“Mixed feelings”
Review of Tipi Hotel

Tipi Hotel
Ranked #1,596 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The hotel is well located: between Montparnasse station and Denfert Rochereau, it is very easy to take the train, the RER or the subway.
We styed in the hotel for four nights. The welcome was pleasant.
Initially, we had the room n°9, but the window was on the street where there were bars (with live music), nightclub and restaurants...so we asked for another room, which was given to us after one night. Then we were accomodated in the room n°17 (4th floor with lift ;-)). The rooms are a bit small but quite pleasant, particularly the n°17. Finishing were not perfect (particularly in n°9) but it was OK. The hotel seems to have been refurbished recently, so rooms were confortable. Personnaly, I did not enjoy the mattress and pillow... to soft for me.
We did not have our breakfasts at the hotel: too expensive compare to what is proposed in the brasseries around!
Personnel was very kind and efficient.
In conclusion, the stay was OK, not more.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute because our other accommodation was cancelled on us due to some kind of water problem. So I was already a bit disappointed as this was already further out of the city than the place we originally had lined up.

But having said that, once we got there I was really happy with the location. It's in a nice street with plenty of patisseries and restaurants, little shops, and cafes. It's really close to the Metro and RER train lines, and just a short walk from a huge department store (galleries lafayette).

It's true that the rooms are a little bit ordinary, but then, for the price you pay it's actually pretty good. It's a basic room with a bed and a small bathroom. It's not the best design as the doors kept hitting the furniture, and there's not much room if you have heaps of luggage, but you really only go there to sleep, the rest of the time we were out seeing Paris.

Originally I thought the location was a bit far away from everything, but like London, there is a great underground network making it cheap and easy to get everywhere.

The staff were all very friendly and made an effort to speak english where possible. The only major complaint I had is that the walls are PAPER thin! Normally wouldn't bother me, but when the couple next door seem to be on an overly romantic weekend getaway, it becomes kind of annoying if you catch my drift!

Otherwise, I'd probably stay here again if I was looking for cheap Paris accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glennb17
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I booked this hotel over the internet prior to arriving because it appeared to look clean and comfortable in the photos.

What a disappointment. Once you leave reception it's pretty old and rickety with narrow stairs and a tiny lift.

In our room the shower wasn't even attached to the fitting, just hanging in space. They had no other room for that night so put up with it.

If you are going to stay here get it checked out first if possible or better yet, don't hand over any money until you have seen the room you will be staying in.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KiwisCanDo
Reviewed 29 November 2011

You get what you pay for and I would stay again. It's a small, low budget Hotel but thats all we needed and a great find as everywhere in Paris seems so expensive. It could probably do with a lick of paint but then you wouldnt get such a good price as it's in a good part of Paris. The staff were friendly, beds clean and we could come and go as we needed. The self service breakfast suited us well. I would would say the Tipi Hotel is a great find for a short stop-over or long weekend if you want to experience Paris and not spend all your budget on a room.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Overall I was happy with my stay at this hotel. It is located in a good neighbourhood, lots of restaurants, close to the Metro (Gaite and Raspail stops are not far) and close to the Denfert Rochereau station for both the Metro and the RER that runs to CDG. This is not a touristy area, it is a residential one, and you do get a sense of life in the city.

Staff were very helpful when needed. The room was a twin, small, but big enough for what was needed. This room was on the front, facing the street. If you have difficulty with street noise, earplugs may be useful. It isn't all that noisy a neighbourhood, but the sounds are magnified and echo between the buildings some, especially late when they stand out more from the silence. I didn't find it a problem, but some might if they are located on the front.

I stay in Paris a lot, and would stay here again. As many others have commented though, the WiFi is hopelessly slow. I had better connection at the McDonalds a few blocks away (the only reason for a visit to McD's in Paris). You can do better than this choice, but you can do a whole lot worse.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Bryan G
Reviewed 20 February 2011

The rooms were small, but with shower/wc and clean.
The staff was great, very helpful and speaks english (!)
It was very close to metro and police station.
Good hotel to stay a few nights.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Well, the price was relatively low, so you can say that you got what you paid for. It is far from the subway and bus stops. Be if you want stay at this hotel, make sure you are ready to walk.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business