“A well kept secret psssst don't tell anyone” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Marais House
Ranked #66 of 128 Paris B&B and Inns
Cotswolds
“A well kept secret psssst don't tell anyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2009

The Marais House is an exquisitely decorated discreet hideaway in the trendy heart of Paris. in this rather unassuming sidestreet lies 5 stories of fabulously decorated fun built out of an old factory and renovated by the owner and host Yann Gabriel. He made us feel at home and we made ourselves at home making full use of the large drawing room for pre dinner drinks. Check out the rooms on the website they really are massive his attention to detail is bar none.
This really is the sort of place you don't want to tell too many people about as you may not get a room the next time!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Undercoverbrother

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

My wife and I made our first trip to Paris together at the end of October / beginning of November to celebrate our third anniversary. In researching for our trip, my wife found Marais House and was intrigued. I will admit to being somewhat skeptical initially as I thought we might benefit from some of the advantages of a large hotel, but she felt strongly this was the place for us, and so I agreed and we made our reservation.

The moment we walked in the door I knew she was right. We were greeted by the owner, Yann-Gabriel Hentschke, who couldn't have been more delightful and welcoming. After unpacking and freshening up, we were invited to join Yann in the Parlor for tea. I'm not much of a tea-drinker, but the tea that Yann served us was absolutely delicious, and just what the doctor ordered after an overnight flight.

As we sat drinking our tea, I was struck by the fact that it felt more like we were old friends of Yann's rather than his customers. This is a testament to his affability and charm. We talked about the restaurant reservations we had made, and Yann quite candidly told us which ones he approved of and which he thought we might want to reconsider. He even went so far as to pick up the phone in the Parlor, call a restaurant he had recommended, and secure a reservation for us that night. He gave us shopping tips as well, and told us we should feel free to call him at any time if we were lost, unsure, etc. (I would be remiss if I failed to mention Bonheur and Vendôme, Yann's delightful Chocolate Labradors. As a dog owner ourselves, we were delighted to have these friendly dogs at our feet, and they, like their owner, made us feel right at home).

It's difficult to describe the extraordinary decoration of Marais House. Yann has exquisite taste, and it is evident in everything from the marvelous antique furniture to the meticulous fabrics and upholstery. Each of the rooms has its own name and "theme". Our room was "Elephant", and we were thrilled. Not only was the room beautiful, it was also incredibly romantic.

In an effort to keep this from being too long, I'll simply say that the bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom plenty big and luxurious, and in short, from the standpoint of the accommodations, it would have been hard to feel both comfortable and spoiled at the same time. The house is wonderfully quiet, and Yann is completely unobtrusive. He will interact with you as much or as little as you wish. The rate, I felt, was quite reasonable, particularly for Paris and particularly when compared to what some of the larger hotels were charging. Anyone who would like additional detail should feel free to contact me.

In closing, I wanted to point out two instances where I think Yann went "above and beyond the call of duty", so to speak, and really set himself and Marais House apart from the competition. The first involved the tea. As I wrote previously, I'm not a big tea-drinker, but if I could have the tea that he served us, I would drink it every day! I told Yann something to that effect, and without hesitation, he led my wife and me to the store where he buys all of his teas. The store was a small one, and there is no way we would ever have found it on our own. He led us there, told the proprietor precisely what kind of tea and how much of it we needed, and then offered to take the tea back to Marais House with him so that we wouldn't have to carry it around for the rest of the day as we toured the city. We thought that was pretty terrific. The second instance occurred on our second night, when I came down with some sort of 24-hour stomach bug. As my wife was leaving to try to find ginger ale for me, Yann told her he had something even better. He proceeded to lead her to his kitchen, where he personally chopped ginger and brewed homemade ginger tea. I am not exaggerating when I say that as soon as I had some of this tea, I immediately began to feel better. The next day Yann came up to check on me and offered to make more tea. I don't think it would have been possible to have this sort of personalized service at a larger hotel, and I'm sure there are plenty of smaller hotels where the owner wouldn't have taken the time or gone to the trouble like Yann did. I think both of these stories epitomize the hospitality and the personalized service one can expect from Yann and Marais House.

In closing, I could not be more enthusiastic in recommending Marais House (and we will do so to any of our friends who are Paris-bound). We also plan to stay there again on our next Paris trip, and I only hope Yann hasn't changed one thing in the meantime. Perfection shouldn't be tampered with!

Thank you again, Yann, for helping to make our trip to Paris one that we'll always remember!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blue1021
maraishouse, owner at Marais House, responded to this review, 17 November 2009
This obviously is one review we shall have need to work hard to live up to. As in the past I must say to be amazed at how guests take time off their schedules to be kind and write a review without any hidden agendas. We indeed are very lucky in the mass majority to get the guests we do as it indeed is a pleasure hosting them, as it was this delightful couple.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Marais House is a beautiful house that is conveniently located to see the sites of Paris.

The service we experienced was very poor however as there were limited toiletries (one soap dispenser), our beds were not changed or our bin emptied during the duration of our stay. The breakfast was complimentary (unlike the owner) but only cake and coffee and we were told we had to have it after 10-00am.

For the price charged we felt we were entitled to write an email to the owner (as he was away at the timeof our stay) and received a sarcastic reply telling us (amongst other things) we should have left if we didnt like it (which is difficult we paid 50% deposit upfront); though I am not sure I should put that in as he also questioned our financial status in being able to afford staying there!

I can see why there are a number of good reviews and may be if he had been there it would have been different; but its fingers crossed there is no problems and heaven help you if you mention it to him.

I await more mature comments from him.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JCPLondon
maraishouse, owner at Marais House, responded to this review, 12 June 2009
Clients wrote to us saying the maid came several times to their room, she was only able to make up the bathroom as they were always in the bedroom (which is their priviledge) but they never allowed her acces to make up the room. We do not understand why they did not compalin to her about the soap and shapooos when she made up the bathroom. Why wait several days after leaving ? Breakfast consists of coffe, a selection of teas, juice, milk, four different cakes and Jams, not just coffe and cake. It is laid out between ten and one to all our clients delight as they do not need to get up early. Clients asked for a discount as they were on their honey moon which we gave them, never did we doubt their ability to afford the accommodations. Possibly they found the discount not to be enough? Clients did not pay 50% deposit as they claim.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

My wife and I spent 4 nights in Paris and as this was our 8th trip here, we wanted something more personal than a hotel. So we tried a bed and breakfast for a change. We arrived early on a cold Sunday morning and were warmly greeted by 2 beautiful brown Labradors and their owner Yan, who had scrambled out of bed when we we rang the doorbell. A pot of tea by the drawing room fireplace, soon followed.
Yann, with his dry sense of humour, was a wealth of information and every morning while we had breakfast, would plan out our day and give us tips on which restaurants to avoid and which to visit.
Breakfast was nothing fancy, but rather the traditional French pastries and tea or coffee, which was plenty because we were happy to see the sites and do some shopping before having a big lunch at one of the recommended restaurants.
The house itself, which is full of antiques (and some reproduction antiques and rugs) has 4 bedrooms, each on a separate floor. We had one on the 3rd Floor (and thank goodness there was a lift) with an attached en-suite/bathroom. By Parisian standards it was very spacious. The shower had great water pressure.
It's in a very old part of Paris, surround by houses that are several hundred years old and it was a wonderful experience walking out of one of them as if we were locals instead of coming out of a big impersonal hotel. I'm struggling to find a negative thing to say, it was positioned well, and it had free wi-fi for your laptop. Perhaps the only negative for some people is that there's no T.V. but that didin't matter for us because we came to see Paris not T.V.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank waf383
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

We've just come back from Paris and enjoyed staying in this unique guesthouse. If you like anonymous 4 or 5 star hotels with trouser presses and wifi this is definately not for you. I had read the positive and negative reviews on this site prior to booking and yes there's no kettle or telly, but that misses the point of this experience. Care and money has been lavished on every detail of the decoration of this house. Yann was very friendly and professional, the room was big enough by parisian standards and was spotless. This guesthouse enhances the tourist experience and although it will not be to everyones taste, we left promising to return.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brockcork
maraishouse, owner at Marais House, responded to this review, 21 October 2008
It is always very pleasant to see guests taking the time out once back home to be so kind about their stay. I do not remember who these clients were to thank them since the grand mojority of our clients are pleasant to deal with which makes us understand how furtunate we are in having so pleasant guests. Just one little comment to say that the house is indeed on WIFI for internet connection.
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2008

Last Wednesday after a highly stressful day full of business meetings and comings and goings I arrived at my normal Paris hotel to find it booked out, my mistake, it was left to someone to book it for me.
After a number of hours running around Paris a business contacts mother told me to call to Marais House.
I was greeted at the door by the proprietor Yann and his two wonderful brown Labradors.
I had a wonderful two night stay which included 5 or 6 chats with Yann in the magnificent parlour.
I would have no hesitation recommending Marais House, in fact I am looking forward to my next stay there.
I have also wrote on my own site regarding the stay.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank patphelancork
maraishouse, owner/manager at Marais House, responded to this review, 9 September 2008
I am always pleasantly surprising to see that clients take the time to write of their positive experiences (and negative). Indeed one is always ready to complain when something is not right but too often pass when things are right. I must say having been very fortunate with so many positive clients that take the time out to be so complimentary on their stay. They certainly did not have to, but took the time as this gentleman has. Thank you.
Maraishouse.
tel aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2008

This has been our 10th time in Paris - and easily i can say that it was our best ever accommodation in the city! The house is beautiful and so special! the room amazing and romantic, furniture perfect, the bed one of the most comfortable we ever slept in, the bathroom a true masterpiece, and the location superb. and Yann the owner (and son Brandon) were wonderful hosts, letting us leave the guest house late as our flight was in the evening (something that in every standard hotel would cost us another night)... yes - it's not cheap - but it is worth every penny! (we saved a bit by traveling by train - RER - to and from the airport, the station is pretty near). if you are searching for a special vacation - marais house is my warmest recommendation... you will see that it competes with the beauty of paris, we had to drag ourselves out of the room it was so luxorious...

• Liked — it was perfect - comfortable and beautiul
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple