“Comfortable and convenient, with friendly staff”

Hotel Viator - Paris Gare de Lyon
Ranked #612 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Paris, France
“Comfortable and convenient, with friendly staff”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel is a few minutes' walk from the Gare de Lyon and because of the friendliness and efficiency of the front desk staff, the welcome was very pleasant.
The room, facing the street, was well furnished, spotlessly clean and perfectly quiet when the double-glazed windows were closed. At other times there was a little street noise but rue Parrot is reasonably quiet. The bathroom was very large and rather beautiful with good quality toiletries. Incidentally, because this is an issue with some hotels, I can say that the accommodation was exactly as pictured in the hotel publicity photos. My pictures are attached.
The only slight drawback was the lack of facilities to make tea and coffee in the room; this is common in Paris hotels.
The concierge was very happy, however, to chill a bottle of champagne and lend some glasses.
Breakfast was perfectly fine - the usual pastries, confiture and coffee but also eggs and a range of cereals - not so common in many Parisian hotels.
I enjoyed my stay. It was a little more expensive than I thought it should be but very pleasant.

Room Tip: I have no idea whether all the rooms were the same but beneath my window there was a metal gutter th...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We came into the Gare de Lyon from Switzerland on the TGV, and were glad to have the Hotel Viator nearby. Creperie, stores, and other restaurants are nearby, and metro stops and other sites are easily within walking distance. The hotel staff is friendly, and happily offered tips for getting around, or fulfilling whatever needs we had. The room was nicely situated, though a little tight with the extra cot for our toddler. Everything was clean, simple, and well-priced. We will definitely keep this on our list for base-camps in Paris!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the rue Parrot. It was a little loud sometimes when the window was open...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Very easy to get to if you arrive in Paris via train to the Gare Lyon, it also is situated in the middle of many good brasseries, bistros and boulangeries. It's a little larger than most Parisian hotel rooms we have stayed in, but still small compared to North American standards.
Our room was on the street side. I had no problem sleeping through the sirens and street noise, but my husband ended up closing the windows and turning the AC on. No problem after that.
Remember that 2 star hotels do not provide Kleenex and no French hotels provide washcloths. Either plan ahead or buy what you need from the local supermarkets.....two of which are located within a minutes walk.
We did not choose the breakfast provided at the hotel. We went down to the local brasserie and enjoyed juice, coffee and croissants for just about half price.
Wifi worked well for us and the folks on the desk were very accomodating when we wanted to leave our luggage on the day of our checkout.
I would recommend this hotel to just about anyone looking for a good price on Paris hotels.

Room Tip: Our room was on the main street side and looked to be one of the larger units. Ask for a room on th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank canadiancraftsman
Moscow
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed there just 1 night, the price was one of the cheapest, but 55 euro for a room without bathroom is too much for me! The room was simple, the window overlooked the garbage, there was the sounds of love (i.e. sex) from the next room, no wifi available. Actually, it is beyond the good level, and I would not recommend it unless there is no other options.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank comnen
USA
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I stayed last year for one night at the Viator near the Gare Lyon. Nice room. A little nicer than my stays on the Left bank so similar tariff. Good value. More than just bread and coffee at breakfast. Nice refrig with yogurt and fruit. The intent of my visit was to go to the Opera Bastille. Wait until 45 minutes before the Opera and you can buy tickets from the window. Just a short walk from the Viator. Only problem is that the subway lines on this side of the Seine are much more crowded than those serving thew Left Bank.

Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank JLP_TJP
Nyon, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I think it’s important to make something clear. There are two different hotels called both “ Viator” in Paris, one must be awfully horrible, while this one, in rue Parrot, very close to gare de Lyon is a very good hotel as a two stars.
I deeply recommend it for travellers arriving by train to gare de Lyon or for a short stay in Paris.
I have been there already several times and I have always found very clean and comfortable rooms. Mostly the 204 , 304 and 404 which are relatively large rooms for Paris standard, with a large window and a nice large bathroom.
The bed is very comfortable, TV set is brand news and works well, there are many clean towels and I have not any negative remark.
The breakfast is a bit banal, but correct. I took it only once, because I usually have just a croissant and a cup of black coffee and I preferred to take it in a nearby café.
The staff is very kind and I have absolutely no complaints about anything.
I had been in three stars hotels in Paris which were much less comfortable and clean than this one.
The only problem is that rooms might be a bit noisy if one keeps windows open, because they are overlooking Rue de Lyon leading to Gare de Lyon with rather huge traffic during day and night.
The area is not too dangerous at night, anyway it’s not worse than many other areas in Paris, there is a sex shop in front of the hotel, but it doesn’t t disturb anyone actually.
It’s possible to take metro at Gare de Lyon station, only few metres away or also walk directly to place de la Bastille, which is within walking distance.
I think the negative comments (few) I read here were destined to the other Hotel Viator, not to this one, otherwise I could not understand what motived them

Room Tip: Rooms 304 and 404 are very nice and rather large
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank VioletBear
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We had a lovely long weekend in Paris and our hotel room at the Viator made it even better!

Our top floor room 606 had a large double window that allowed a decent view over the neighboring rooftops all the way to the Bastille monument. The room was cozy (as are most Paris apartments), but was equipped with a large bathroom and shower, as well as a small closet, LCD TV, desk and chair.

The staff was very helpful allowing us to use their internet connection to print several vouchers we'd forgotten. We tried the free WIFI on our mobile phone, but it didn't work and we didn't lose sleep over it. Breakfast was hearty, including pastries, baguettes, cheese, cereal, tea, yogurt and more.

The hotel is right next to Gare du Lyon, which allows for many combinations of metro and RER lines around the city. Consider taking the A and D RER lines directly to Chatelet or Etoile instead of the slower metro line 1.

Overall, a great stay and many others think the same as this hotel was completely booked two of the four nights we were there.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple