“Noisy and dark”

Ranked #353 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Sao Paulo, SP
“Noisy and dark”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Many times during the night I woke up because of the sound of trucks and cars on the street. It is a very noisy area and the room doesn’t have any protection for that. It was impossible to have a good night of sleep. The superior room is very small and dark. It was very hard to pack in the darkness. I would never stay here again. The bathroom hasn’t any space to place our stuff.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Sometimes you can't go by the star rating of a hotel. It's IMPERATIVE to read as many reviews as possible about the hotel before booking seven nights. Do my husband and I wish we would have done so.
We found Hotel Lumen on various hotel search engines, but Otel.com was offering the best rate/package. We got seven nights including breakfast buffet for two and wifi for $1,718 ($245 a night). We were pretty thrilled since it was a great rate for a hotel rated four stars; the best we could find compared to other four star hotels. The pictures on the internet were spectacular. We couldn't wait for the day to arrive for our European getaway.
Fast forward five months and we arrive at the Lumen around 11am. We knew our room wouldn't be ready, so they placed our bags in their luggage closet. We returned around 3pm and are taken to our room; number 302. Our luggage was already inside. When we walk in, we couldn't believe this was the room they gave us. Let me start by saying that the room must have been no bigger than 150 square feet. It was pretty pathetic. It was so small, we had to figure out for a while how to arrange our luggage to be most efficient. The lighting in the room was the poorest I've ever had in any hotel room (and we've traveled even to the poorest of countries). The walkway lighting was so terrible, I couldn't even use it to apply makeup. The quality of that light was so bad, every flaw of my body appeared and reflected in that mirror. JI wanted to shoot myself. It was depressing, for a pregnant woman like me, to see that. Plus, the mirror was shattered and had clear tape holding it together. You mean to tell me that a four star hotel doesnt have the funds to replace that mirror? What if someone gets hurt opening the closet door where the mirror is at?
The bathroom was super tiny as well. The bathtub was so tiny, I had to take a shower sideways in order to fit properly. Mind you, I'm 5'1 weighing 130 lbs. That tub isn't meant for tall and perhaps full shaped people. There was no space in the bathroom to lay down all my toiletries. I had to keep them in my toiletry bags. They did provide a tiny round table in the bathroom, but it was for the toiletries they provided. That is all that could fit there. Towels were provided for two, but after day one, they stopped providing us hand towels. Why? I have no idea. After each shower, the room got so hot and humid, we had to open the windows in order to feel cool and comfortable, but since it was freezing outside, we couldn't leave the window open too long. The carpeting in the room was pretty disgusting. Where the carpeting meets the tile of the bathroom, the carpet was always damp. I'm guessing from humidity. It was so gross, we had to wear our sandals all the time and we never walked barefoot.
Are you looking for a quiet place to sleep? Then don't get any room near the street. WOW, construction started at 6AM with construction men yelling at each other. If a car was in a truck's way, be prepared to hear his horn full blast for 10 seconds straight until the car in front of him moves.
This hotel has no travel converter, so if it's of utmost importance to do your own hair, buy European hair tools. Their hair dryer in the bathroom was very weak and our travel adapter and converter blew the moment we plugged it in. I was not happy. I had to go spend 60 Euros on a mediocre blow-dry because of it.
Buffet breakfast was OK. Hot chocolate was very bland and they served the same thing every single day. An assortment of pastries are offered along with cereal, scrambled eggs, and overcooked ham.
Internet service was great. Very fast, but a code had to be entered each and every time I opened and closed my laptop.
Overall, this place was very disappointing. I would never recommend this place to anyone unless you are looking to get ripped off and stay in the room that looks like a crack house in The Projects. Terrible.......

