“Good Value in Paris”
Review of Hotel George Sand

Hotel George Sand
Ranked #771 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very well located close to the OPERA and very central for people who want to visit the main monuments of Paris. Nicely decorated. The room are comfortable and quite modern. The overall atmosphere of the hotel is good for the range of price.
I would recommand it

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vinz1

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed for two nights - was travelling alone. Check-in is after lunch 2.00 pm but I arrived already at 10.00 am. I left my luggage with the reception and sat down to rest for a moment before heading off to Galerie Lafayette which is also very close. Immediately I was offered coffee/tea and a small sweet roll without any charges. The receptionists were all very friendly and extremely helpful. They called taxis for me and gave me directions. My room was nicely furnished and decorated, had a mini bar and kettle for hot water plus herbal teas and sugar. On the TV you could also get CNN and BBC which is nice if your French is not good enough to watch French TV.
Bathroom supplies shampoo, shower gel and body lotion in high quality and a hair dryer. The room maid or steward did an excellent job and always even rolled up all the electrical cables of
my appliances ( charger for camera, mobile etc). The best bit about this hotel is its situation. You are just behind the Opera where the Roissy Airport bus stops, very near Boulevard Haussmann for Printemps and Galerie Lafayette.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the first floor because I have knee trouble. But there is a small lift so it d...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Ideally located (close to the Opera, la Madeleine, the big department stores, and several Metro, RER and bus stations) this hotel offers also very nice rooms with sufficient space and the necessary amenities. It could be easily a four-star hotel if it wasn’t for some details: The room was quite warm and the air-conditioner was switched to “winter” with no possibility to cool it. It is also not possible to open the windows because of the traffic noise. The WiFi-connection was of bad quality (and is anyway limited to two hours, the connection can end while you are working without warning). The water pressure in the bathtub was very weak. On the positive side, the room was very clean, the sound insulation (when you have the windows closed) perfect, bed linen and towels were changed every day. The reception staff was very friendly and eager to respond to our queries and needs. The price was OK given the location and the season (around Easter). We didn’t have breakfast at the hotel, but we think that for the same price (14 euros per person) or less, one can get much better in one of the surrounding cafés and bistros.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside as the street is very noisy
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Konstantin F
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I'm so fed up wasting my company's travel budget on the supposedly 5-star Pullman La Defense with its Travelodge rooms and non-existent service on regular business trips to Paris. This place really hits the spot - less than half the price, a simple but lively street with supermarkets, bars and restaurants right outside, and a 12-minute stroll to the office. The hotel is independently styled, homely, small and cute. My single room was snug and comfy with a good shower. The only issue was the wifi wasn't working well - I guess it struggles to reach to the 3rd floor so I'll ask if a lower room would sort the issue next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank deeboy
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

This time I stayed in room 301 - gosh it was small!

The bathroom so tiny you had to back in to reach the loo. Maybe better to just have a shower cubicle instead of a bath in a room the size of a bath!

The walls were painted a beige colour, the curtains looked yellow-ish (previous a smoking room?). The whole interior was just tired and in urgent need of updating. Bedside lamp didn't work. No point complaining when you are only staying one night.

I have to say that last time I stayed here I was in a big room on the 5th floor which was much better.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank PEMtheDane
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This hotel has great potential -- it's right in the heart of Paris and at the time of my trip it was pushing a discount and so, hooked, I booked ! IT WAS A DISASTER !! The moment I entered my room, I found the ambient temperature an extremely uncomfortable 40°C plus, with no air conditioning available. The front desk manager told me that the air conditioning is only switched on after a specific fixed date AND YET AIR CONDITIONING IS ADVERTISED ON THEIR WEB SITE. Other items that were SO sub-standard included the hand-basin plug jammed open (mechanism forced) so it could not be used properly; the extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work, with attendant smells lingering in the room; the rigid plastic concertina shower-curtain was completely missing; neither the radio nor the TV worked at all; the kettle is a safety hazard in that, as it no longer switches off automatically, it could easily boil dry and cause a fire; and the towels are so old, hard and rough that it was like trying to dry oneself with sandpaper !

But it was not until retiring to bed at 23:30 hrs that I was to discover the very WORST aspect of my stay, when overpoweringly thick cigarette smoke pervaded my room via the ventilation grill, coming either from some of the other guests rooms or indeed possibly even from the management team’s quarters. I noticed that there are NO signs of any kind to indicate no smoking within the hotel premises.

As instructed by the front desk manager, I wrote a letter of complaint to the owners. They have chosen not to reply, but I am not surprised, frankly, because their whole approach smacks of pure greed -- take what they can out of the business, but at all costs avoid putting anything back into it. THEIR STANDARDS ARE EXTREMELY POOR AND THEIR WEBSITE'S BLATANTLY MISLEADING DESCRIPTION OF THE HOTEL'S FACILITIES IS INEXCUSABLE.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor or above are less susceptible to tremors from the Metro.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank lecygnemuet
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Walked pass this hotel many times whilst staying in Paris. Stayed in the hotel last weekend. What a fantastic find ! We had a really nice room on the 5th floor, well above the street noise and Metro rumble. The room was very well appointed, very comfortable and with a wonderful bathroom. Everything in the room worked and there was a decent sized mini-bar with everything you could need. The staff were very professional, friendly and willing to assist in booking restaurants, suggesting places to visit etc.. I know the breakfasts are good continental style fare but for me I prefer the Illy coffee shop around the corner. I would highly recommend this hotel for both leisure and corporate guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Colin M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Hotel George Sand
Opera / Bourse
Hotel Saint Petersbourg
Hotel Saint Petersbourg
#231 of 1,802 in Paris

Been to Hotel George Sand? Share your experiences!