“A bit creepy”

Ranked #67 of 135 Paris B&B and Inns
London
“A bit creepy”
Reviewed 24 February 2011

The discrete location is annoying when you arrive in Paris very early and just want to get to your hotel. Its also rather unwelcoming. The hotel is very dark and somewhat creepy. I certainly wouldn't have been happy staying there on my own. In terms of cleanliness its sort of as clean as I would expect someone's house to be but not sparkling hotel clean. The bed was made in a way that I would make my spare bed up in our spare room but not really hotel quality. Soooo.. in short if your looking for a b&b then this place is very much that and certainly NOT hotel quality. It's all a bit dark and creepy in m opinion and very over priced.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HillaryLondon
maraishouse, Owner at Marais House, responded to this review, 4 March 2011
It must be a coincidence that the three last negative reviews seem to have one point in common and that is that we have no idea who they are from. This review having been posted on the 24th February for an alleged stay in December doubles our suspicion.

We shall just answer it point by point below.

We do not understand what is referred to as a 'discrete location' and if so ; what is annoying about being discrete? As for arriving early, as this person claims to have, yes indeed we do accept early arrivals for which we do not charge. A pity this was not mentioned by this person who claims to have arrived early. Also, this person calls us a hotel which we are not.

If this person indeed stayed here and found it un welcoming, dark and creepy, Why stay? Why should anyone stay in a dark creepy place with so many other Paris options?

Again, we are not a hotel but a private townhouse featured in Architectural Digest and many other magazines (a selection of which that can be seen on our web site).

Possibly this person stayed in a dark, un welcoming, creepy hotel and not with us as we repeat, WE ARE NOT A HOTEL.

If indeed this person stayed here, why not say so and wait two months to complain? This person once again refers to us as a hotel for the third time; having stayed here they should know we are not.

It is a pity we were not explained by this person how she wanted the beds to be made. Seeing that we make them up twice a day, morning and evening, there was ample opportunity to say something. We never have heard about the way the beds are made up in all these years.

It's all a bit dark and creepy in m opinion and very over priced.

In short, we actually do not believe this person has stayed here in December, waiting two months to post this, and if indeed they did why did they accept all of these alleged shortcomings? They claim to have stayed here and yet called us a hotel on five different occasions on their complaint.

We have never pretended to be a hotel, we are a B and B, how after staying here could they not know this, if indeed they have been here at all.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Four dear friends and I were recently fortunate enough to have stayed at the Marais House for five nights, thoroughly enjoying the magnificence of our surroundings and the graciousness and generosity of Yann, our host and owner. Also welcoming us warmly were Bonheur and Vendôme, Yann's sweet and gentle Chocolate Labs, who added joy to our stay.

We could not have asked for a more wonderful experience. Yann's attention to detail and consideration of our needs were impeccable. For anyone wishing to receive the personal touch never found in chains or hotels, the Marais House is perfect. Yann accommodated our every wish and provided so much information, truly enhancing our enjoyment of Paris. He is very interesting, knowledgeable and charming, and we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations during the delicious tea and champagne hours he hosted in the lovely drawing room. What a treat they were.

The Marais House is a treasure and a reflection of much love for its history and content. Everything in it has an intriguing story. Our rooms and beds were very comfortable and the baths great with an abundance of hot water and plush towels. Breakfast was from 10:00 AM to noon giving us the option of sleeping in and not rushing in the morning, a lovely plus. It was served in the colorful "basement," a cave-like area once part of an important tunnel system that existed through the homes. Breakfast was ample and delicious, and we tended to linger there just to take in the atmosphere. The location of the Marais House is another plus, so convenient in this historic and fascinating area giving easy access to all the sites.

Staying at the Marais House was like staying at a friend's home. It was warm, inviting and very comfortable. Yet the design also provided complete privacy as well. Coming in from each day's activities was a pleasure knowing a friend, Yann, was there. This was our first stay here, the first of more we hope. On a personal note, I'd like to thank Yann for his diligence in finding an important item for me, namely a small earring that has been all over the world with me. I was so sure I had seen the last of it knowing it was lost, but Yann amazed me by finding it in an obscure place no one else would have considered. That's the kind of person Yann is. That's the kind of personal attention he gives and caring he has for his guests.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mary Ann P
maraishouse, Owner at Marais House, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
We are always amazed to see how kind some guests are to take time off from their busy schedules to write favourably about us and their stays. It truly was a pleasure having this group of friends at the house and host a birthday drinks party for them and their friends staying at other accommodations in the city.
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I just got back from a great trip to Paris and Rome. I went with a good friend from college whose daughter is studying in Rome. Yann, our host at The Marais House in Paris, exceeded my expectations due to his caring and guidance. He helped us with cabs, maps, set out a lovely European breakfast in the most gorgeous stone room, beautifully appointed. We were welcomed for teas in the lowly lit and lavish living room decorated with floor to ceiling antiques. The elevator worked fine. The place was clean. We were toasty warm. The beds were comfy. I loved feeling like I was in a historic home rather than some new place in America. That's exactly what I wanted! I'm really looking forward to going back with my husband and grown daughters. I found the whole experience delightful and interesting. Thanks very much to Yann and his two adorable chocolate labs for such wonderful hospitality.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank pjgwalker
maraishouse, Manager at Marais House, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
We are incredibly fortunate to have the calibre of guests we do, it truly is more like receiving persons of ones acquaintance then actual strangers for the greater majority of our guests who rapidly seem to blend into the house's atmosphere and become part of it'sambiance. This of course is multiplied when many of our guests are repeat visitors, some yearly and others several times per year making it all so more comfortable when they return.

It always is a pleasure to see that some are able to take time to also be so kind in writing favourably about us.
London
Reviewed 18 October 2010

What could have been so very wonderful was so very irritating due to the owner and his attitude.

For the same price as the always spectacular Relais & Chateaux we tearfully handed over 400 Euros for a night spent in Paris prior to an early morning flight the next day.

His restaurant recommendation, having sneered at our own choices was nearby and that's about the extent of it's positives. It wasn't the restaurant's fault but it's cuisine was from the exact region that we live in even though we had stated we were looking for something different.

The house itself is very beautiful but I agree with a previous post, perhaps he should keep his business to photo shoots only as you do get the impression that ordinary folk are beneath him. So beneath him that our toilet wasn't even cleaned from the previous guest.

Regarding breakfast, we were told we would miss the occasion as we were departing at 9:30am, but then in the morning we were invited to an earlier breakfast at the request of another guest.

It was just a great big shame, the whole thing from start to finish and it could have been so wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CultureVulture88
maraishouse, Propriétaire at Marais House, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
We have absolutely no idea who these guests are or where they stayed, truly believing they to be confusing us with somewhere else.

First of all we do not understand the price quoted as it is not in our price structure. We also are not a Chateau Hotel as they seem to believe we to be (not being a chateau OR a hotel). Where do they get this from? Not us!

We also do not understand the reference to photo shoots, this is not what we do, we have indeed had a client who stayed with us and asked to use the house for a photo shoot. Why bring this up?

As for the toilet not being cleaned from the previous client. If this indeed was the case, wherever they were, why not complain about it immediately? Such a horrid discovery is something totally not acceptable; anywhere.

We certainly would have remembered such a legitimate complaint.

They claim that since they had an early flight we informed them they could not have breakfast, but write they did have breakfast here at nine thirty; which is in contradiction to an early flight. If one has an early flight one is not having breakfast in Paris at 9,30 when one needs to be at the airport two hours prior to flight time, counting half an hour to fourty five minutes to the airport; This would place their flight after twelve PM. Not exactly an early flight!

What totally throws us off is the claim that they were invited by other guests to have breakfast as guests are always amazed at how they feel as if they are alone staying at the house never seeing any one else.

Indeed the very few opportunities guests have to meet one another is at the breakfast table situated in the basement dinning room that one has to go out of their way to get to, so if these persons met other guests at 9,30 (in this house at least) it obviously was sitting at that very table having their breakfast. Where else would they meet guests?

What is puzzling is that after five years of experience we rarely have had anyone coming down for breakfast before ten thirty/eleven as guests seem to enjoy sleeping in.

As for the restaurant recommendation that was from their "region" which they did not want, Since 100% of our clients are foreign; what region is meant ? When asked we do give a list of restaurants within walking distance of the house however , reviewing it, all have French cuisine and non are foreign.

All of the above facts indeed bring us to one query and that is "Where did these unfortunate people stay".
sydney
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Yes this place is a little odd, and yes Yann is a little odd too, but this is the charm of The Marais House. Its a bit dusty but it is lavishly kooky at the same time. Yann is a real character and having a cup of tea with him on arrival is a definitely an added bonus. It's weird and wonderful, camp and crazy. Don't expect too much for breakfast unless you like eating cake and icing in the morning.
When it came to pay i had to get yann out of bed. I gave him the money and he didnt even count it.
gotta love that.

Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lumei
los angeles
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Yann is a lovely host and his antique collection superb. We stayed fro three nights in the celadon room may 21 to 23. The free wifi automatically connects. The skylight in the bathroom of the celadon is a nice touch. The celadon has a very small terrace that is nice on warm days. Elephant room is great as well. The studio by the entrance is convenient if you are going in and out a lot and hate stares. Have a great trip!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Just returned to South America after ten days staying at this wonderful home. I deliberately use the word home and not hotel as I definitely was made to feel at home in this brilliantly decorated accommodation dead center of Paris. All that is offered to ones eye is so very pleasant, I have been in flowers, have written several books on them and can safely say that I have never seen so many brilliant flower in a home. I can not even start to conceive the flower budget.

The owner could not be more amiable. I followed all his directions for restaurants (non of which I would have found on my own) that all were perfect. He also suggested museums I had never heard of before like the incredible Camondo museum.

My room was simply fantastic with a queen sized bed and a small terrace full of greenery and birds, yes in Paris. All walls and ceiling of the room are upholstered in fabric (as are all rooms that I eventuality managed to see when they freed up). Giving a cocoon feel to the rooms. The bathroom was perfect with incredible water pressure for Paris (not usual, at least to me). Breakfast could be had very late (from ten onwards) which places no pressure on having to make a dead line. It is served in the XVth century stone dinning room in the wine cellars.

I arrived on a very early flight to be at the hotel door by nine and my room was waiting for me at no extra cost, I was also allowed to check out late to make my early evening flight. So very nice to be able to not wonder the streets all day without a place to come back to before the airport. I was able to take a bath at five and be comfortable for my flight for Madrid to connect to my Santiago all night flight. These attentions are what make Marais House so very special.

This was like being an insider on Paris, something I had never felt. Bravo Maraishouse. The perfect niche.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo