Splendid Hotel
Mercure Paris Bastille Marais(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$171
US$165
Mercure
US$158
US$148
Hotel Astoria - Astotel(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$243
US$183
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Kyriad Hotel Paris Bercy Village(Paris)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$108
Priceline
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 April 2012

There are two Splendid Hotels in Paris. This thread is for the one at 54 Rue Fondary, which is no where near the Eiffel Tower. Many of the positive reviews are for the better class Splendid Hotel located at 29 Avenue de Tourville, which does have views of the Tower.

I unfortunately was traveling as part of a group which booked us at this ratty hotel (54 Rue Fondary). Although I usually stay in 4-5 star hotels, I knew that group travel arrangements would be at a more moderate hotel. However, I think the person who booked this hotel must have confused it with the other Splendid because it wasn't even a clean establishment.

Upon check-in, I had to remove the stained bedspreads due to the stench and stuff them in the armoire. A used wad of bathroom tissue was found disintegrating by the radiator. Even the common areas (stairs, hallways) were filthy and stained.

As for comfort, the linens were the worst I've ever experienced and there were no pillows on the bed -- just an odd neck roll somehow constructed out of the sheets. I'm fairly certain the hand towel in the bathroom was some sort of miniature rug.

Room keys were attached to a giant buoy-looking device which you were expected to leave in the cubby-hole behind the desk whenever you left (which means anyone had access to your room and your belongings). The maid looked like a gypsy. Need I go on?

I imagine the disgruntled Indian family who run this place survive via confusion with Paris's other Splendid hotel. No one in their right mind would stay at this dirty hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank JenLee02
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is a 2 star hotel with a similar name, not far away on Rue Fondary, just off Rue Commerce next to the Emile Zola metro station. It is definitely a two star hotel - small room, old / worn bed and needs redecorating, however it is clean and a lot cheaper than many other Parisian hotels and you get what you pay for! It is on a quiet street and also in a good location within easy walking distance of the Eiffel tower, Les Invalides and the Musee d'Orsay and, as it is less than five minutes' walk to Metro stop La Motte-Piquet Grenelle, is well connected and easy to get to. The streets round about have a nice atmosphere and lots of shops and there is a fantastic restaurant just round the corner - Cafe du Commerce - which is definitely worth a visit.
We turned up at the wrong Hotel Splendid, having booked at this one (the other one does look nicer) and be warned - some other travellers have posted up photos here which are definitely of the other hotel Splendid!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edinburger_11
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My father and I were in Paris for one night, and we had originally booked another hotel (Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche) and upon arrival we were told that there had been a leak and a bunch of the rooms were out of use. We were kind of pissed off that they couldn't have let us know before hand, but they sent us to this hotel. (We told them that they should pay the taxi fair to this hotel, and well, you know the french, they don't listen to americans, so that was a little hassle. The taxi driver was pissed off when we didn't pay and he didn't understand that he should go and have the other hotel pay.) Anyway, we weren't looking for anything fancy, but this hotel was definitely a downgrade from the one we booked, and I probably would never have booked it in the first place. But we were already there and needed a place to stay and it was in the same area, so I sucked it up for one night. But it was like jumping back to 1995, and it still would have been old. And disgusting. The beds were horrible and all the linen, the bathroom was pretty clean but I couldn't imagine using the towels there, and I slept in so many clothes because I didn't want the sheets to touch my bare skin. We were on the second floor with windows facing the street and I just saw the Subway restaurant across the street. The windows were typical cute french windows that you could open like balcony doors, but again, you know the french, everything stinks of smoke there, so it didn't really help. The computer downstairs just froze and took all my money. We didn't have a flight the next day until late in the evening and we asked to store our bags, and they told us to put them in the sitting area in the lobby!!! I couldn't believe it. Luckily I didn't have anything valuable, otherwise I would have had to drag my suitcase through the whole city. Completely unacceptable. But thankfully they weren't stolen.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank tha50
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed for a week at this hotel, where one room we had had views of the Eiffel Tower - which we kept checking each night before bed!! Love the light shows! Woken up each morning to the smell of freshly baked croissants...what a great way to start your days in Paris!! Handy to several Metro stops, so you can go just about anywhere! Lots of local shops, as it is not a real touristy area, great for getting your own croissants, etc
Breakfast is extra, but noticed a few people went and got their own in the mornings!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Pros:
concierge - very helpful, avail 24 hours, fluent & excellent Enlgish
near the Eiffel Tower about 15-20 minute walk
Cons:
small room, smaller than typicall Europe rooms
outdated