“A value for money "Triomphe"”
Review of Phenix Hotel

Phenix Hotel
Ranked #1,363 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A value for money "Triomphe"”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

If you are looking for great "value for money" then this is it. Remember where you are as location is everything. If you fell out of bed then you would almost land on the Arc de Triomphe. The reception area is clean and bright and the staff welcoming and very helpful. The single lift just holds 2 people up very very close or 1 person and a case.

O.K. the corridors do look a bit on the tired side with the carpet a bit frayed in places and yes the bedrooms are on the small size and you might have to be a bit flexible sitting on the loo or getting in the shower cubicle. However, the room was cleaned with the beds made every day. Unless there is a blizzard outside you don't come to Paris to stay in the hotel.There is so much to see and do. Near by are some very nice inexpensive restaurants and it is great fun exploring the back streets off the Champs Elysees where prices are affordable! The hotel had everything we wanted as my son was running the Paris Marathon we only wanted a clean comfortable inexpensive place to stay - and we certainly found it!

Room Tip: a room at the back might be quieter but the road at the front is not busy so I cannot see a problem.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank malcolm a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

You only stay in your room to sleep whilst in Paris to much to do and see:-)

Fab location for Paris, 2 mns walk to CDG metro/rer/airport bus/Champs Elysees bliss. Easy walk to the Eiffel Tower and the Bateaux Mouche at the Seine.

For Paris rates its a gem, breakfast is continental no probs rooms are clean if basic staff very helpful and friendly rates are great for the location, go to Marriott or Charles V etc if you want to pay for 5* accomodation in the same area?

Lift is quaint two persons at a time! luggage optional! We had a room with a small balcony with double doors opening onto the street below very atmospheric.

Will be back so much still discover may need a # of vists to see them all!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor for a balcony to view the sounds of Paris.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank VinRouge79
Dolus-d'Oleron, France
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Just 2 minutes walk from the airport bus stop and 3 minutes walk to the top of Champs Élysées, this hotel is just perfect for a short stay in Paris. We stayed only one night and found the staff friendly, the room good enough. Breakfast was simple, but adequate. The price of our room was only 80euros and that is quite extraordinary at such a location.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FHN21
Veliko Turnovo, Bulgaria
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I stayed at the Phenix for five nights during a business trip. The hotel was recommended by the hosts because of the location - near the Arc and the Champs. The rooms are not very big but were enough for one person. Some of the other guests complained about the noise from the street but for me it was OK. The bathroom was really small but clean. The staff were friendly, answered all my questions. Breakfast was basic but enough.
As a whole I would recommend it to people who are on a budget. The truth is, I only slept there. After all you don't go to Paris to stay in ahotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Mir929
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 3 June 2008

I stay in Paris at least once a year, as I am a travel consultant and tourism instructor, and French is my native language. I had Emailed my credit card info to the manager months ago, and had received a written confirmation online, signed by "the manager" ,for 3 nights. My husband and I were returning from a 10-day whirlwind drive through Switzerland and France, and arrived at the hotel after returning our rental car, exhausted and loaded with luggage at 9 pm. The night man told us we had no reservation, refused to call the manager at home, finally did so to be told my reservation and credit card info were never received (although I was brandishing print-outs of their confirmation in my hand), etc. I had to call the police, who came immediately, but told me that although what the hotel did was absolutely dishonest and unprofessional, there was no police case as there was no crime committed (They had not charged my card). At that point the night attendant suddenly found out that a room might be available (for one night) at midnight because "a client might be leaving" but since they were booked for the next days, they would take pity on us and give us shelter (not free of course) for that night. To make a long story short, my husband and I walked around in the neighborhood another half hour (it was almost midnite by then), found another hotel nearby, and stayed there 4 nights at a higher rate. There are several small but clean hotels on the little streets between Avenue Carnot and Avenue MacMahon (an area which I prefer because of its proximity to the Air France Airport bus terminal at Etoile. Don't even try to reserve lodging at the Phenix, because they do not honor even written reservations, and you may well end up like us Sleepless and Roomless in Paris !

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank FranceSpecialist

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed 15 November 2007

There were 4 of us who stayed at the Phenix Hotel at the recommendation of a co-worker who stayed there several years ago. We should have checked with Trip Advisor to see other recommendations. We had 2 rooms on the 3rd floor. The lobby appeared very clean and gave no clue of the condition of our rooms. We knew this to be a budget hotel and didn't expect much. Safety and cleanliness was our main objective. The hotel is in a safe area, but cleanliness was just as important to us, and we were sorely disappointed. Both rooms were very substandard to say the least. The old furniture didn't bother us. Our disappointment was from the condition of the rooms. The hallway and the rooms stenched (carpet probably does not get cleaned regularly), shower curtains were old and mildewed with black spots all over. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would rather pay more to have a clean place to stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank SanJosean
Nevada
Reviewed 14 August 2007

We stayed here several years ago and I'm glad it is still getting good reviews. It is a bare bones hotel but clean andfriendly. Great location near the Arch de Triumph and just off the Champs'. It can't be beat for the money!

• Liked — Location - Price
  • Disliked — Small elevator
  • Stayed May 2003, travelled as a couple