Room Tip: Stay away from street side rooms!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leslie S
Lumen P, Director of Sales at Hotel Lumen, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Madam,

We thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre.
I appreciate your comments and of course read with disappointment that we failed in providing you the experience you were expected.
Please know that we take all your comments in consideration.
Sincerely.
Adeline Surault.
São Paulo, Brasil
Reviewed 13 November 2011

It s not a bad hotel, but you can find better hotels near there with the same price or cheaper. Lumen is well located, the bed is comfortable and the breakfast is good. But we stop here. The superior room it is not good as it appears in the hotel website. Also, it is a very dark hotel and needs some refurnish. I would say that if you choose this hotel it would had to be your last option in the neighbourhood. I'm sure there are better hotels near there. Some friends stayed at Mayfair Hotel and the location and the price and the breakfast are the same as Lumen but the room in Mayfair is much better. And I walked around and found many 4 stars hotels with the same price but superior places. Near Lumen we have very expensive 5 stars hotels or many 4 stars hotels like Lumen but Lumen is at the end of the best 4 stars hotels in this area. Avoid Lumen. There are Mayfair, Le littre and many others hotels in the area! Sorry, but it's my 7th time in Paris and the last one at Lumen....

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RCM1977
Lumen01, Responsable commercial at Hotel Lumen, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Lumen hotel.
We are sorry to learn that you didn’t enjoy in general your stay whit us.
Please be sure we have taken your remarks into great consideration and that we continually work with our team to improve day by day the quality of service for our guests
We have different types of Superior rooms at the hotel. Maybe there was a misunderstanding with the pictures on our websites. The websites shows the two designs.
We really look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you in order for us to restore the last impression.

Yours sincerely,

Adeline Surault
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2011

They turned a regular Paris building into a nice boutique hotel, so as others also mentionned, it's dark, but the staff will make you feel great, they are very attentive and helpful. Rooms remind you of regular apartments without kitchen, gives a really cozy feeling and the smell in the hotel...just amazing!
Location unbeatable. Next to Louvre, close to metro, bus and everything you need!
Restaurant in hotel is ok for breakfast, but for dinner try somewhere else (or make sure you don't take their saffron rice! Horrible!)

Room Tip: For quiet rooms take something on the side of the church.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Let me start with the good stuff....very convenient location - Metro right outside the hotel practically. Great lobby welcome and very friendly helpful staff. The restaurant is also good and staff friendly.

The dissappointments came when I entered my room. I asked for a room not facing the street as I know how noisy Paris can be, even the lightly trafficked street the noise can be dearening as this beautiful city is so old and often, noise travels right through the walls and windows of buildings. The reception assured me that my room was not on the street (facing the church in back) and was very quiet.

I was on the third floor. When I exited the elevator the hallway was dark and stank of some bad cleaning fluid trying to cover up some suspicous scents. The room was tiny!! And, I travel a lot. It was so small that I started to feel extremely claustrophobic. I was on the corner of the busy street and the windows faced the church (which had bells ringing regularly). The traffic noise was horrendous and I did not sleep a wink.

The room was also very dimly lit. I am always suspicious of bad lighting in hotel rooms because it is obviously covering up imperfections and the dinginess of the surroundings.

I would not stay in this hotel because for me, a hotel is a place to rest and get a good night's sleep, not feel like you are in a fading trendy nightclub.

My advice is stop by the restaurant for a meal, but skip checking in for a good rest.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Bucks
Reviewed 28 September 2011

A very well located hotel, a stone's throw from the Louvre.
I guess they would like to consider themselves a bit of a boutique hotel, not that big, funky decor in public areas and bedrooms.
The room was small but I was a single traveller and it was a city centre hotel - it certainly had enough space for what I needed.
The room was nicely presented with a large, if slightly odd bathroom as it was surrounded by glass in the room itself.
My main complaint would be the noise - you could constantly hear doors closing (banging!) around you - take ear plugs. It's a nice enough hotel, just with thin walls!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Hayleyrigg
Toronto
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My first time in Paris and I went alone. I had an amazing time at this hotel. The service, food and location were fantastic! I would and have recommended this hotel to all who go to Paris. I will definitely go back when I return to Paris.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TorontoAdventure
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review!

Thank you so much for your kind words. Please know that they have been shared with our staff.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back .

Kindest regards,