“Poor customer service”

Mercure Paris Terminus Nord
Ranked #1,128 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel 3 nights, the room was fine, nothing special, without a view..but fairly clean and in decent condition. The second night a terrible racket came from somewhere in the building it sounded like a problem with the heating (which was noisy in the first place) it was about 4 am loud screeching and I nearly got a heart attack. it kept going for a while until I heard someone stomping in the room over mine and hit something very hard. I didn't complain at the time...these things happen in old buildings. At the check out the young man at the desk asked me about my stay, so I mentioned the incident above, he stopped at mid-flow and told me that I am wonderful, you know beautiful....I had to ask him to repeat what he was saying (I am not by the way) after I finished what I was saying and he said I should have come to reception to tell them (at 4 am in my pjs?) and he said he will upgrade me next time I came....and as I was leaving he said to 'stay sweet'...unbelievable... I have never felt so patronised in my life! I will probably complain to the hotel directly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Donatella P
Jean-Louis D, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Donatella,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to advise of your recent stay at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord.

I was very disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion, I do extend it with all sincerity. This level of service is certainly not acceptable and will be addressed with the concerned party. Regarding this matter, I would like to discuss further with you offline. I can be reached at jean-louis.descoins@book-inn-france.com or directly by phone +331.42.80.82.30.

We will be in contact to discuss further with you. Again, please accept my apology, and I hope that this hasn’t put you off a return stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights 28th feb-2nd Mar for my birthday weekend. Arrived at 10am, 4 hours before check-in and were able to leave our bags and go off to explore Paris. The hotel is literally across the street from Gare du Nord and the entrance to the metro is 5 feet from the entrance to the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were all wonderful and couldn't do enough to help. We got a free upgrade to a lovely room plus a welcome drink in the bar (excellent wine) and staff were more than happy to give directions and point things out on our map.
There are a number of family owned restaurants about, and a lovely one two doors to the left of the hotel that was cheaper than some places back in the UK but much nicer! Prices in this area are also a lot cheaper than Central Paris as it isn't a particular tourist area.

As others have commented the area can seem a bit dodgy. But that is due to it not being a particularly tourist area (other than when arriving/leaving the station), so just be wary as you would anywhere.

Sacre Cœur is within walking distance of the hotel, as is Moulin Rouge. Everything else is a few stops on the metro! It's the perfect location.

The room was lovely. Clean, spacious, comfortable with a large bed, desk, tv, and bathroom with bath/shower. Those complaining about having a room overlooking the inner courtyard - we had one of those rooms and thought it was perfect. You are guaranteed a decent nights sleep as Gare du Nord is busy at all hours so a back facing room was a nice touch.

Breakfast had plenty of options from pancakes to a cooked buffet, plus croissants and meats, cheeses, breads, muffins and fruit. The buffet wasn't to my taste but there was always something to suit everyone with lots of choice.

We had a late train back to London and the hotel was more than happy for us to leave our luggage on check out at 11am and collect prior to us leaving at 8pm in the evening which allowed us one full day in Paris without worrying about lugging bags everywhere.

Overall, if we ever come back to Paris (which I hope we will!) we will absolutely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Mercure Paris Terminus Nord for your birthday weekend and for sharing your hotel experience with others here on TripAdvisor.
We love to read that you enjoyed our convenient location and our helpful staff !

We thank you for your compliments that have been shared with the entire team.

We would be pleased to welcome you again for your next trip in Paris (hopefully very soon!).

Reviewed 6 March 2014

A lovely hotel with excellent position, being across the road from Gare du Nord.
Staff were very helpful. Room was clean and a good size. Bathroom, larger than ave.
Doorman/porter Mouloud, made the holiday by giving us excellent advice on using the Metro and train services. Buses and Metro were straight in front of the hotel.
Very good breakfast- hot and cold alternatives.
Restaurant was wonderfully French - a little expensive but excellent food.
A great city break!

Room Tip: Rooms were quiet considering the location of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jean-Louis D, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Rosemary,

Thank you for leaving your feedback on your stay with us here on tripadvisor.

We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed our excellent position and the advices of our great bell man Mouloud. He is in fact always pleased to help our guests by any ways he possibly can.

We thank you for your compliments that have been shared with the entire team and hope to have you back soon with us.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My partner and I stayed here to celebrate our engagement. The hotel was amazing. The staff were very friendly and the location was perfect. We were right opposite Gard du Nord and just next to the bus stops. I'd recommend purchasing a "hop on hop off" bus ticket before your arrival as you are able to see all the sights and get free transport all day! The breakfast at the hotel was lovely and if you request a room with a street view then the views are amazing. I would definitely come back here and woukd recommend it to anyone :)

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear guest,

First of all the team joins me to congratulate you and your fiancée for your recent engagement!

Also thank you very much for choosing our hotel to celebrate this occasion.
The fact that you mention that the hotel was “amazing” means a lot to us!
We love to read that you enjoyed our friendly staff and the view from your room !

We thank you for your compliments that have been shared with the entire team and also thank you for your recommendations.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

came in by train from London and straight into the hotel. just across the street from the station. very good access to the metro , just outside the hotel. lots of food options open till late at night. felt safe walking around after sunset. room was nice and clean. comfortable bed. toilet is pretty small. but not tiny. there is a lift going to the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank satish_quintal
Jean-Louis D, Directeur général at Mercure Paris Terminus Nord, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Satish,

Thank you for leaving your feedback on your stay with us.

We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed our “just across the street” location and your comfy bed.

We hope to have you back soon with us.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I came here with my girlfriend (at the time) for 3 nights from England, the hotel itself is situated wonderfully just outside of the Gare De Nord train station with less than a minute from the foyer you are literally at the metro. Hotel room was fantastic, everyone complaining about "cracks" needs to wise up, it's a crack, it's hardly going to put you off your daily routine unless you are quite literally just looking for flaws.
Staff were always pleasant, me and my then girlfriend were always treated with respect and the manners were lovely, a breath of fresh air as we are both limited in our French so communication was easy :)

Breakfast was lovely, it's basically all you can eat and the choice is great, continental or the choice of a full English, various coffees/teas as well as loads and loads of fruit.
I'm happy to tell you that my then girlfriend is now my current Fiancee as i proposed and luckily she accepted haha (god help her!)

All in all a wonderful hotel and we had a fantastic time, we will be booking again for a few days in the summer! Thank you som much for your hospitality, We couldn't have wished for a better setting to a fantastic trip!

Craig & Rebecca.

Room Tip: Room 255 was lovely, views are limited but what are you doing staring out a window when you should b...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Craig & Rebecca,

First of all the team joins me to congratulate you and your fiancée for this great news!

Also thank you very much for sharing your hotel experience you had with us here on TripAdvisor.
The fact that you mention that you had a fantastic time in our “wonderful hotel” means a lot to us!
We love to read that you enjoyed our continental breakfast buffet !

We thank you for your compliments that have been shared with the entire team and look forward to welcome you again a few days during the summer.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

The room was really small..but it was cozy. I really loved the view from our room.. down onto the street facing the terminal. I thought it was very pretty. That was my first time in Paris, and it was very nice.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Hotel Mercure Paris Terminus Nord for your first trip in Paris.

We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your cozy room and the view facing the station building.

We hope to have you back soon with us.