and tea refilled also, the bathroom was spotless everyday and a nice touch after a long and busy day to have a pleasant shower!

This is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in even compared to 5 star hotels - what made the visit and will ensure our return is the exceptional customer service. Staff were fantastic and always warm and welcoming, asking how the day has been upon our return or offering suggestions on travel and sight seeing every morning. Nothing was too much trouble and Geraldine was a star! Much appreciated as she went above and beyond.

Would recommend without a doubt;)

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank SabrinaWelman
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Firstly, I think some will consider this hotel to be a bit out of Paris, but coming from London I actually find that idea hilarious.

Location is pretty good. It's not right in the centre, and you can't walk to it from any of Paris' attractions, but it is still definitely in the city and on the plus side it is much quieter than the usual suspects as a result, and not as grimy as many of them. The area is pretty good and safe at night. It has several metro options, a short journey to any attraction, and is by an arterial road which would provide a quick journey time by taxi if you stay out late! There are good brasseries and bars about, within walking distance if you don't want to go far. Bercy Village is a walk away.

The hotel is typical Parisan fare with major differences! The building is the usual for Paris, but the inside has been renovated to a fairly high standard and you have proper beds and amazing air con for the summer!!! As well as good bathrooms in nice condition. Of course, some practicalities still remain - small rooms, pokey dark hallways, a view of the backend of a building out back, a road out front, tiny lifts and stairways designed for tiny tiny people from olde fairytales. A stay in Paris would not be complete!

The staff were really friendly and helpful, and very security conscious at night, probably overly so, but that's good because it meant I felt secure there. The staff, and the room, were really nice to return to at night after a long day and night out in Paris! Actually felt quite at home. The bed was particularly comfortable. The bathroom would be particularly difficult to navigate if you are space dominant, but again this you will find all over Paris in these style hotels.

There are no extras to the hotel, it's a place to stay and maybe have breakfast. But it's very comfortable, clean with decent furnishings, and air con that actually works. In Paris this is illusory! It is priced slightly higher than some of its ** and *** neighbours, but you get what you pay for.

I have since recommended this place and been thanked for it by people who have subsequently stayed at the hotel. What more can you say. And in Paris no less!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back will have less to look at but less noise, rooms higher up will have less noise but...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank uncledavey80
Reviewed 26 July 2014

When we travel to Europe, our rule are, safe location, CLEAN beddings, affordable price hotel with AC! and spoil ourselves with great foods & shopping. So, room size is not important to us as we already know Paris hotels rooms are always tiny small compare to US. We travel as a family of 3 from California we stayed at Grand Hotel Dore for 10 nights in June.

If you travel alot, you encounter many experiences with different type of hotels. This one never disappoint us. I didn't expect much from a 3 stars hotel but many little things surprise me. Our room was on 5th floor in the back it was so quiet we had good night sleep everyday and the AC is super cold husband loves it! much better than other hotels that we have stayed in previous trips. The beddings are comfortable and VERY clean which is important to us and the towels are soft & fluffy! they even give you slippers too!! i didn't expect all this from a 3 star Hotel. The metro is right there by the hotel which was so helpful especially all the taxis was on strike the day we arrived.

Our days started with big breakfast buffet at the hotel. My daughter loves their croissants with honey & jambon (ham), I love their fresh fruits salads, croissants, and their apple juice! and my favorite of all the fresh boiled eggs! when i said fresh boiled, you boil yourself to your liking! they have other stuffs but I just aiming for the same things every morning. My husband & daughter keep laughing at me because every night before we go to sleep, i told them I can't wait for tomorrow breakfast! We over stuff ourselves each morning, we didn't need to have lunch at all which save us more money for great dinner in Paris.

Everyday the maids clean our room very well i can tell because we love eating French baguettes from near by supermarket only 52 cents! so naturally the bread crumbs are all over the place, I feel bad for the maids, my husband told the receptionist to tell the maids that they don't need to do anything just replace us with fresh towels. To our surprise, we came back to our room after long walk & sightseeings, the room was spotless! the beds are well made! clean and fresh! the sink, the bathtub everything spotless! Am so glad she did it because it feels so good to come home to a nice clean room aaahhhh i can still remember the happy feelings.

