“Very pleasant hotel and staff”

Best Western Hotel Mercedes Arc De Triomphe
Ranked #874 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Clun, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant hotel and staff”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel mercedes last week and had a very pleasant stay, the staff were very helpful and friendly. And a special thanks to Tulina behind the desk for getting our tours of the city organised and suggesting some great places to go out and eat. Its only a 10-15minute walk straight down the road to the arch de-trium (pardon my spelling!) and a further 15minute walk to the eiffel tower, so is in a great location. Highly recommend this hotel if your in Paris.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 15 November 2013

While visiting Paris together with my daughter and 5year old grandson, we stayed in Best Wetern Hotel Mercedes, the one very close to the center. Upon arrival we were offered a room on the 7th floor where the bed was elevated and one would have to climb up quite a step steps. And the toilet seat was cracked (see the picture) and the cleanness was not 100%, there were dried water spots on the tiles. We asked for a room exchange and we were complied.
The next day purchased tickets for the concert Hilary Hahn. We asked reception to book a taxi for us and we agreed with the driver that we would pick up us after the concert. Since my grandson was tired, we had to leave earlier, so my daughter called the taxi driver’s mobile to see if he could come earlier, however, he was switched off and unavailable. Walking at night, with the little sleeping child in my arms, we stopped the first passing taxi. And that was only beginning; the hotel receptionist caused another very unpleasant experience; at one o'clock at night he called us and put through the unavailable taxi driver who yelled on the phone and threatened to call police and report lost profit if we would not pay 23 euros. After this entre, my daughter went down to the reception very angry, that the receptionist would have reveled identity of the hotel guest during a deep night.
The receptionist very careless said that he did not care what the business was between us and the taxi driver as that he was not present our discussions. In order to avoid any inconveniences during upcoming stay, my daughter told the receptionist she would paid the amount but would post this entire situation published on Tripadvisor . Only that information kicked little on the receptionist; he called the taxi driver (it was obvious then that he knew him, as she had his phone number) and negotiated 15 euros for my daughter to pay. The next day we complained to a hotel manager – who apologized but would not mention nor admit a mistake on the hotel staff side – staff neglectfully disclosing guest identity and not acting in the guest interest. We were very upset and this episode was very unpleasant experience during our stay. We just felt very unsecure in the hotel; we will never again stay in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Magdalena Z
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in more luxurious places, but this was a very nice hotel. Great location, great value, and very friendly and hospitable staff.
The room was nicely appointed, clean, and very well air-conditioned.
Don't expect to use the elevator for every trip up and down, but this is not minor inconvenience for such a lovely historical hotel.
I recommend the nearby cafés for any meal. They were all wonderful.

Stayed July 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mercedes in early August on our first trip to Paris. The pink, art deco facade was interesting and helped us recognize the hotel upon emerging from the wagram metro station. We had a first floor room, right above the lobby overlooking the coffee shop across the street (which amazingly is closed on weekends) so we had no need to use the tiny elevator. We noticed children (with no luggage) were frequent users, probably more of a novelty than actually needing a ride. Ours was a deluxe room with a comfortable king size bed, mini fridge and AC that actually worked. The only issue with the room was the small glass partition attached to the side of the tub, meant to be a shower curtain. It was absolutely useless as we were never able to shower without creating slippery puddles on the tiled bathroom floor. Wifi was intermittent, good in early morning but difficult to access in the evening. I read a review on another site that said their wifi is limited to 10 devices at a time. We found the hotel staff to be extremely friendly and helpful with the ability to communicate in english very much appreciated. Having the store right next door was a godsend, only wished they were open later in the evening as we were caught a couple times faced with a locked door upon returning from a day's sightseeing. Overall, the Mercedes served us well as a base for our daily sightseeing trips around Paris.

Room Tip: the elevator is tiny, if you have large suitcases you may want to request a room on a lower floor so...
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Poolguy
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I took my teenage daughter here for our 1st trip to Paris ..
we had a wonderful time and booked B&B for 4 days..
We enjoyed our stay from the full breakfast on offer to the clean bedroom ..
To be honest we did not spend a lot of time in the hotel but as a base it was great ...
Metro near by to the sights & sounds of the streets while we slept ..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bhgoodwin
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 16 April 2013

How can this hotel be rated as a 4 star? When checking in a lady, who seemed to be quite upset, was speaking with the receptionist in French. I checked in and got a voucher to use the internet but once in the room it didn't work. After telling my colleague who was with me in the reception, he told me that the lady was complaining about that that night. The internet never worked during the three night I stayed here. The cable TV only worked one night and there was only one channel in other language than French, CNN. When checking out they still had the courage of tell me that I took chocolate and chips from the minibar. I have stayed in 2-4 stars hotels and I would't complain that much it this would have been rated as a 2 star.The pictures at hotels.com give you a fake idea of what it really is.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business