“Not for the faint of heart...”

Hotel Montana La Fayette
Ranked #1,742 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Not for the faint of heart...”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I booked this hotel off the internet from Australia, going by the pictures and the price. 'That was silly' I hear you shouting at your computer. Maybe, but because I was travelling by myself I thought it would be ok. Well it was ok, but that's all it was. I'm a big guy - over 6 foot and have eaten plenty of ice cream - and the room was just not made for a big guy. Also, it was a bit on the dirty side, and very worn with minimal comforts. Let's use the word practical to describe it.

I needed then wi-fi to work which was very touch and go (and wound up in trouble with my wife who was expecting my call when I arrived - she thought I was lost, but no, just trying to get the internet working with the manager!)

Overall, if you are just using it for a bed and not expecting any comforts then this is a good price and location. If you don't want to walk out the door in front of half of the Paris criminals, and would like a comfy pillow and bed that is wider than a bench seat, then I suggest looking elsewhere for a hotel. This is not for the faint hearted.

Regards, Ken Knox (3dcityexplorer.com)

Room Tip: Don't choose any if you're looking for a good room!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ken K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 May 2013

As most reviews say it all, the location is just unbeatable! 3 minutes walk to Gare Du Nord and Gare de L'Est and the wifi is working fine. Those are the only two plus points. Room is small and the lift is even smaller. You can't put one big luggage and one person together. I got a clean room with no air-conditioner nor heating working. It was a cold night. Toilet flush pipe is broken and i got a flood after the first business. Receptionists are rather rude (met 3 different ones and they are all the same attitude. Are they trained to be rude to guests?). They wouldn't call me a taxi at 4am. They just asked me to walk to the train station. Didn't even bother to try the breakfast. I'm sure there are similar price hotel in the same area that are nicer. This one doesn't deserve a second chance. Stayed in May 2013

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank jbdl

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed here for one night in order to catch an early morning train from Gare du Nord station. In terms of location, excellent for transport links. Room was very clean and the furniture in good condition, and a hairdryer supplied in the bathroom. Can't comment on wi-fi, didn't use it.
Apart from the above, my experience was rather negative. Although it was cold outside, I would expect inside to have been warmer than it was. I was on the fourth floor and there's only one little radiator in the room, which was on but not doing a great job of heating the room. The bathroom adjoining the bedroom was absolutely freezing, making any possibility of a shower crazy. Wouldn't have liked to try the towels anyhow, they were very hard, almost like sandpaper. The bathroom door wouldn't close either, adding to the coldness of the bedroom. A flatscreen tv provided in the room had no remote. So, not a great nights sleep in the cold, and no entertainment to wile away the hours.
Oh, and beware. There is the smallest elevator/lift I have ever seen. My size 10 frame and handbag took up the whole thing, so if you've luggage, forget it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank laura k
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I'm not very picky on this particular trip to Paris, as I just needed a place to stay for the night so I can make it to my train to Amsterdam the following morning. One, it's cheap, and two, it's about a three-minute walk to Gare du Nord train station. Of all the hotels near the train station, I possibly had picked the worst hotel to stay in. I stayed during the summer, and my room doesn't even have a fan, just a small window. I got bitten by bedbugs/gnats! I read from another site that a guest complained about this as well, so I know that I can't possibly have gotten this from the next hotel we stayed in. Don't stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Aida205
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I was choosing between 2 hotels to book. I chose Montana only because in the description there was written that I will have a hairdryer. Unfortunately, there wasn't but staff was able to find a solution and I could dry my hair in the morning.
I had a very small single room. It was impossible to close the bathroom doors.
The location of the hotel was good. It's just walking distance from Monmartre. Underground stations is very close too so it was very fast and easy to get to tourist attractions.
The hotel has free wi-fi which I really appreciated.
Not sure if I would like to come back here again or recommend it to anyone, but it was good enough to just to spend a couple of nights.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Midlands
Reviewed 5 October 2012

It was a last minute purchade and I was quite tired and emotional,at the time, but booking this place was the biggest mistake I've made since buying some shares in RBS before the banking crisis in 2008!
It really does pay to read TA before you book an hotel....and all hotel booking sites must take this one off the shopping list like yesterday!
We turned up at the Montana around 7-00pm and were shocked at the state of the reception area. To be honest we were itching before we even spoke to the guy who sort of greeeted us. We guessed he might have been the receptionist, but we're not sure.
After a slight communication problem (he couldn't find our reservation) he told us that there was a problem as they'd had to close the 6th floor....to be fumagated....and as our rooms were on this floor we'd been relocated to another hotel! What a relief!
See my next review.....

Room Tip: Don't even consider this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PoundMidlands
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2012

A friend and I traveled to Paris in 1993 and she made reservations at this hotel. When we got there it was totally derelict. The elevator didn't work well then and we were also placed on the 5th or 6th floor. I remember that there was an old stained (YUCK) mattress in the stairwell that we dragged our suitcases up and up and up.
When we saw the room / bathroom and how horrible it was, I told her I was not going to spend the night there. We tried to get part of our money back, but did not prevail. I don't remember the name of the small hotel we stayed in now, but the name of the Montana is etched forever in my mind.
I greatly enjoyed reading the reviews today!! Nothing has changed it seems!

Room Tip: Avoid booking this one at all costs!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business