Two nights before our last stay, my teenage daughter just had her braces removed in the states, she has to wear retainers every night when she goes to sleep to our shocking, the plastic cup that she put her retainers in this morning was gone! I told my husband to go down stair ask the receptionist where is the trash! because I knew the maid accidentally throw it away ( i think she's new, the maid that cleans our room everyday was different one and that cup was always there at the same spot) the receptionist said all the maids went home and that she will pass this new to the manager tomorrow morning. The retainers are small and translucent so we understand she would mistakely think it's trash, braces & retainers are not popular in Europe i don't think the maid would recognize it. Anyway, we were ready to dig the trash in the morning because i believe the retainers are still in that plastic cup all we need to do is search for that cup lol. Morning came, we asked the new receptionist and she said yes she was told about the incident but the trash is already gone :(. She asked us to write a letter and the price and she will give it to the director. The next day the director told my husband that they will pay for it just send them the bill. To make long story sort, they keet their words! they paid for the replacement. Awww....my heart sunk to know how good & honest they are. We really didn't expect 3 star hotel to have this great dignity. I thought since we are tourists & they are a small hotel owner, they would just ignore our claims but they didn't! They kept their words! a very honest hotelier, a very decent one, a man of his words.

We definitely would stay at Grand Hotel Dore again. This trip, we had many pleasant surprises and we had marvelous time, because we save alot of money on the hotel, we were able to have great shopping spree and great dinners on river cruise.

Oh yes, my husband bought us 2 LV handbags and 2 Chanels and took us to our favorite restaurants on Champs Elysees. Everytime we look at the pictures, it flood back with great memories. I really hope to go back again next year and definitely looking forward to my daily breakfast at Grand Hotel Dore!

p.s there's a metro from the hotel goes straigth to Eiffel Tower, we went there almost every night just to watch the lights show and at walking distance from the hotel, there's a new trolley goes straight to Chinatown only 10 minutes ride and you can enjoy city view & asian foods and see the locals on the trolley not the tourists.

Room Tip: If quietness is most important to you than the view, choose the room in the back.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rose d
Reviewed 20 July 2014

It is a small hotel a few steps from a metro stop, so perfect for getting around. The neighborhood has a decent selection of bars and restaurants. The hotel staff is very nice and helpfull. My room was spotless and the newly renovated bathroom was perfectly clean also. I had a quiet room facing away from the street. However the room is tiny, so nothing you'd want spend more time in than necessary. It perfectly fine for an overnight stay, but I'd pick another hotel for longer stays.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Really good value hotel in a good location. Bit further out but still close to the centre. Only 10 to 15 mins on the metro to Bastille from where you can walk to lots of places or use the metro. The Metro station is 1 minute away from the hotel. Comfortable, quiet (for a city) room with good facilities. Lift is small but not a problem if you travel light. Enjoyed the stay would happily come back.

Room Tip: Rooms have air con, hairdryer, TV and kettle. Rooms are small but still reasonable however don't...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 19 July 2014

A very unpleasant experience, Arrived exhausted after a long train journey at 11pm Shown to my room by a pleasant member of staff, Showered etc, pulled back the sheets of the "made up bed" when to my horror, I found evidence of the last guest or guests!.. Short black hairs, blood stains and a lot of unidentified black debris! I was moved to an even smaller room by this time, midnight, Rooms are dated and so small you have to shuffle sideways between bed and desk.Dirty carpets battered furniture Shower cubicle so small I could not lift my arms ( I am a very petite size 10) Rumbling from the Metro or nearby trains throughout the night on all floors right up to the 4th floor. Receptionist very pleasant and apologetic blaming the sheets on the cleaning contractors they employ but would have preferred to have paid in full for a clean bed and restful nights sleep

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Hollyday520
happymanager, Directeur général at Grand Hotel Dore, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Mrs.

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with our service, however, I must restore the truth. It is true that you had an incident that happened , please note that the sheets have been changed and you did not use somebody else sheets and the problem was that the sheets have a spot ironing launderer that the maid did not see unfortunately. When you made your point at the reception that night our night watchman found you a new room for you to be comfortable and apologized for this situation and we blame our cleaning company .In the morning our font desk manager Geraldine offered not only the room but also the breakfast as a gesture. And on your departure date you seemed very satisfied of our quick response to the matter you even wrote an attestation.

Now you understand my surprise and my sadness because you did slept in a room with no problem and we put all efforts to satisfy you.

We are sorry that we did not succeed

best regards