“Good value for money (but beware)”
Review of Hotel George Sand

Hotel George Sand
Ranked #742 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel charges a good price relative to other equivalent Paris hotels. The decoration of the hotel is nice and it gives the hotel a unique character. The furniture and fixtures in rooms appear new.

But beware that the rooms on the first floors suffer terribly from noise coming from the metro below. If you manage to secure a room on upper floors, this hotel is a nice choice.

It is also very accessible from anywhere in Paris!

• Stayed: March 2012
10  Thank kwanite

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I've been with my boyfriend for a holiday in Paris. We wanted to feel that movie athmosphere, and it took a while to choose the hotel. Finally, George Sand was the perfect choice. Everything from rooms to personel was incredible, although a bit small.
Very good breakfast and an old-style atmosphere. Wonderful!
It was preety easy to get from there to the center, as we've found cheap car rental in France, with some nice tips from [----------------------------]

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2011

My son and I just returned from a business trip to Paris. We stayed at the George Sands hotel. Compared to other hotels we have stayed at in the area we were very impressed. A very polite and helpful staff, clean rooms with very comfortable beds. We would have no problem going back to the George Sands on future visits.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank Jaguar9940
Reviewed 7 April 2008

I took my Girlfriend for a surprise weekend away to Paris so that I could propose and stayed in this Hotel.

Booked my flights through Air France which were very cheap when booking 4 weeks in Advance.

When we got to Charles De Gaule airport, we asked for assistance in getting to Paris by Train. At the train information desk they showed us which 2 trains we'd need, to get to within walking distance of the Hotel. So after paying 16 euros for both of us, one way, we followed our instructions and when we got off the second train, we followed the stairs up from the underground of Haussmann Saint-Lazare and had a short 5 min walk to find the hotel.

When we go there we were greated by a charming young French girl on the reception, who for the duration of our short 2 night stay couldnt do enough for us. Booking our Restaurants, organising our Taxi back to the Airport, and drawing us maps of how best to get around the city for sightseeing and where to change our money, and more...

The men at the Hotel werent as confident with their English but were just as helpful as they could be.

Every review I read of other Hotels would say how little room they had. These rooms had plenty of room, as the space was used really efficiently.

The only down side to this Hotel, was that you could make out the sound of the Underground on the lower floors. We stayed on the second and it was very very faint, when in bed. This shoudnt put you off tho as this is a great modern Hotel for the money and location.

The Breakfast was Cereal, Boiled Eggs Bread cheese and Croissants, and of course Tea and Coffee.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank Russepa
Reviewed 10 July 2007

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Hotel George Sand in June. I have been to Paris numerous times and always try to stay around l'Opera. We looked at the hundreds of boutique hotels in the area and finally decided on the GS and were very happy with the decision.

The rooms were larger than I was expecting, and very well equipped. The bathroom was also quite large. We had a room on the second floor overlooking the street and never had any problems with noise. At 158 euros per night in June, I found the hotel a good value.

Location wise, it was perfect. The Louvre is only about a 15 minute walk (Arc de Triumph was about 25 minutes) and by metro the hotel is situated about half way between the Eiffel Tour and Montmartre.

A recommendation in getting to the hotel from the airport... to save some time, you can take the RER in from Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord for 8 euro per person. Then change to the metro from there or catch a cab depending on how much luggage you have and how brave / strong you are (remembering that there are a lot of stairs in the Paris metro which makes it difficult with luggage).

Overall, a great hotel in a great location. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
10  Thank gjr26645
Reviewed 19 January 2007

We have just returned from Paris where we stayed at the George Sand Hotel located in the Opera Quarter. This is within walking distance to the Champs Elysee, Arc De Triomphe, Louvre, is close to Lafayette shopping district and train stations. We found the location to be excellent.

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, assisting us with arranging tours and recommending places to dine to have the typical paris experience. They certainly helped to make the whole Paris experience very enjoyable. The room was also very nice, modern, newly refurbished and very comfortable. Only thing to look out for is the very cosy lift that only fits 4 with no luggage.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be coming back.

(Note that you may find my same comments for the same name hotel in a different location "39 rue Quintefol, Loches 37600, France". The Loches address was for a different hotel - oops !!.)

Stayed: January 2007
3  Thank JamesChin
A TripAdvisor Member
Gloucester
Reviewed 13 June 2005

I booked through Priceline and recieved information on this hotel. As it was the only 3 star hotel on the list, I chose it because if the address was in Paris, it can't be that far away from the centre, surely. Upon asking directions from the info desk at CDG airport, I was met with a puzzled yet mournful look as she told me where I had to go as if the hotel was in Calais. After listening to her endless directions, I decided to take a taxi, which cost 45 euros and took 40 minutes. I was a little worried by then...

Upon getting there, the people were very nice and will tell you anything you need to know about getting to the centre of Paris. The train station is 2 minutes walk away which takes you to Paris Saint Lazare train station in 10 minutes, then the Metro can take you anywhere from there. So really, the only difference between getting a hotel in the centre to the George Sand hotel is the 10 minute, 1 euro 60 cent train journey. No worries...

If you walk towards Paris from the hotel, there are so many shops and restaurants you feel that you wouldn't need to leave the area as it has so much to offer. Courbevoie is the business sector of Paris so the skyline is a sight with all of the high buildings, but just down the road you can see the Eiffel Tower in all it's glory.

One thing I have to mention that I didn't get on with at the hotel, is the beds. You must appreciate that taking a special young lady to Paris for the weekend, you're not going to curl up with cocoa and just fall asleep each night, but the bed I slept on was very noisy, came away from the wall and made us very self concious of what we were doing. Funnily enough, you can hear the beds going in the other rooms aswell, so you can imagine what they're thinking!

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay and if the hotel is available at a cheap rate, or you don't mind staying in another bustely area and commuting to the centre, this place is for you. Going back to the airport was a doddle on the train and costs about 8 euros, which is cheaper than taxi! Watch out for places you may nned to visit, as the signs aren't very good in Paris.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Hotel George Sand
Opera / Bourse
Hotel du Triangle d'Or
Hotel du Triangle d'Or
#321 of 1,803 in Paris

Been to Hotel George Sand? Share your experiences!