“you get what you pay for”

Residence De Bruxelles
Ranked #1,584 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 25 November 2013

stayed in this hotel for one night single rooms very small so booked a double room for myself, bed was comfortable, watched a movie in english, paid 60 euros for the night , very good when 500 yards up the road nearer the eurostar station the asking price for a double bed was 240 euros. you get what you pay for

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bernard m

Reviewed 11 October 2013

we stayed at this hotel thinking its close to gare du nord. its a very basic hotel but not even worth for the money we paid. To begin with, they mention they have a elevator in booking.com and it only operates in another adjacent building. it wont operate to the final floor you are staying. there a always good 30 or more steps to take after going in the lift to each floor. it was a complete lie about the availability of the lift.
Major issue we are currently faced with is that hotel has charged us TWICE - when we arrived at the hotel, our credit cards have been already charged but we didnt know as booking.com confirms we pay "only during our stay". At the time of booking and as well as at the time of check-in they charged our credit. Woman who was at the reception was rude and should have checked if they have done a charge previously before charging at check-in point. We were travelling right through out we were not aware of the previous charge. Now the hotel does not even have the courtesy to refund the charge, and now for soo many weeks , they have been delaying to refund this charge with various excuses. We have informed booking.com and still no - reply. DO NOT BOOK this hotel, They rip you off. Its a family run business no professionalism. EURO 6 for Breakfast was useless too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank HARSHINI C
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We chose this hotel as we were looking for a cheap and cheerful place to stay whilst we spent a few days in Paris.

First of all, the 'bar' that they advertise does not exist and do not expect too much from the breakfast...

When we initially arrived, we wanted a shower after the flight, but the shower in our bathroom was broken. We informed management who moved us to another room...with exactly the same issue. After speaking again with management, they then promised to fix the shower in the second room and suggested we use the shower in a third(!) room whilst they do so (for some reason we were not able to stay in this third room).

These are just minor issues - The real problem occurred overnight:

I woke up the following day and my face felt very sore. Looking in the mirror I saw that my face, chest, neck and arms were all swollen, red and covered in bites!

After complaining to management, they were apologetic but advised that it must just be the heat... the cleaner then came to check the room and begun to change the bedding. Several 'bugs' fell out of the bedding at this point but she just gathered them up! Luckily I had taken photos and have since looked them up and they are definitely bed bugs.

There was no way we could stay another night as my skin was bad enough - Although the management still refused to take responsibility for the infestation, they eventually agreed to refund us the remainder of our stay, but would not give us anything in writing to confirm this.

Stupidly, we trusted them and left for the other hotel. We since called a few days later as nothing had appeared in my account, but they advised it can take up to 5 working days, which our new hotel confirmed.

It has now been two weeks since that night and I have still not received a refund. Whilst in Paris I had to get cream and tablets from the Pharmacist for the bites. My skin was very painful and itchy and I was very self-conscious throughout the trip, particularly as it was also on my face and very apparent.

Having arrived home, the bites have gone down, but i still have scarring which is taking a while to disappear. The hotel are ignoring my calls and emails and are obviously hoping i will give up, which leads me to believe i am not the first person to ask for a refund.

Please do not stay in this hotel, it is in a disgusting state and the management are appalling. I have photos of my skin but thought best not to inflict them on the world...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Catherine J
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We are all guided by our expectations and not knowing what to expect. The room (6) was as described by someone else. However, for $750 australian dollars for a week, one might expect more than they could offer. The area was full of men standing around and often trying to sell mobile phones, or corn cobs cooked by a portable brazier which was transported in a shopping trolley. Not many french speakers, let alone English from the hotel staff. The staff always seemed to be busy with the man standing at the desk! Indifferent is how I see it,but this attitude seems to be normal. I saw no mice, but the room was clean but small - just for sleeping and showering. Still, the "complet" sign was up for the whole week, so someone must like it here. Maybe non-discerning locals up for a trip from the provinces. Or people like me who saw the photos and thought that it may be ok. It is ok , but get in and out quickly to visit other areas and attractions.

Room Tip: Number 6 is clean and out the back above an inner courtyard. No train noise but prone to echoes from...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael A
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Arrived at barbes train station and had to walk 100m to hotel through a very busy male dominated area. Was quite confronting as the men continuously made remarks to us as we walked past - do not recommend for female travellers.
On arrival the owner had double booked our room and gave us keys to someone else's room. Problem was fixed and we finally got a room. We paid 18€ a night and when we tried to book an extra night owner charged me 58€. When I asked for refund he was very rude, slamming things down on the counter and swearing. He finally refunded me after 5 minutes of arguing.
Worst thing about the place was the BED BUGS. Me and my friend woke up after the second night covered in itchy red welts and they are still on us 3 days later. When we told owner he denied it and said it was from the 'heat' definitely was not the heat!!!! We now have to wash our entire bags of clothing to ensure they do not spread.
Overall it was the worst hostel I have stayed at - do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Not that bad, it was pretty noisy in the hotel so bring earplugs if you want to sleep undisturbed! The staff spoke very good english and they were nice enough. We used the hotel only for sleeping and showering and worked just fine for that purpose. You get what you pay for!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Ok, reading the reviews below I was worried, very worried!!!! In the ghetto, rude manager, denied booking...good lord I didn't think we stood a chance... but here is our experience.

Leaving the Gare du Nord we took an exit that led us through an area that I would describe as being multicultural and very male dominated the latter of which can seem to a woman a little menacing however, we were very much on guard wherever we went in Paris (besides la defense) and we saw no reason to be unduly worried (i was more concerned in the tube stations and in fact saw at least 2 pick pockets arrested and witnessed a woman stolen from in the centre). We arrived at the hotel and booked in with ease, the main areas were clean and it did not seem anything out of the ordinary. The manager spoke to us in French but hey we were in France! Our room was on the second floor (room 6) and on entering we were greeted by fresh new wooden flooring, fresh paint work, clean bedding and what seemed to be a new clean bathroom (the shower enclosure door was a little loose at the top, but so far so good). A small flat screen was mounted on the wall. We were booked in for bed and breakfast but did not see a need to get up early and partake so unfortunately we cannot comment. The hotel offers free WiFi that was easy to use and despite a few drop offs was good enough. Inside the hotel itself the main problem was the others guests who were horrendously uncorteous coming in at 4am is acceptable, having a normal/above normal conversation is not, its just plain rude! Every day we came back to a beautifully straight and tidy room. The cleaner was lovely, the rest of the staff curteous. We can only comment and our experience however and we are not in any was disputing the other travellers reviews. The area itself like I say is not desirable but we found a quick cut through to another entrance to gare du nord which was literally minutes and took you to all the bars totally avoiding the way we came in! As you come out of the door turn left go to the second zebra crossing cross over and walk pretty much straight. You can see the lights from the bars in front of you. One pub worth a visit or three is The Hideout by La Station, awesome food, free bands at happy hour 6.30 - 22.00 £3.50 a pint!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple