“The best of the best!”

and 1 more site!
Marais House
Ranked #69 of 136 Paris B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We spent a week in April at the Marais House, and I just can't come back down to Earth.
We had a wonderful time! The house is even better than the pictures portray, and the bedroom was so comfortable and so incredibly quiet for being in the center of Paris, that we just couldn't believe our luck. The bathroom is one of the best appointed I have ever had in Paris, lots of hot water and fluffy 5 star hotel towels.
The owner is wealth of inside Paris information, and he is so modest too. He is always on hand for any information needed. The Maraus House is a place to call home in Paris, and we will do so from now on. It really deserves it's top notch reputation.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 March 2010

The website for this place looked fantastic and looking to book somewhere for the first night of my honeymoon on the way to the south, thought it would be different and special so made email contact to check availability.

Mr Yann-Gabriel responds quickly and it was available. Great I thought.

Wanting to ensure everything would be perfect I wanted to check which rooms were available, as they are all detailed on the website.I was told they he was unable to secure a particular room but would try his best. So I asked for the room which was most suitable for such occasions and asked to confirm my booking.

He decided not to respond to suitable room question but simply asked that I pay for the room in full via PayPal.

Okay I thought perhaps he'll just look after me but then I raised the question of breakfast and if it would be possible to have it in the room (We are leaving on an early flight the day of our departure from Paris). Short response was it's served in the dining room downstairs from 10pm. OK I thought, not warming to the guy much, particularly as it mentions on the website that they can cater for other meals (thought this might extend to an early breakfast at about 7.30am) maybe they'll do a discount if there's no breakfast:
"The breakfast is complimentary" was the abrupt reply.

Ready to tell the guy exactly what I thought of him I paused and sent an email just explaining that as it was my honeymoon I just wanted everything to be perfect and could he give me some reassurance:

"Possibly you should book somewhere where you are more comfortable in doing so and are certain you shall find something appropriate" was the response.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but someone offering a service to paying customers would normally provide one.

Rather pleased I'm not going through with it to see what little service is on offer.

Clearly the delightful Mr Hentschke is rather pleased with his press for fashion shoots and perhaps he should stick to them as I've never encountered such reaction to simple enquiries.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gettinghitchedLondon
Reviewed 16 February 2010

My second trip to Paris. Stayed with friends at MH. Greeted by Yann-Gabriel and the labs with champagne on arrival. We were the the only guests in the house this very cold 2nd week of February. The rooms were spotlessly clean. The rooms were spacious by Parisian standards. The location is great in the heart of the Marais with 5 minutes the Pompidou, 10 minutes to Hotel deVille, 15 minutes to the Louvre/Seine. The water was very hot all of the time thankfully. The bed was very comfortable with excellent linens. My room was cleaned daily. There is Wi-Fi access in the house although in my 2nd floor apartment the reception was spotty. Better access in the Elephant room on the 3rd floor. My only quibble (albeit minor) was that my room did not have a walk-in shower as the Elephant room had and I did not have a small fridge in my room as the others had. If you require these then make sure to let Yann-Gabriel know in advance for proper room choice. Breakfast consisted of coffee/tea, juice and some pastries in the dining room in the basement. Very cool down there in February. It was an adequate start to the day before going out and sampling Paris cuisine. Throughout the six nhights we were there Yann-Gabriel treated my friends and I with courtesy, and getting to know him and the history of his home, the Marais and Paris made the stay even more enjoyable. If you need a cold, sterile room at the Westin then don't stay here. However, I will definitely be calling on the Marais House and Yann-Gabriel when I return to Paris.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank bwana1
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Yann-Gabriel, Bonheur and Vendôme offer a unique experience in Paris. Your gregarious host is a most charming, knowledgeable and helpful man. Nothing is a problem here, with great recommendations for eating, viewing and visiting for your visit. You can always trust a host who greets you with excellent tea! The house is exquisite, the location superb and the experience truly unique. My wife and I stay in business hotels several times a year and this was such a refreshing change. It will now be our ‘go to’ in Paris. My only negative was that we didn’t have more time there! We will endeavour to rectify that! Declan and Emily, Wexford, Ireland

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DesignsnobWexford
Reviewed 18 November 2009

The Marais House is an exquisitely decorated discreet hideaway in the trendy heart of Paris. in this rather unassuming sidestreet lies 5 stories of fabulously decorated fun built out of an old factory and renovated by the owner and host Yann Gabriel. He made us feel at home and we made ourselves at home making full use of the large drawing room for pre dinner drinks. Check out the rooms on the website they really are massive his attention to detail is bar none.
This really is the sort of place you don't want to tell too many people about as you may not get a room the next time!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Undercoverbrother
Reviewed 9 November 2009

My wife and I made our first trip to Paris together at the end of October / beginning of November to celebrate our third anniversary. In researching for our trip, my wife found Marais House and was intrigued. I will admit to being somewhat skeptical initially as I thought we might benefit from some of the advantages of a large hotel, but she felt strongly this was the place for us, and so I agreed and we made our reservation.

The moment we walked in the door I knew she was right. We were greeted by the owner, Yann-Gabriel Hentschke, who couldn't have been more delightful and welcoming. After unpacking and freshening up, we were invited to join Yann in the Parlor for tea. I'm not much of a tea-drinker, but the tea that Yann served us was absolutely delicious, and just what the doctor ordered after an overnight flight.

As we sat drinking our tea, I was struck by the fact that it felt more like we were old friends of Yann's rather than his customers. This is a testament to his affability and charm. We talked about the restaurant reservations we had made, and Yann quite candidly told us which ones he approved of and which he thought we might want to reconsider. He even went so far as to pick up the phone in the Parlor, call a restaurant he had recommended, and secure a reservation for us that night. He gave us shopping tips as well, and told us we should feel free to call him at any time if we were lost, unsure, etc. (I would be remiss if I failed to mention Bonheur and Vendôme, Yann's delightful Chocolate Labradors. As a dog owner ourselves, we were delighted to have these friendly dogs at our feet, and they, like their owner, made us feel right at home).

It's difficult to describe the extraordinary decoration of Marais House. Yann has exquisite taste, and it is evident in everything from the marvelous antique furniture to the meticulous fabrics and upholstery. Each of the rooms has its own name and "theme". Our room was "Elephant", and we were thrilled. Not only was the room beautiful, it was also incredibly romantic.

In an effort to keep this from being too long, I'll simply say that the bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom plenty big and luxurious, and in short, from the standpoint of the accommodations, it would have been hard to feel both comfortable and spoiled at the same time. The house is wonderfully quiet, and Yann is completely unobtrusive. He will interact with you as much or as little as you wish. The rate, I felt, was quite reasonable, particularly for Paris and particularly when compared to what some of the larger hotels were charging. Anyone who would like additional detail should feel free to contact me.

In closing, I wanted to point out two instances where I think Yann went "above and beyond the call of duty", so to speak, and really set himself and Marais House apart from the competition. The first involved the tea. As I wrote previously, I'm not a big tea-drinker, but if I could have the tea that he served us, I would drink it every day! I told Yann something to that effect, and without hesitation, he led my wife and me to the store where he buys all of his teas. The store was a small one, and there is no way we would ever have found it on our own. He led us there, told the proprietor precisely what kind of tea and how much of it we needed, and then offered to take the tea back to Marais House with him so that we wouldn't have to carry it around for the rest of the day as we toured the city. We thought that was pretty terrific. The second instance occurred on our second night, when I came down with some sort of 24-hour stomach bug. As my wife was leaving to try to find ginger ale for me, Yann told her he had something even better. He proceeded to lead her to his kitchen, where he personally chopped ginger and brewed homemade ginger tea. I am not exaggerating when I say that as soon as I had some of this tea, I immediately began to feel better. The next day Yann came up to check on me and offered to make more tea. I don't think it would have been possible to have this sort of personalized service at a larger hotel, and I'm sure there are plenty of smaller hotels where the owner wouldn't have taken the time or gone to the trouble like Yann did. I think both of these stories epitomize the hospitality and the personalized service one can expect from Yann and Marais House.

In closing, I could not be more enthusiastic in recommending Marais House (and we will do so to any of our friends who are Paris-bound). We also plan to stay there again on our next Paris trip, and I only hope Yann hasn't changed one thing in the meantime. Perfection shouldn't be tampered with!

Thank you again, Yann, for helping to make our trip to Paris one that we'll always remember!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blue1021
maraishouse, owner at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2009

This obviously is one review we shall have need to work hard to live up to. As in the past I must say to be amazed at how guests take time off their schedules to be kind and write a review without any hidden agendas. We indeed are very lucky in the mass majority to get the guests we do as it indeed is a pleasure hosting them, as it was this delightful couple.

Reviewed 11 May 2009

Marais House is a beautiful house that is conveniently located to see the sites of Paris.

The service we experienced was very poor however as there were limited toiletries (one soap dispenser), our beds were not changed or our bin emptied during the duration of our stay. The breakfast was complimentary (unlike the owner) but only cake and coffee and we were told we had to have it after 10-00am.

For the price charged we felt we were entitled to write an email to the owner (as he was away at the timeof our stay) and received a sarcastic reply telling us (amongst other things) we should have left if we didnt like it (which is difficult we paid 50% deposit upfront); though I am not sure I should put that in as he also questioned our financial status in being able to afford staying there!

I can see why there are a number of good reviews and may be if he had been there it would have been different; but its fingers crossed there is no problems and heaven help you if you mention it to him.

I await more mature comments from him.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JCPLondon
maraishouse, owner at Marais House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2009

Clients wrote to us saying the maid came several times to their room, she was only able to make up the bathroom as they were always in the bedroom (which is their priviledge) but they never allowed her acces to make up the room. We do not understand why they did not compalin to her about the soap and shapooos when she made up the bathroom. Why wait several days after leaving ? Breakfast consists of coffe, a selection of teas, juice, milk, four different cakes and Jams, not just coffe and cake. It is laid out between ten and one to all our clients delight as they do not need to get up early. Clients asked for a discount as they were on their honey moon which we gave them, never did we doubt their ability to afford the accommodations. Possibly they found the discount not to be enough? Clients did not pay 50% deposit as they claim.