“Friendly hotel but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cosmo's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cosmo's Hotel
Ranked #861 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Vancouver, Canada
“Friendly hotel but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2008

I discovered this hotel on tripadvisor - needed something cheap and cheerful in central Paris while travelling with my two teenage daughters. The hotel was easy to find - especially if you use Google - two blocks from Partmentier metro station. Triple room was, of course, small but had everything we required - comfortable beds, hot shower, wall safe, TV to see the Olympics! The cat was an added bonus.
The street (one-way) is very narrow and noise reverberates up to the rooms. It was hot in August and we needed to keep the window open at night. The noise was absolutely unbearable - especially on Saturday night. The pizza joint across the street was serviced by scooters which tore up the street endlessly. Also, groups of young men hanging out at the pizza place - shouting and laughing until daylight! The only night we got some sleep was the Sunday!
I felt safe in this neighbourhood and there were plenty of shops, restaurants, bakeries, etc. I'd stay here again but only with ear-plugs!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Street noise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank AlexFamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2008

My first trip to Europe, first trip to Paris, and Cosmos the first Parisian hotel I stayed in.

Booked Cosmos based on a friend's recommendation for 2 nights 23-25 Mar, when no room was avail at Quartier Marais, which was also recommended. Room 13 (not as sinister or intimidating as it sounds) was affordable (45 euros), no frills, a few TV channels all in French, hot water shower, heater not working (but didn't need it), decent bed and clean room and sheets. Bathroom is hilariously small (but I was forewarned), only the length of my arm and a palm so you don't so much bathe as you pirouette under the shower. Nonetheless, it's clean.

Didn't take hotel breakfast, and glad I didn't. Nearby bakery Banette and the opposite boulangerie are sufficient - to-die-for croissants, heavenly chocolate bread and sinful eclairs bursting with coffee or chocolate fillings. Minimart just a 10-15min stroll near to the Rue Voltaire area, flanked by shops selling garments, mass produced in China and managed by Chinese. MacDonald's on 24hrs at nearby Parmentier metro station, another plus. La Page Blanche, restaurant with the red facade opposite Cosmos, serves decent affordable food (20 euros for dinner: starter, main, dessert and drink) cooked by friendly chef who's also the boss, in cosy setting. Internet cafe further uphill to left of Cosmos is cheapest I scouted in Paris - 1 euro for 30mins.

Hotel staff are mostly friendly and approachable (except for a young chap who was perpetually perplexed and harried and sour faced). If you're feline-friendly, the furry grey hotel mascot will keep you occupied and entertained while you wait for your room.

Only big gripe - walls are cardboard thin. You hear every bang, crash, boom, slam.

Cosmos is further away from the main sights (unless if you count Pere Lachaise) and no distinctive tourist attraction to see but surrounding building architecture quite exquisite (for a first timer), nearby Parmentier metro is convenient, a carnet of tickets will bring you everywhere you plan to go. Quiet streets without any unnecessary intimidation if you're travelling alone. Very functional place to shelter and save money for other more important expenses.

Such as spending on those delectable Banette croissants and pastries.

• Liked — Affordability, unintrusive environment, bakeries and minimart, metro station
  • Disliked — Cardboard thin walls and ceiling
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank ymkong2014
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

This was my first time in Paris and I was on a budget. The hotel is close to metro stations, making it easy to get around town. The room was adequate for the price, lets face it if you go to Paris to stay in your room then you shouldn't be there. I think I had the world's smallest bathroom though!
There is a great little english-friendly restaurant across the street called La Page Blanche, serving hearty meals.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank Xremona
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2008

I stayed at this hotel in mid-December for a week. The price was 44 euro for a single room. There was a double bed and a bathroom en suite. I think the placed in a strange angle which made it sort of uncomfortable. The metro stop Parmentier is about five minutes away and there is a bus stop to the right of the hotel. There are no real sights here, so you have to use the metro/bus to get around. There is some noise in the area at night--especially on the weekends. So take caution if you are a light sleeper. The hotel staff was friendly--at least from the morning to afternoon. The night shift was manned by young college students. If you want to be closer to the main sights I would not recommend this hotel; however, if you are willing to use the metro to get around it is fine. I didn't really notice any great restraunts though--I was underwhelmed the two times I ate in the area.

• Liked — price, proximity to metro and bus stops
  • Disliked — bathroom size
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank ForgottenOne50
Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2007

I stayed in the hotel nearly a year ago and maybe somethings have changed, but this is my view on it.

Price was great! Location is good, very close to the underground, a few places to eat and Republique Square is not too far away.

BUT, and this is a big but, my friend and I were given a room that smelled like people smoked there 24/7 ..... apparently they didn't give us the option of a nonsmoking room and just split half of our party (another 3 girls) to a non smoking room. We could only be moved on our last night to a nonsmoking one.

Street noise was a big issue because we couldn't stand having the windows closed (remember the awful smell?), and it being February means it wasn't warm either. Forget about soundproof rooms - you can hear what other people in the hotel are up to.

My biggest complaint however, is cleaniless. I slept in 2 different rooms and went to see our friends' room and NONE of them were clean....the white bathroom doesn't help cause you can see all the spots they`ve missed. It's disgusting.

I just wouldn't stay there again...shell out a few extra bucks where you can get a cleaner location with soundproof walls and no dogy smell, because Paris is a GREAT city!

• Liked — Price, Location
  • Disliked — Cleaniless, Noise, Smell
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank jahnotdead
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2007

We were 3 adults who stayed 3 nights in a triple room for Euro 66 a night which was good value for a well located hotel in Paris. The hotel seems to have been renovated recently and has a smart appearance. The room overlooked the street but we didn't have the noise referred to by others except that on the first night there was a large group of teenagers staying at the hotel who caused a bit of noise for a while. The room was spacious although the bathroom was very small. We've got used to that in budget priced hotels in Europe. We didn't have breakfast there, preferring to obtain supplies from one of several patisseries close by. The hotel is only a short walk from several Metro stations (Parmentier and Oberkampf) and there were dozens of restaurants close by, particularly in Parmentier. Unlike another reviewer, we didn't feel in any sense uncomfortable walking at night in this area. This hotel suited our needs perfectly.

• Liked — Location to Metro and restaurants
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Arbiter
Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2007

Our room was small (which was fine, I know European rooms are small having been in several) but the bathroom was huge with a tiny shower and pedestal sink with half the space unused - why not have added space to the room area?? The beds were very uncomfortable and the comforters felt as if they hadn't been washed in a while. And the carpet was worn and stained. Our room looked nothing like pictures on the internet. We were woken up every night by loud "kids" yelling and hanging out in the streets. We didn't care much for the area, the area around the place de le reuplique is okay, but I thought too far to walk to eat, and we don't mind walking - we walked from the hotel way down past the pantheon, but I would prefer to be closer to main attractions/restaurants etc... The shower was tiny, barely enough room to put your arms up to wash your hair and the shower curtain stuck to you it was so small, plus water from the shower got all over the floor. I realize it is a cheap hotel, but I still would have expected more.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple