“it's all about the LOCATION!”
Review of Hotel La Louisiane

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel La Louisiane
Ranked #1,313 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Melbourne, Australia
“it's all about the LOCATION!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

i've lived in paris a few times but on all my shorter trips or any time there are visitors we always use this hotel as it is in the BEST location and the most reasonably priced place given where it is. in the heart of the 6th, you walk out onto the bustling rue de seine with incredible bars, restaurants, a supermarket, divine bakeries and a neighborhood with so much personality. easy access to the metro to go anywhere else and within walkable distance to many other great areas. not fancy by any means, but clean and simple with internet and a lift. if you aren't hung up on fancy places, this one does the trick as other hotels in the area are just prohibitively expensive and la louisiane is always welcoming, comfortable and obliging.

Room Tip: If you have a fear of lifts, the lift is very small and the stairs quite steep so perhaps request a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Sarah H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I can't compare this to other hotels in Paris because it's the only place I stay in Paris and I have no desire to try any other. Don't stay here if you want a TV in your room or if you don't like the sounds of the city. Stay here if you want a good value and a clean, basic room in a great location with a wonderful history.

Previous guests (some of whom lived there for a time) include Jean Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Miles Davis, and the Rolling Stones, to name just a few. It's also the hotel featured in the 1986 Oscar winning movie "'Round Midnight".

By the way, I've no idea what building is pictured on TripAdvisor's Hotel La Louisiane web page but it's not La Louisiane. I've included a picture of the hotel with this review.

Room Tip: The best room is Room 19 on the second floor. This is where Miles Davis lived. It's one of thr...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank leapfrog01
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay but this hotel is definitely budget! The price was right but the room was old and dated, with stains and scuffs aplenty. There are no pictures on the walls and the plumbing is a bit old - the toilet was particularly smelly. My mum and I joked about the 'stain du jour' on the quilt each day - always a different colour but always there!

The room was very stuffy with no aircon so we had to have the windows open when we were there. Unfortunately the hotel is located on a noisy (and fun) street which made getting a good night's sleep a bit of a conundrum! Windows open was too loud, windows closed was too hot. We managed :)

The people at the desk were nice and helpful and the hotel is in a perfect location. I would not personally return but it is far from awful, so if you want a cheap hotel in a great location and you're not too fussy, then this hotel is for you!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Annie G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have stayed at the La Louisiane around six times. I rate this hotel as excellent, not so much for the way it looks, but for the price, cleanliness and location. It is €50/night less than even the other two-stars in the 6e. The rooms are barely furnished, but a bit larger than most two-stars. Even in the rooms rented as singles, the bed is large. Every room I have stayed in had a small refrigerator. The hotel is always clean, notwithstanding the likelihood that the carpet has not been replaced since Sartre lived there. The location is wonderful on a very attractive street in an area of Paris that still has a pre-Haussmann street plan. The staff has always been pleasant.

The negative do not bother me, but here they are. The word threadbare come to mind when describing the decor. The hallways are narrow, the elevator is slow, and the courtyard rooms are dark. The street side rooms are bright, but noisy. If you want a shower instead of a tub, you have to specify that when you reserve. The breakfast and breakfast room are nothing special, but again the price is less than at nearby hotels.

My wife will not stay there, but I will go back if I am alone. It is worth it to save the money.

Room Tip: This is a tough call. The street side rooms are bright but noisy. The light well rooms are dark, b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank TOC134H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I had stayed at La Louisiane many times over the years, and while it is not fancy, it had always been clean and pleasant, and well-located. On our last trip, everything was AWFUL! First of all, the elevator was broken and we had to lug our suitcases up two flights of stairs. Secondly, the Internet in the hotel was not working at all. We asked for a discount because of these two things, but they would not give us one. Then we got to our room and things went from bad to worse. The room was disgusting!! I expected it to be very small, which it was, but the sheets, blanket and mattress were all horribly stained. I asked to switch rooms and they were unbelievably rude and said the other rooms would be just the same. I spent the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. The mattress had springs which were poking me all night long, and I could not find a position to sleep in where they were not poking me. Everything was so filthy I didn't even want to touch anything.The next morning, I went down and said I couldn't stay there again and wanted to check out and could they help me find another hotel. They were incredibly rude, even ruder than they had been the day before (and I speak French so there was not a communication problem), and they said, "What do you expect for this price?" I told them I had stayed here many times before and it had never been like this. They told me they would NOT recommend another hotel for me (They actually said, "Why should we?") and told me to just go out and look as there were lots of hotels in the neighborhood. It was POURING rain, but since their internet was not working, I had no other choice. I found another hotel two blocks away that had no availability, but they we're extremely nice and helpful, and not only recommended the Hotel Relais St. Sulpice, they called them for me to check on their availability. We moved immediately. Although it was more expensive, it was worth every penny!! Located right next to the Church (St. Sulpice), it was charming, had an excellent location and they couldn't have been nicer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank eeschiff

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have been staying at La Louisiane since 1999. I consider it my "home" in Paris. Rooms are small but clean, staff is courteous. It's very, very simple. I continue to stay there because of the location--on the Rue de Seine, in the middle of everything! The area is filled with markets--from the supermarket and specialty food store across the street to the patisserie around the corner to the flower marketing on the Rue Buci. There are small refrigerators in each room, so if I don't feel like going out I can snack on a little cheese, bread and wine. Every morning I have coffee in the breakfast room and plan my day. And, when I return, I can have an aperitif at any of the wonderful little cafes nearby. I will be there again in June and I can hardly wait!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Kellispec
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

When we first entered our room I was very disappointed. The carpet was threadbare in areas, there was a hole in the curtain (which is made from fabric more akin to shower curtains) the ledges around the doors are fairly dusty, and it is dusty behind things.
HOWEVER, the location is great (we used the metro to arrive and to leave and walked the rest), the staff are polite, the towels are replaced every day with clean ones, the sheets are clean.
On balance if you if you are on a budget you get a clean bed to rest your wary head and a clean shower to wash in but you don't really want (or need) to spend any more time in your room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple