“Decent hotel”

Ranked #365 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Lillesand, Norway
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is decent by my standards. Nothing extraordinary, but has everything you need. Ok location. There is a great bakery around the corner for breakfast, as the hotel-breakfast is a rip-off at 17 euro. Friendly service. Quiet area, good quality sleep. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndyCappNorway
lavillathena, Directeur général at Villathena, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
First of all, many thanks for having taken the time to leave a comment on T.A.
We hope that next time you’ll come to Paris, we’ll excel ourselves to make your stay unforgettable.
Very best regards,
The General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Antibes, France
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Bit of change for us since we usually prefer to stay in Le Marais but this hotel was very convening for the Roissy airport bus and of course the department stores! What we hadn't appreciated was how close it was to Pigalle and many of the theatres as well as a good selection of Italian restaurants. Nice room and comfortable bed but agree entirely about wifi - very temperamental so glad only staying one night. Only minor complaint was that young man on reception the evening we arrived was very miserable - the kind of service that gives Paris a bad name with tourists! No attempt to help with bags or welcome us on a very cold and wet evening. The night porter however was lovely and smiley.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maggie040
lavillathena, Directeur général at Villathena, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Maggie040,

First of all, many thanks for having taken the time to leave a comment on T.A.
We are glad that globally you enjoyed your stay in our hotel but regret that the replacement staff who welcomed you at your arrival had not the professional conscience than the rest of our team.
We hope to see you again the next time you’ll come to the City of lights.

Regards,

The Management
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel is right around the corner from my office so I gave it a go. I found it to be clean, quiet and comfortable - the mattress is a winner. I was particularly impressed with the attentiveness (and friendliness) of the staff who were happy to grab me an iron and ironing board at whatever hour I asked for it. I've found Paris hotels to be on the pricey side but this one - whilst not cheap - is certainly better than some of its more established peers.

Room Tip: Avoid the one on opposite reception...ask for higher floors and a room facing away from the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
lavillathena, Directeur général at Villathena, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you so kindly for the most generous posting on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. It is a real pleasure to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us. The comfort of our rooms as well as the quality of service is at the premium of our concern. We are constantly working on it in order to satisfy our guests.

We really hope to see you again soon at the Villathena hotel.

Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with Mom and Aunt. We had a 3 bed room with one big king size bed and a twin bed. The room was small but manageable, also very clean and modern decorated. We didn't get the breakfast because it was too expensive at €17 so we went across the street for croissants and coffee. The hotel is very close to the St. Lazare train station, nice shopping stores nearby like the Galeria Lafayette and Printemps. The staff were very nice and helpful. My only complaint is the breakfast is too expensive, the small glass wall on the bath tub gets water all over the floor, no coffee machine in the room. Overall was a very good hotel and I would recommend it to other travellers.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor looking to the street and it was fine. Only heard the garbage trucks one...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dghauser
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We thank you very much for having taken the time to leave a comment on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased that you appreciated your family stay in our hotel. Glad as well that you liked our location and the design of the room.

We have noted your comments about the room equipment. We kindly invite you to have a look at our EXECUTIVE rooms for your next stay; as they are bigger and do have a coffee machine inside. It could meet better your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon and we remain at your entire disposal if your have any requirement,

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Booked this room via my corporate portal so no idea how that goes for others but I have to say the hotel is really nice.

As others have said, the staff are not snooty about English speakers. They do their best to answer you in English, although you might have to speak slowly (not a problem for me as I can't seem to learn French so what ever I can do to help :) ).

The location is really good. The RER/Metro station is just a block away (although depending on what line you need you might end up walking a LONG way in the station) and there's a cafe (although a bit pricey) on the corner. Printemps (shopping), The Opera (think 'Phantom'), Hediarrd, Fauchon are all less than .5 miles away.

I had breakfast just one morning--croissant, bread, butter, jam, yogurt, brie (yay!) and cold cuts were set out. You can order eggs if you would like but I'm not sure if the hot breakfast costs more.

I didn't like the Wifi though, I have to admit. I am traveling for business and don't have an international data roaming plan so I rely on the wifi when ever and where ever I can get it. While the wifi was free with the room, the signal was intermittent. One of my colleagues actually lost his signal so much he went down to the lobby to work (he was on the 4th/5th (USA floor #) along with me. While the signal on my laptop wasn't too bad, it was my phone that bothered me the most. Unlike a lot of US hotels (and even my London hotel on this trip) they do not keep you logged into the network when you are not using your device. So, you have to log on again and again. That wouldn't be so bad but the signal kept dropping so my phone didn't even see the network sometimes for hours.... I suppose they should boost the signal but not sure if they can in buildings like this...

I stayed in room 408 that faced the inner courtyard. Thursday night it was quiet but Friday and Saturday I had to sleep with ear plugs in. Not sure what was going on but judging by the beer and wine bottles i saw the next morning, I would say Paris had a bit of steam to blow off...

They do have AC/heating but it's seasonal. While I was in Paris it got up to the high 60s but the heat was on so I had to turn that off and open the windows--hence the issues with the noise.

Room Tip: I had room 408. Beds were soft and comfy. Ample closet space and good power plug placement. Although...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank latech1977
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We appreciate your comments posted in October on TripAdvisor regarding your stay in our hotel. It is always really helpful for us to have your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the breakfast as well as the location of the hotel.

We really regret the issue you faced with the internet network. In fact, the wifi terminal saturated those days. Be assured that it has been fixed quickly afterwards.
Despite the double glazed window, it truly occurs sometimes disturbing noises from the streets. As we say in France, Paris is a city which never sleeps! For your next stay in our hotel, please feel free to ask for a courtyard side room, in order to prevent any possible noise.

Hopeful to have you with us when next visiting Paris

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just two blocks from St. Lazare train station and the Metro where several lines meet. There are many basic local places to eat nearby but has a great deal of traffic and noise. This is a major commuter station and for trains to Normandy. We had problems with the a/c. It kept turning off in the middle of the night and I woke up too hot. It would turn back on in the morning so maybe it was for saving energy. Our room was a nice size for Paris and even had a separate wet bar area but we may have paid a little extra for that room. The staff were all very nice.

Room Tip: We had interior room. The window opened into a small courtyard with no view but quite. The street...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mike o
Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for letting us know your feelings. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and that you appreciated the quality of service and the location of our hotel.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the air conditioner, it should have been a temporary technical issue that we fixed in the meantime.

We really hope to see you again soon at the Villathena hotel.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Our first hotel was awful, so we walked in here and they were so sweet and helpful. Showed us the room ahead of time, spoke with the manager and two ladies at the front. Very clean, great windows. In walking distance to everything. It feels safe, haven't had the breakfast yet :)

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you so kindly for the generous posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us. It is really nice to see that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. It is true that the location of the hotel and cleanliness of the rooms are two major points for the satisfaction of the guests. That is why we are permanently working on it.

We would be glad to welcome you soon so that you can try our wonderful breakfast,