“very good hotel and staff”

Hotel Residence Chalgrin
Ranked #1,515 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
New Delhi, India
“very good hotel and staff”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Its a very very nice hotel and very high class location. Everyhting is very good.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We stayed for 4 nights in Paris at this wonderful hotel. It was everything we hoped it would be... very Parisian! We felt like we experienced a little part of 18th century Paris. This hotel is perfect for couples wanting a romantic getaway. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated. The walls are a little thin (as expected from such an old building) so if you are a light sleeper take earplugs just in case. The hotel is only a few meters away from the metro station Argentine on line 1 which runs until late in the evening. It is only a few steps from lovely café's and one street away from a lovely bakery on Avenue de la Grande Armee which sells very tasty pastries and baguettes at a good price - a perfect place to pick up your morning coffee and supplies for the day. Next to the metro station is a lovely small grocery store staffed by two very nice guys which sell wonderful fresh fruit.
Hotel Chalgrin is a lovely place to come home to in the evenings after a long day sightseeing and is so well priced in such an expensive city. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyH0llander
Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I've traveled to Paris six times in the last 14 months, and all but one trip have stayed at the Hotel Residence Chalgrin - sometimes for as long as two weeks. Its a great place in a great location. The staff is helpful and friendly. After so many trips, whenever I return, I feel like I'm home. The staff greets me and makes me feel very welcome.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Cologne
Reviewed 11 February 2009

We stayed at the Chalgrin for two nights on a trip to Paris. It is a very nice place, old-fashioned in a cosy and inviting sense, situated in a fairly quiet (oneway) side road in the 16th Arrondissement, just a stone's throw away from the Arc de Triomphe.
The location is perfect, you will not have to call the metro your second home to explore the city. Metro station "Argentine", however, is only about 150 m away.
The room was quite large (for a hotel room in Paris) and very clean. Bathroom with soap etc., also hairdryer. Double room costs 86 Euros per night (single room 80 Euros), I don't think you will find a better place there, considering the price and location.
The 16e Arrondissement is a very good quarter of Paris, I didn't feel uncomfortable strolling around in the evening.
I went by car and found directions on the website helpful. Parking is possible but free only on weekends.
I will be back at the Chalgrin in spring, this time by train. Although I have to admit: driving around the Arc de Triomphe is a challenge for every non-Parisian...

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Alison3101
everywhere
Reviewed 21 December 2008

I was a regular customer and send them many other customers. Ive stayed there around 20 nights overall in a year for business and leisure purposes, during the last one they made me change room for 4 nights in a row, and one time even lost my luggage for an hour during this movements.

I booked a double room to go with my girlfriend, and when we arrived my room was changed to a single small without bathroom, because "they thought I was going alone"....They sent me to another Hotel, I wrote a letter to complain and the manager excused and gave me 2 free nights for my next stay.

I booked 4 nights last month, but my business trip was changed at the last minute, I called them immediatly to cancel 1 night, and what a shock when the manager yelled at me because of that, even asking me to find another hotel, and saying that my previous incident was fake so I won t have the 2 nights she promissed, very unpolite, and even hanged up the phone!!!

Now it s been more than 2 weeks since that happened, I m still waiting for an answer to my complain about it...More generally, good price, good location, but no elevator, very noisy rooms, terrible staff (the cleaning lady keeps asking for money, requests you to leave the room so she can clean the room and go home early...and once got into my room without knocking on the door and found me naked on the toilet, no excuses of course).

Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveler01174
Alcobaca, Portugal
Reviewed 19 November 2008

For 86 euros for night (a couple) I think that it did not find better.
The hotel is old but that's charming - seems a return to the "belle époque". Only penalty not to have elevator, what it is not problem in the morning but already is when we return fatigued at night. I advise to reserve room in 1º floor. We didn't eard noises from the street but the internal walls must be wooden: we can heard everything since the steps in the stairs to the talking of the room to the side. The localization is excellent: turn arround the corner and there it is the Arc of the Triumph. The night is guaranteed with the animation of the Champs Elysées and the Duplex ( a night club at 100mts). At 75mts you have the metro/RER exit (Argentine) and a little market/fruit shop
that stays open late night (midnigth) and that "gives a hand" when you want to save a few euros in snacks or if you forgot to take your tooth brush. The hotel does not have spaces to be outside of the room (big tv room, bar, etc) but when we go to Paris there's better things to do than staying at the hotel, right?

• Liked — The price
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
helsinki
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I was sadly dissapointed when I stayed in this hotel in september 2008. I had so much expectations after reading these reviews here and being suggested by even an intriguing article in a travel magazine.

Me and my friend booked 2 single rooms and asked for a quiet rooms which we were given accordingly. Our rooms were on top of each other and here's a review of my room; Little did I know that my room had only one small window to another old building and some pipes of the hotel building next to me. The WC and bathroom were two separated rooms and the toilet in my WC did not function. Apparently there was a small nut I had to turn to give some water and air to the bottom of the toilet and then flush. Sometimes it flushed well and sometimes it didn't. The room was okay size for one person, but everything looked like rather worn out and waiting to be renewed. In my friends room the shower doors wouldn't stay on their place and during shower they let water everywhere the bathroom and he had to always look when watering himself so that the water didn't sprinkle allover the bathroom. The beds were comfortable, but the mattress and the linen and especially the towels were VERY OLD (grey and not even ironed). I wish I had brought my own towel with me. They had soap and shampoo in the bathroom and the soap was said to be softening soap, but instead was prpably the most drying soap I've ever used. The television had about 15 channels and only 5 of them was available for a clear picture. These very same problems my friend had in room a floor below me. Also due to the fact that the building is old and they want to save it because its history, it has also thin walls. When people open their doors or walk down the stairs. You can hear them extremly well, like they would be opening your door even though they are in the different floor.

So, what was good? well I could not hear a single sound during night. It was so quiet that it got spooky to sleep there. My shower was rather large showercabin that worked very well and the reception staff was older aged but very accommodating. The location is great, just behind Arc Triomphe and Champs Elysee, but I would stay further and pay less to get a more descent room from a less expensive area. I paid 70€ night when booked directly from their website in french language. I could have paid 75e/night for a doubleroom and get the room you see in the first pictures here where the rooms are more lovelier. I asked to be switched to a doubleroom and willing to pay whatever it cost, but of course they were fully booked.

They categorize themselves as a 1 star hotel. That's what it is. But do they say it anywhere until you get to the room or to the reception? No.

I won't be staying here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room itself
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends