“great location, with faults”
Review of A Room in Paris

A Room in Paris
Ranked #14 of 135 Paris B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2009

"A room in Paris" has moved and is no more on rue parrot, now close to gare du nord. fantastic location, 3 mins from metro. three rooms, the smallest one not very nice, extremely small, one other next to the kitchen where the owner seemed to make a habit of banging things all the time, making it hard to sleep. the last room facing the street noisy but nice.
breakfast was quite uninspiring, the male couple who runs this place seemed to buy everything from the local cheapie store nearby, instead of buying proper stuff. strangely enough home made jam! coffe undrinkable.
peet, one of the owners may treat some people very nice but we really felt really welcome, more like we were in his way, despite kind words.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank apicus
aroominparis, propriétaire at A Room in Paris, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2009

Really sorry you did not remark your complaints while you were staying here. I have no idea who you are and when you stayed at our place. So I don't know whether your remarks about my behaviour are justified. I have checked my bookings and did not have a guest from London in may or june last. Very strange, beacause according to your profile you are from London and you stated to have staid with us in june.

A standard french breakfast contains, roasted bread from the day before, a croissant, coffee, butter and confiture. We do home made bread, croissants, cheese, ham, cereals, orange juice, fruit, home made jams, coffee, tea, milk and yoghurts......And yes most of our goods come from the cheapy but very convenient super market downstairs! Living in the city centre of Paris without a car, I don't go in public transport for an hour to Carrefour to do my shoppings, while I can get everything of equal quality downstairs. Besides that we have twice a week a wonderful fruit and vegetable market, where I get all fruits from!

As to my behaviour, I try to be a good host to all of my guests, even if the guests do not fit in our house. With some guests there is a wonderful interaction, with others less....Guess that is only normal!

It is not easy and nice to receive bad critics when you have only great reviews all the time, but I wished they would be justified!

Reviewed 14 June 2009

First of all, the location was very good, near the Gare du Nord, just 5 mins walk from the station. But you may have a problem that you don't reckon from the main door that you will be going to stay there. Just be sure you are going to find it with the address. The room was beautiful and somewhat artistic, with many unique decorations. The room was spacious and we just love it. The toilet was also very clean. Breakfast was okay. One little point was that we did see some dirt on those glasses. Anywayz, we really had three comfortable nights here and I would recommend this to other friends.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I stayed in Room no.1 with my husband for six nights in May. This could well be the most economic room in a well located B&B in Paris. The room was small but that was expected. It had a tall window and enough movement space. There wasn't a closet but plenty of drawers and shelves. Their other two rooms are larger. There are two bathrooms, both very clean and spacious. The breakfast was more than adequate and home baked croissants were very very good. There is a small refrigerator in the passage in which the guests can keep their stuff.

Peet Verrest is a genial host and has lots of tips and advice about the city and the bus routes etc. On the whole we had a very comfortable stay in this tidy and well kept home which is just a few minutes walking distance from Gare du Nord and east.

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank Archiwalk
Reviewed 30 May 2009

The place has been done up beautifully with personal touches everywhere including the bathrooms. We got a maroon themed room. It was very pretty and clean. The bathrooms especially need a mention. The hosts were very helpful and friendly. The house is 5 mins walking distance from Gare du Nord. The breakfast was ordinary but sufficient.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank JammyIndia
Reviewed 30 March 2009

This is a beautifully, newly renovated Haussmannienne flat. The rooms are large and airy with their high ceilings and lots of natural light. Decor is very tasteful: the artwork, furniture, linens and lighting. Super comfy beds, too. Peet and Thierry are very helpful and accommodating, not to mention the place smelled wonderful walking into Peet's homemade jams simmering !

• Stayed: March 2009
3  Thank monunisson
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Stayed 5 days with my son in March. I had caught a flu in London and felt awfull upon arrival. The host truly went out of his way to help me feel better, get a doctor and even helped me get my medicin!! He saw to every detail ! I cannot thank him enough, and so does my son, who could then tour Paris on his own for the couple days I stayed "home".
The premises are spotless clean, so very spacious! and continental breakfast is great. The location is very central, very safe, and just a few stations away from most attractions. This will definitely be my choice for future visits !

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cordobesaforexport
Reviewed 12 January 2009

My friend and I have just returned from Paris last week. Staying in A Room in Paris made it very convenient for us to go anywhere as it's only 5 minutes walk from Gare Du Nord. The property owner was quite friendly. He also helped recommend us, first timers, nice places to visit. The hotel itself was very nice and clean and we didn't have any problem with our stay at all. I would recommend my friends to stay there if they want a nice, convenient and inexpensive place to stay in Paris.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends